PDA

View Full Version : Wrong plate for my router?

Scott Apple
12-12-2009, 8:53 PM
Hello,

Months ago I bought a router plate from Rockler for a router table I was making. Long story short I put the project off for a bit and only recently restarted it. I unpacked the router plate today and for the life of me can't figure out how to get it to fit to my router. I have a Bosch 1617 router kit. I was planning to use the fixed base so I could take advantage of the above the table hieght adjustment built in. Can someone take a look at my plate and tell me if this works for my router? If not, can someone recommend a cheap plate that will?

http://s3.postimage.org/8znBA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq8znBA)

Myk Rian
12-12-2009, 8:55 PM
Use the base plate to mark and drill new holes. Use a centering pin to get it in the middle.

Scott Apple
12-12-2009, 9:32 PM
Use the base plate to mark and drill new holes. Use a centering pin to get it in the middle.

I prefer to just use the correct plate if at all possible. If Rockler sent me the wrong one I'm all about sending it back if I can.

Adam Strong
12-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I prefer to just use the correct plate if at all possible. If Rockler sent me the wrong one I'm all about sending it back if I can.

If months have gone by there is really no chance of them taking it back I would think (never hurts to give them a call). If the holes don't line up, you only have the one option... drill new holes.

johnny means
12-13-2009, 2:11 AM
Of course it's the right plate... for your shiny new router:D.

Conrad Fiore
12-13-2009, 9:27 AM
Scott,
The hole pattern either fits, or it doesn't. If the holes in your router don't line up with the holes in the plate, I would think there is no other explanation than the plate is not correct. Call Rockler customer service, they are very reasonable and will make good if they sent you the incorrect plate.

Stephen Edwards
12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Is this plate one or their new ones or is it one of the "discontinued" models? What are the dimensions of the plate? If one of the latter, have you checked this plate for flatness?

If at all possible, I'd get the one made for your router.

glenn bradley
12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Scott, Conrad and Stephen hit on the two main points other than the one I'll offer; do not get a "cheap plate that will". Cutting corners on the plate of the table support will only bring eventual dissatisfaction and cause a rebuild/buy.

Check the part number on the plate packaging (you have that, right?) and call Rockler or go online. Once you verify that the plate is correct or incorrect you can discuss an exchange. If the plate is one of their recently discontinued models I would keep it as a spare to be drilled later or sell it to someone who can use that hole pattern.

I believe the current models are 8-1/4" x 11-3/4" whereas the old ones were 8" x 11". They also offer(ed?) a "large" plate but I don't know the dimension. HTH.

Stephen Edwards
12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
IF you have to drill this plate yourself, here's a good step by step process from fellow creeker Bill Huber that I used:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1016630#poststop

I bought one of the Rockler discontinued plates. The first one arrived with a bad dip. They sent a second one, same thing. I spoke with their tech dept and the guy told me that he personally checked all of the plates on hand and that they all had some degree of deflection.

I told him that I needed a flat plate. He sent the third discontinued plate and it too was defective, this time with a bad crown on about 1/3 the length of the plate. So, that's why I suggest that you check the flatness of this plate if you bought one of the discontinued plates.

To their credit, Rockler did make it right by sending one of their new size plates and it was perfectly flat. But, it had no holes in it. By this time I was so frustrated that I just kept it and drilled it myself.

Also, to be fair to Rockler, they told me to keep all of the defective plates at no charge.

If you bought one of their current models, pre-drilled for your Bosch 1617, it should be item number Group A Routers (#24060) on this page:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21299

At a glance of your photo, the hole pattern doesn't appear to be the same hole pattern that fits my router, which is the same as yours.

If you bought one of their discontinued plates, and if that plate is perfectly flat, you may be stuck with drilling it yourself to accommodate your router.

As Glenn said, whatever you decide to do, make sure that you don't cut corners to save a few bucks on the plate. You want a flat plate and you want it fit your router, perfectly, even if you have to drill it yourself.

If you do drill it yourself, I recommend drilling a flat bottom hole for the screws and using pan head screws to mount the router to the plate. That gives you a bit of room to play with if your holes aren't "perfectly" aligned. You want to be sure the router is perfectly centered in the hole if you ever need to use bushings.

Scott Apple
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I just checked for flatness which I honestly never thought of before. I just assumed it would be flat (otherwise whats the point?) apparently this was a silly assumption because the plate is bowed by about 2mm.

The plate is one of the older 8x11 discontinued models. I knew it was discontinued though because when I purchased the plate it was on clearance.

I'll call Rockler on monday and see if they can help me. Thank you all for the assistance.

Stephen Edwards
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I just checked for flatness which I honestly never thought of before. I just assumed it would be flat (otherwise whats the point?) apparently this was a silly assumption because the plate is bowed by about 2mm.

The plate is one of the older 8x11 discontinued models. I knew it was discontinued though because when I purchased the plate it was on clearance.

I'll call Rockler on monday and see if they can help me. Thank you all for the assistance.

That's the same size plate that I originally ordered and that they sent 3 defective ones. When you call them, I'd suggest that you ask to speak with someone in tech support. Tell them the problem and tell them that you need a perfectly flat plate. As I explained in my previous post their tech guy told me that everyone he checked had some degree of deflection.

I like Rockler and am a loyal customer. However, IMO, they should not be sending out defective plates unless they advertise them as such. Discontinued isn't the same as defective, IMHO.

They should absolutely be able to help you. I'd ask for an upgrade to the current model IF they don't have any of the discontinued models that are perfectly flat.