PDA

View Full Version : Tanged Tool Handles

Leif Hanson
10-07-2004, 1:03 PM
I had a little extra money come my way recently - so decided to treat myself with a couple new tools - a pair of patternmaker rasps. Since I spent a fair amount of money on them (to me, anyway), I figured I should make a decent pair of handles to fit them. I documented the process and added a section on making handles for tanged chisels and rasps on my website, as a companion to the one I did earlier on making handles for socket chisels, if anyone is interested.

Tanged Tool Handles (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/tang/tangintro.htm)

and the previous article just for reference:

Socket Chisel Handles (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/handles.htm)

Both use the same first page, I hope it isn't too confusing - but I didn't see any need to reinvent the wheel as they each use the same basic set up. I haven't got a finished shot up of them at the end, as they are still *being* finished, but will add it to the end of the article when they are.

I realize it's a fairly simple thing to do, but I've been asked many times on how I make handles for tools... So I made these pages up for that reason. So don't be alarmed if it's all old news if you read it!

Thanks for looking!
Leif

Tom LaRussa
10-07-2004, 3:37 PM
I documented the process and added a section on making handles for tanged chisels and rasps on my website, as a companion to the one I did earlier on making handles for socket chisels, if anyone is interested.

I realize it's a fairly simple thing to do, but I've been asked many times on how I make handles for tools... So I made these pages up for that reason. So don't be alarmed if it's all old news if you read it!

Thanks Leif!

Between you and Bob S this place is like a free, ongoing seminar on fine tool making. :)

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 3:46 PM
Not quite free, Tom...you are at work reading the forum, right?! :D

Nice job, Leif.

Marc Hills
10-07-2004, 4:51 PM
Hmm, this is either reason #437 or #438 for "Why I really need to get a lathe."

Thanks for sharing, Leif. I don't know why I find this sort of post so fascinating, but I do.

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 4:53 PM
Marc,

A spokeshave and a drill press can take the spot of a lathe for some things.... :)

Dave Anderson NH
10-07-2004, 4:54 PM
Posts giving instructions on simple techniques which appear complicated to the uninitiated are always appreciated here. I like your step by step photo essay on your website.

I have used similar methods for both patternmakers rasps and for my saw sharpening files, though my choices of wood were different.:D I also have a tendency to use whatever is left in the cutoff bins though I try and use exotic cutoffs if possible because the looks please me. In the frst pic the #49 handle is East Indian Rosewood and the bastard cut rasp handle is a mahogany cutoff. The saw file handles are Black Locust and Lacewood.

Leif Hanson
10-07-2004, 9:06 PM
Thanks all!

Here's a couple of finished shots of the handles:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/tang/tang20003.jpg

Closer up:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/chisels/tang/tang20004.jpg

The shapes aren't all that uniform, mostly because I just eyeball these things... I'm not sure how I like this particular shape, it's new to me. I've seen others sing this particular shapes praises, so I thought I would try it out on these. The two on the right are cantsaw files I got for a special project I'm working on - the handles for those are hickory. The two on the left are ash.

Dave - It's pretty obvious you are a much more accomplished turner than I am. I don't do it that often, usually only for quick projects like these. I do agree that the exotic woods make for much better looking handles - yours are way cool and I am going to try make some awls and marking knives like you do - even got the tool steel waiting in the wings for the opportunity. I find what you make is really inspiring! Tom mentioned Bob S. - he's another one that does way cool stuff I can only try to emulate. I think I could say the same of many of the posters here!

Biggest reason I don't use exotic woods is the same reason I don't do much turning - and probably the biggest reason I'm a knuckle dragger... The dust makes me sneeze something awful. I turned a knob for my old Stanley 45 once out of padauk (sp?), and barely got it done... had to come back to it 2 or 3 times after giving myself a breather (literally!). I didn't think I was going to make it! The exotics are by far the hardest on me, though it doesn't stop me - just slows me down and makes me think about wood choice more.

The standard domestic hardwoods are much more tolerable, so you'll notice most of the work I do is done with them. Man, I wish that wasn't the case...:(

Thanks again, all!