PDA

View Full Version : My first laser..........what now!!!!

Tom Chenault
12-12-2009, 9:57 AM
Howdy Folks,
I just purchased my first laser. I've been lurking here for a quite a while and learning from a distance. This forum has been very helpful. I am currently in the commercial embroidery business, (15 years), and looking to add engraving. I purchased a large rotary engraver a couple of years ago and haven't done a whole lot with it. The laser road attracted me after I started researching some. My "new" laser is a used epilog radius only 25 watt but got it at a good price to see if I can make it work for us. I pick it up locally on Monday and need to know if there is anything special about moving it. It has had very little use since they purchased it new and is in immaculate shape. It has air assist and rotary attachment. Computer system with Corel and other goodies too. I'm looking forward to learning and hope I don't become a nuisance with all my questions!!!!

moT

Mike Null
12-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Welcome Tom.

Ask away.

Cassondra Bennett
12-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Its overwhelming at first but the possibilities are endless!!! do you have any corel files that you can practice with?

If not let me know I will send you a couple so you can get a feel for your new baby!! or search on here for some cdr files you can use there are so many great people who are always willing to answer question and share from thier experience

Good luck!!
You are gonna love it!!!!!:D

Dee Gallo
12-12-2009, 8:30 PM
Hi Tom, welcome to the Creek! Here is a photo of my Epilog when I first got it, so you can see the packing - the most important thing is to secure the head from moving, so move it to the top right corner and tie it to the rail. Also, lower the bed all the way down.

You're in for some fun times! And this place has the best people with loads of experience and good advice... believe me, I've benefited from it plenty!

cheers, dee

Ian Wilson (AUST)
12-13-2009, 6:47 AM
Hi Tom,

I was in the same boat 9 months ago and I have loved the journey so far!!!
I'm sure you will.

Good luck mate.

Ian

Tom Chenault
12-14-2009, 7:03 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Cassandra. Right now I have nothing so any practice "stuff" you might recommend would be helpful. Happy Holidays!
moT

Tom Chenault
12-14-2009, 7:05 PM
Thanks Dee, a picture is worth a thousand words! Knowing where to park the head is very helpful. Happy Holidays!
moT

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-14-2009, 9:05 PM
See this post about moving a laser

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116150