PDA

View Full Version : Ponderosa Pine bowl

Curt Fuller
12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I haven't turned much pine and after turning this I'm not sure if I'll turn much more. But this sure made my garage smell good while I was working on it. This bowl is Ponderosa Pine, 11.5" x 2.5" and finished with Briwax. The dark areas in the grain are some kind of resin, very hard, and somewhat translucent. The wood came from a tree in our town that was in the yard of an old landmark home that was recently torn down for "progress". The owners have asked me to make a few things for them from the wood. After turning a few things from this sticky, gooey wood I know why you don't see a lot of pine turnings.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Boy Curt you did that thing justice. Really a beauty. I don't like turning pine either. I have 4 pieces of six that were given to me. I turned two and those 4 have been sitting now for about 4 or 5 yrs.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Beautiful bowl Curt! Love the grain and form! I am sure the folks will be happy with it!

We have a lot of Jack Pine where I live and while it can have a lot of blue streaks through the wood - it is so full of pitch that you can't turn it without it sticking to everything! With a basement shop - that is a real pain to have to deal with. Love the smell but don't turn it often because of the mess - so I understand why you would hesitate to turn more of this.

charlie knighton
12-13-2009, 9:07 AM
very nice, we all have to try something once to understand what they told us

Chris Hayes
12-13-2009, 9:14 AM
Curt -- Great bowl. I love turning Pine (any variety) because it does make the shop smell great; also because not many turn it. The ring lines are what make this piece very interesting (and that is something I look forward to every time I turn a something of pine).

Good job-- can't wait to see more.

John Keeton
12-13-2009, 9:30 AM
Nice shape Curt! I reclaimed an old timber a few years ago from a pile of old growth pine a friend had. I used it to hang an elk mount. I was so full of resin/pitch that it gummed up my saw and everything it touched. That beam must have been well over 100 years old, and still gummy! Beautiful color, though.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2009, 9:35 PM
That certainly is a very nice bowl Curt, and no pine (of any kind) is no favorite turning wood of mine, well done !!

David Christopher
12-13-2009, 9:55 PM
Curt, thats a beautiful bowl....Ive turned a bit of that and found if I dipped my gouge in wax every few passes it helped ( didnt solve the problem but helped )

Gary Conklin
12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
It's a shame that pine is so messy because as you have proven Curt it looks great!

steven carter
12-14-2009, 2:48 PM
Curt,

It was nice that you took such effort to produce an heirloom, it is a beautiful bowl. If ever there was a good reason to turn pine, I think you found it.

Steve