PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Turning Again

Clint Baxter
12-13-2009, 12:02 AM
I turned my first bowls from a chunk of Mesquite that had fallen from a tree. It came from my wife's grandmothers place in the Rio Grande valley not far from Brownsville. I turned the wood green, let it dry for several months and then replaced it onto the lathe for final turning. The wood was so hard, my lathe tools, (old Buck Brothers tools that I got with my Shopsmith), just wanted to bounce off the wood. After applying serious pressure, I got these shaped to the point where I was able to sand to the shape you see here. Now, nearly 25 years later, I'm finally able to get back into a bit of bowl turning. Nice new *sharp* tools, a decent lathe and lots of reading and researching you see my latest endeavors. I finished them both with pure tung oil.

Appreciate any and all critiques and comments.

Clint

Norm Zax
12-13-2009, 4:24 AM
Same floor as background. Much nicer bowls. Welcome back...

Jim Kountz
12-13-2009, 6:50 AM
Nice looking bowls, the first and the latest. Glad to see you're back to turning again!!

John Keeton
12-13-2009, 7:01 AM
That cocobolo is beautiful!! Nice work.

Rob Cunningham
12-13-2009, 9:06 AM
Beautiful wood and bowls. Welcome back to turning.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2009, 9:51 AM
Great looking bowls. Nice finish on them. Good to see you back turning again.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice work Clint! Really pretty wood on all your bowls! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

alex carey
12-13-2009, 6:51 PM
No one escapes from the vortex for too long, 25 years is pretty good though. Nice looking bowls, especially the cocobolo.