PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Uses for Power Tools......

Eric Sayre
12-12-2009, 8:49 PM
Woodworkers are self-taught leaders at improvising. But when you're working on problems outside of the "workshop" and you have all those power tools at your disposal, anything can happen.

I just chased a mouse out of my kitchen, into the laundry room. It ran into a hole in the dryer vent hose (where it aparently entered my house) and into the PVC venting under the house.

I went outside and looked into the vent and saw him (about 8-10 feet away) laughing at me. Since I was afraid he would run back up into the house, I turned on the dryer. Didn't work - he still stared at me from his little nesting place where it was warm.

That's when I drug my 2HP portable dust collector through the kitchen & out onto the porch (as far as the cord would reach). The 20' long 4" dia. hose was just long enough to get to the outside vent.

I shut off the dryer, removed the louvered vent flap, and sucked the mouse out of my house. Not only did I get the mouse, but I cleaned all the lint out of the venting system and dryer.

Man, I'm going to write a great review on that dust collector!

So....What are the strangest things you've used power tools for?

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 9:00 PM
um.....did the mouse go through an impeller? yuck...

clever though! nicely done.

Myk Rian
12-12-2009, 9:11 PM
Got a mouse with my pin nailer. Since it doesn't have a safety, it worked quite well at a 3ft distance.

Heath Brandenburg
12-13-2009, 12:01 AM
That's great. My wife has recently suggested that I use the dust collector to clean our dryer vent. The suggestion came after I had verbally pondered the idea of cleaning the HVAC ducts with the DC.

Paul Atkins
12-13-2009, 12:35 AM
We used to shoot flies on the ceiling with our nail guns during slow times. There must have been a thousand nails in the insulation. I needed a coffee fix one day and only had whole beans and no grinder. i duct taped a paper cup to my router with the largest bit I could find and poured in the beans. In less than a minute had fresh ground coffee. Used a lag bolt for a cork screw once. Used the dust collector to "collect" ceiling insulation once, till the bag came off in the kitchen ----

Mark Rios
12-13-2009, 12:51 AM
I often use my tablesaw as a hammer.

Michael Wetzel
12-13-2009, 7:53 AM
I use my tool collection in place of a savings account :D

Dennis McGarry
12-13-2009, 8:47 AM
I use my tool collection in place of a savings account :D

+10!

I had my blower in the Furnace couple years ago go out at around 10pm on a very cold night, instead of freezing, wired the circuit to think the blower was ON and used the leaf blower to move the air every couple hours until I got the replacement the next morning... :)

curtis rosche
12-13-2009, 8:54 PM
tried to use a cold chisel to pry off a bearing, damaged the chisel.
tried to use a maul to cut up a lawn chair instead of a hacksaw, it worked well when it was used on a chopping block, till i got to that one peice of steel rod that goes across the back, put a huge dent in the blade......

Rick Potter
12-14-2009, 2:32 AM
Took a portable DC to a rental with a blocked dryer pipe. Blew out lotsa lint, toys, and a golf ball.

Rick Potter

rick fulton
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Chased possums and raccoons out of my garage/shop with my leaf blower.

Ben Franz
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
All tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
You can use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust to unclog a stopped up drain.

Shop vacs also work well fro removing unwanted stinging or buzzing insects from a room.

I just saw an episode of "Ask This Old House" where someone has invented an accessory for a reciprocating saw to shake paint cans quickly.

John Baranowski
12-14-2009, 1:23 PM
You can use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust to unclog a stopped up drain.
Sounds like a recipe for goop in the face...

george wilson
12-15-2009, 9:46 AM
How do you cut up a chair with a maul?

David Epperson
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
All tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers.And screwdrivers which are chisels. :D (and pry bars)

Brian Brown
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
All tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers.

Stop impersonating my wife!!! :D:D:D

And screwdrivers which are chisels. :D (and pry bars)
My only use for screwdrivers is for slipping off a screw head, and driving them through my hand at high speed.

John Shuk
12-15-2009, 4:45 PM
I use my powertools as hearing protection.
When my wife is talking at me I turn something on and she goes away.:rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
12-15-2009, 4:59 PM
I've used a jointer infeed table as temporary birth control.

Of course you have to be the correct height, and walk into it with correct part of your body.

Regards, Rod.

Patrick Doody
12-15-2009, 5:29 PM
the old manual I have for my delta "Shop" says you can use the drill press to mix salad dressings.

Mark Hix
12-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Pliers make great can openers. I am better w/ a razor knife at wrapping presents than I am with scissors.

curtis rosche
12-16-2009, 6:09 PM
How do you cut up a chair with a maul?
aluminum lawn chair, set it on a chopping block, and swing, it cuts through with one hit, works really well, untill you get to that steel brace that run across where your but would be.