PDA

View Full Version : Close to ordering Jet 16-32Plus

Larry Anderson
12-12-2009, 4:23 PM
Any words of wisdom or caveats before I pull the proverbiable trigger? Something you think is better, in the same price range of course?

David Peterson MN
12-12-2009, 4:48 PM
Do it! I use my 16-32 way more than I ever thought I would. You won't regret it. But remember that they(or something similar) pops up on craigslist quite often. At least around here they do. I did buy mine used and have no regrets.

Larry Anderson
12-12-2009, 5:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement David; I probably will. Living in the boonies I can't easily drop into a store and "kick the tires" before I buy, and rely on user reports.

keith ouellette
12-12-2009, 5:08 PM
I like the 16/32 and I bought mine used. I wish paper was cheeper but thats not the sanders fault.

Robert Chapman
12-12-2009, 8:00 PM
I have a 16-32 and so far really like it. I hate ROS. If you buy one be prepared to spend some time [hours] getting the feed belt to track straight. After you get that set you will really like this machine. I work mostly with maple and use 150 grit paper on the drum. Then I ROS with 150, 180 and 220 before staining/finishing. The sander will also flatten stock but doesn't replace the jointer/planer. Don't buy an old one without the automatic feed control. Have fun.

Paul Ryan
12-12-2009, 9:04 PM
Larry,

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I was going to buy the exact same machine all year. I was going to buy one for mainly flatening panels and cleaning up glue ups. The past 2 months I have learned to use my older stanley planes instead. I have a #5 and a #4 that I now use for flattening everything. I bought the #5 of ebay for $25 and the #4 was an inheritance. I have now decided not to purchase a drum sander because using the planes is very easy and a heck of a lot cheaper. Just my .02

Cliff Holmes
12-12-2009, 9:46 PM
Don't buy an old one without the automatic feed control.

I have to disagree on that. I picked up a used 16/32 without SandSmart or SmartSand, whatever it's called. Several people here on SMC told me is was of limited value and I've had no problems with stalling. Considering that I only paid $225 and that included about $100 worth of sandpaper, I don't miss the auto-control at all.

If you can land a good deal on an older model, I say go for it.

John Coloccia
12-12-2009, 10:11 PM
If I knew an easy way to disable the sand smart on mine I'd do it. I just don't care for it. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just a personal preference.

As I've said many times, I have a serious love/hate relationship with my 22/44. Be prepared for some frustration getting it setup, tracking straight etc. Definitely be prepared to use a sled for thinner items, or you'll suck the conveyor into the drum due to the dust collection. A piece of plywood/masonite/whatever, as long as it's straight, with sandpaper glued to it works fine as a sled.

IMHO, there's better machines out there, but not in this price range. For the price, you get a pretty decent machine that will give you great results with a little investment of frustration.