PDA

View Full Version : SMC speed

John Miliunas
10-07-2004, 3:03 PM
Not complaining here, but trying to figure out if something is amiss at my end. It seems that SMC pages are taking "forever" to load today. It could be at our end, depending on what the web cache server is doing, but I just thought I'd check and see if it might be something at the SMC end. Thanks! :cool:

Jim Becker
10-07-2004, 3:06 PM
I noticed a lot of network delay yesterday, especially to my email hosting. Maybe there is another "denial of service" attack going on out there. Strangely, enough, it seems my "spam" has dropped off significantly in the last few days. Go figure...

John Miliunas
10-07-2004, 3:13 PM
Don't know. We're on a fractional T-4 over here and service to most other sites does not seem to be affected. Maybe Keith's services are getting slammed with a lot of users. Hopefully, it's NOT another DOS attack! :cool:

Ken Salisbury
10-07-2004, 3:14 PM
I do not seem to be having any problems John -- -- it is probably Gremlins :D

Dave Right
10-07-2004, 5:15 PM
I agree with both of you, Jim & John. For me, yesterday & today very slow.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2004, 5:20 PM
John....I'm on a cable modem..broadband....it's been terribly slow at SMC the past 2 days. Other sites work fine!

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 5:23 PM
Cable here and slow the last couple of days also.

Steve Clardy
10-07-2004, 5:33 PM
Terrible slow here today. I only have dial-up.
Other sites are good today.
But sometimes it is every site I visit, so don't know if it is my end or SMC.
Steve

Ken Garlock
10-07-2004, 5:39 PM
Since people want to be politically correct, we should not say that something sucks, it might be an insult and we can't have that :eek: So let us refer to that unique condition as the object in question creating an intense low pressure area. ;) ;)

Yes, I noticed around 1 PM CDT that the response was miserable. I just checked the route using ping and was doing OK until I hit the DC node and then things went down hill. I also noticed occasional delays in the Newport News node. Then things go straight to pot at what I am guessing is the host site gateway,or whoever is 205.151.15.90. :eek: My observations were made using a tool called "Ping Plotter."

John Weber
10-07-2004, 6:31 PM
John,

I agree, I have a very fast broadband and SMC has been slow for a month or so. Off hours seem better, and some days are better then others, but it is never "zippy", like it was six months ago or like many other sites. I'm not sure if it's membership requesting more pages, or other loads on the servers, but very noticable.

John

Ted Shrader
10-07-2004, 6:50 PM
John -

Works fine here at home (cable) and at work (fractional T-1). Not aware of any DoS attacks right now, either.

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
10-07-2004, 9:14 PM
Well, I just figured out why my spam traffic reduced...my hosting service apparently now subscribes to the SORBS listings (http://www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net/) which is a service that lists "open relays" and other exploited mail servers. Unfortuantely, a friend and one of our SMC members got "bounced" by the system while trying to send me email earlier today. (he got through to me via SMC PM) It seems that his ISP/hosting service's SMTP mail server is "on the list"...

I have to tell you, there are apparently a great number of these "open relays" out there, 'cause I went from a hundred or more spam emails in a day to only 6 today since my server implemented the check. Sheesh!

But SMC is working just fine as are the other sites I regularly visit. Earlier, I really couldn't check as I was at a company facility and our proxies mess around with performance, anyway.

Gary Max
10-07-2004, 9:51 PM
I am on a phone line and just crawling along at a average of 36k----hey it's always slow.
I am the last person on the line---yah that's right the phone line ends here. Ok Ok it really ends about 1/2 a mile before my house and they have me on a extenison cord.
It gets slower if two birds sit on the line at the same time.

Keith Outten
10-08-2004, 2:39 AM
Although I haven't done a check on our server at HRO recently I know that at peak times we are slowing down due to server load. Our bandwidth consumption has never been a problem as our total network load is less than 50% of capacity at peak and we have a dedicated CIR on our T-1 line.

I have a cable modem at home and I have noticed that speed has been suffering lately. I just checked the Internet Traffic Report and it seems there are several network nodes down which is no doubt adding to the congestion. I suspect there are other problems as well considering access seems to be very slow now and it is very early (2:30 am). I will ask our System Administrator to run some diagnostics and we'll see what he comes up with.

We have known for several months that we should be upgrading our server as at peak times the load does tax our server capacity. We need to collect about $300.00 more before we purchase the remaining parts for a new server. The machine I wanted to build would be much more expensive however it doesn't seem likely that we will be able to fund it from the sale of hats so we will probably settle for a lesser server which should be fine for a couple of years.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

Frank Pellow
10-08-2004, 8:35 AM

We need to collect about $300.00 more before we purchase the remaining parts for a new server. The machine I wanted to build would be much more expensive however it doesn't seem likely that we will be able to fund it from the sale of hats so we will probably settle for a lesser server which should be fine for a couple of years.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

What ever happen to the idea of selling coffee ups in order to raise the extra money? Dennis started a thread to see if there was interest and there seems ed be A LOT of interest. Folks are willing to buy more cups than hats.

Keith Outten
10-08-2004, 8:17 PM
Frank,

Your right about the coffee cups. Jackie is in the process of obtaining information from our supplier and we have a couple other options for coffee cups. As soon as we have all the information we will start a new thread and provide the details.

Something interesting...I just purchased a Dye-Sublimation printer which is capable of making T-shirts, cups and a host of other products, the most important to me is color signs. The new printer is capable of 13" by 44" size prints and Aaron and I have been experimenting with transfering photos to Corian. Based on information that Ken Dolph provided I got interested in Corian signs last year. The down-side to Dye-Sub printing is that it isn't cheap so it can't compete with mass production techniques like screen printing. The quality however is just awesome.

We just received our new Dye-Sub printer last week and I have to tell you that even though our first two prints had color correction problems the process is very interesting. Wednesday night Aaron was successful in getting the color problems corrected and I now have a perfect print to try in my heat press tomorrow.

The heat press will transfer the ink from the photo about 0.002" deep into the Corian which results in a permanent photo that looks like it is printed on Kodak paper. I hope to be able to then take the Corian photos to my laser engraver and add details. I also can see multi-color Corian signs that are possible using white for the photo portion and any other color for the frame.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the next print.

Ken Dolph
10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Keith,

Congratulations - you are the first to really try my instructions for dye-subbing Corian. The results are amazing and yet no one has believed me but you,

I have found that you can use older images than with other techniques. Usually you must use your film right away but I have done pieces with film that is months old.

Also remember that Corian is translucent, particularly 1/4" so you can back light your images for a stained glass look.

Thanks
Ken

Keith Outten
10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Ken,

You were so right about dye-sub and Corian. Everyone I have shown my first few Corian Pictures have been really impressed. The colors are vibrant and the photos look like they are printed on Kodak paper...fantastic!

Thanks Ken for the tip, I'll have to call you again now that I have tried Corian Photos, I have lots of questions concerning other techniques, heat transfer timing, etc.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Uh, Keith, pics??? :)

Keith Outten
10-13-2004, 1:19 PM
Chris,

Yep...your right in that I owe you some pics but all of the Corian photos I have done have been grabbed up by folks and I'm not sure if I will ever see them again. I will however print another photo, one that is of interest to our woodworking community and post the photo ASAP.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Richard Pothier
10-19-2004, 7:21 PM
Hi,all
I have cable,(Charter) and it seems to be a lot slower than it used to be.
Richard in Walnut