PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Jig....advice

Jim Kappel
12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm looking to put the finishing touches on a project. It has four drawers and I'd like to dovetail them.

I'm looking for input on which dovetail jig to buy. I would like to try an entry level one at this point. The dream is for a Leigh someday. That day is not today! I simply can't afford that at this time. I could probably swing $100-150 tops.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Myk Rian
12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Entry level? HF has one. Does blind DTs. $35
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34102
Same as the PC and Grizzly.

Jim Kappel
12-12-2009, 11:52 AM
This may sound kind of dumb, but what bits, collars, etc do I need to make dovetails?

Jim

John Coloccia
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I know this isn't answering your question, but have you considered cutting them by hand? With just a little practice it's far easier than most people would ever imagine.

Anyhow, at one time I had an old porter cable, I think. I picked it up used and ended up giving it away when I learned how easy it was to cut them by hand. I would personally look at craigslist and eBay and try to pick one up used. Short of bending it or breaking it, it's a pretty simple device that's difficult to mangle unless you're really abusing it.

Scott Hildenbrand
12-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Entry level? HF has one. Does blind DTs. $35
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34102
Same as the PC and Grizzly.

What would you say a step up from this would be? I'd been considering getting one for some time.. Prefer not to get a bone cheap one and want to upgrade later..

But then, not looking for top of the line either.. What's the middle ground?

Jim Kappel
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I definitely want to learn to hand cut them....just not now. I don't have the saws, bench, or time. But someday I will!

Myk Rian
12-12-2009, 1:09 PM
Here's a good manual for most of the entry level ones.

Josh Rudolph
12-12-2009, 1:21 PM
Though I have never used it, the Keller dovetail jig gets pretty decent reviews. They list their beginner model 1500 for $159. Amazon has it for $125.16.

I lucked out and got a D4R for less than half of new a couple years back. I love it.

Darrin Davis
12-12-2009, 1:28 PM
I've used all the way from $30 entry level cheap jigs to the Leight 24" (which is awesome). If you want the one stop shop easy buy that includes everything you need excluding the router and wood just look at Rocklers (everything you need) jig.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17367&filter=dovetail

This would be a no-brainer buy for an entry level dovetail jig.

Tom Esh
12-12-2009, 1:54 PM
I have the PC 4200 series which does a great job, but one thing to note about routing dovetails is without some sort of dust collection it makes a huge mess (basically shoots a hot stream of wood dust directly at you). If I had a do-over I'd take a close look at the Rocker. It's reasonably priced and a dust collection attachment that looks like it might be effective.

paul cottingham
12-12-2009, 4:45 PM
Though I have never used it, the Keller dovetail jig gets pretty decent reviews. They list their beginner model 1500 for $159. Amazon has it for $125.16.

I lucked out and got a D4R for less than half of new a couple years back. I love it.

The Keller rocks. I had a bit of tearout in my first dovetail, but they fit perfectly.

Nick Sorenson
12-12-2009, 5:10 PM
I have the Keller and like it a lot. I now only need box joints. I wish I could find a good deal on an old industrial hauncher (fingerjoint machine). That'd do it all in one pass! But that's dreaming of course. I have no room for something like that anyways.

paul cottingham
12-12-2009, 5:22 PM
Keller sells a bit for their jigs that will cut box joints.

Larry Anderson
12-12-2009, 5:28 PM
That Rockler sale makes me want to order one whether I need it or not.

Ray Newman
12-12-2009, 5:55 PM
Another vote for the Keller.

It is very simple -- almost foolproof -- & the short instructional video is also very helpful.

Jim Rimmer
12-12-2009, 9:26 PM
I've used all the way from $30 entry level cheap jigs to the Leight 24" (which is awesome). If you want the one stop shop easy buy that includes everything you need excluding the router and wood just look at Rocklers (everything you need) jig.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17367&filter=dovetail

This would be a no-brainer buy for an entry level dovetail jig.

I have that Rockler jig and they are pretty easy to use. (I paid about the amount in the add without the dust collector) I haven't used others so I don't have anything to compare to other than what I have read here at the SMC and in magazines.

All I can tell you is go the the borg, by some cheap pine boards and practice, practice, practice.

Scott Hildenbrand
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Seems like the Keller jigs are a whole lot of $$ for not much, or am I missing something? Looks to just be a routing template.

Darrell Bade
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
When I built my cabinets last year I used the basic PC jig that is not even as fancy as the basic PC jig they sell now. It looks like the current Woodcraft jig. It was easy to set up and use and I had never done dovetails before. The fancy jigs are nice but the cheap one got the job done for me.

Jim Kappel
12-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I pulled the trigger on the Rockler for $119. I'm going to get the DC hood later. It wasn't available online at this time.

We'll see how it goes...

Thanks all!

Jeff Mohr
12-13-2009, 9:56 PM
+1 for the Keller. Easy and accurate.