PDA

View Full Version : Picture size ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-15-2003, 10:43 PM
I apologize for the huge picture on the last post. I have now resized the pictures to be somewhat smaller when posted. Here is the load of cherry logs I managed to haul off. They should keep me turning for a while.

Ted Shrader
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Ron -

How are you going to convert them to usable planks? Do you have access to a sawmill?

Curious,
Ted
(in Va Bch)

Tom Sweeney
02-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Apparantly after you have been woodworking for a certain length of time you will be approached by an insedious secret society. They apparantly have some sort of Force that can be used for good or evil. Their mission is to assimilate as many woodworkers as possible to the dark side.

<p align="center"><font size="3" color="red"><b>I think that if Darth Vader had a beard he would bare a striking resemlance to some guy named Bill Grumbine.</b></font> :D </p>
apparantly the weapon of choice for those of the dark side is a chainsaw :p

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-16-2003, 12:02 PM
My brother in law has a friend who has a horizontal bandsaw mill. Since I'm relatively new to the area, I don't have all of these connections yet, but I'm working on it. There are several logs with good straight lengths we'll saw, but there are four or five that have so many knots and bends, they'll be strictly for bowl blanks. My brother in law has informed me that he has saved some maple, red oak, walnut and some poplar for me also. As soon as the weatherr clears a little, I'm going to go capture this also. Wish me luck.

Ted Shrader
02-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Ron -

Sounds like lots of fun. I have a contact down here with a sawmill and kiln. His portable bandsaw is now fixed ... ie in an open shed. Will do custiom work.

Good luck wit your stuff!
Ted

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 6:01 PM
Just a note on safety. My father in law huals around logs in his pickup also. Well one day with a trailer full of wood and the bed of the truck he lost his breaks. The short story, he tried to make it into a lake to stop, allmost got through the last bit of trees. hit one square on. Lucky the log sitting above the bed was in the middle so when it crashed forward it did not take his head off.

Just something to think about when loading those logs.

Dave

Jason Roehl
02-16-2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hammelef
Just a note on safety. My father in law huals around logs in his pickup also. Well one day with a trailer full of wood and the bed of the truck he lost his breaks. The short story, he tried to make it into a lake to stop, allmost got through the last bit of trees. hit one square on. Lucky the log sitting above the bed was in the middle so when it crashed forward it did not take his head off.

Just something to think about when loading those logs.

Dave

Same goes for using cinder blocks for extra weight in the winter. Should an idiot on the road (it's never OUR fault) cause you to wreck, those blocks or logs become missiles, like Dave said. I even once heard of a flatbed semi hauling plate metal without a cabguard (the vertical plate on the front of the flatbed) get in a wreck. The TOP of the cab and driver were not-so-cleanly separated from the BOTTOM of the cab and driver when the load sliced through the cab.

Be safe!

Jason