PDA

View Full Version : Help with Performax 22/44 please!

Clisby Clark
12-12-2009, 8:05 PM
I've got an ancient 22/44 (I believe first generation Performax) that is causing me fits. The problem is some boards will stall in the feeding process which produces a great big depression across the board. I know I'm not taking off very much material-I usaually start sanding when the lowered drum just makes contact and then add about 1/8 to 1/4 turn per pass. The feed belts seem to be OK but I'm not sure what they were like when new. I'm using 120 grit paper. Wood is poplar, pine, or maple-nothing fancy. All responses will be appreciated or else check ebay for a cheap Performax! Thanks

Cliff Holmes
12-12-2009, 8:11 PM
Have you checked the pressure rollers? IIRC, the spring tension is adjustable.

Clisby Clark
12-12-2009, 9:47 PM
I've got the manual out in the shop somewhere. I'll look into that. Thanks again

John Coloccia
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Is the wood slipping or is the conveyor slipping?

Clisby Clark
12-12-2009, 10:32 PM
until I push it through. It emerges from the other side with the big sniped hollow. Thanks

Rod Upfold
12-13-2009, 8:46 AM
until I push it through. It emerges from the other side with the big sniped hollow. Thanks

Sounds like you are taking too big of a bite...

Rod

Fred Preston
12-13-2009, 9:09 AM
I don't know about the performax but I have a woodtek dual drum sander and 1/16 turn per pass is about maximum. 1/4 turn would stall and trip breaker to say nothing of the snipe it would create. I think you may be pushing it a bit. try less and see if that doesnt help.

John Coloccia
12-13-2009, 9:40 AM
I think someone else nailed it with the pressure rollers. There's a procedure in the manual for setting them (you drop the head to a specific height off the conveyor, and cinch down the rollers). Your conveyor might also be worn, especially if you've ever sucked it into the drum.

1/4 turn is 1/64", I believe. That's about .015. Seems about right. Sometimes I'll go just a little lighter if the wood's fighting me.