PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone filter cleaning tip

Paul Greathouse
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I cleaned my Oneida cylcone filter as per Oneida's recommendations the first couple times but recently I was jointing and planing a bunch of Black Walnut which produces some superfine dust. The air flow gauge was reading higher than it ever has, up around 4.5, 5 is the top of the scale.

I cleaned it as per Oneida's recommendations again (compressor air blown from the outside) but it didn't help much according to the gauge. I took the filter off to get a better look. It was still very caked with dust, then I thought "Gas Powered Leaf Blower".

The leaf blower worked great, I did blow inside the filter in addition to blowing on the outside. Blowing on the inside is what really did the trick. I blew through one opening toward the other opening. Doing so removed all visible dust/residue from the fold in the filter and brought my air flow gauge back to its original reading of about 1.8 with one blast gate open.

Oh, and be sure to do this outside the shop, think Oklahoma dust bowl.:D

Clay Crocker
12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Paul,

That sounds like a great tip! I will give it a try next time I clean my cyclone filter.

Clay