PDA

View Full Version : Slick Question

John Powers
12-12-2009, 9:49 AM
I recently rummaged up a Buck Brothers Tang chisle. 2 inches wide, blade 9 inches before tapering into tang. No identifier on blade but whats left of the beaten to hell handle is a Buck. Its a big straight thing. My question is; is that a Slick and when I rehandle should it be one of those longer push type handles. I won't be timber framing but I will be making another little boat and Wiki says slicks are for those uses. suggestions on handle are appreciated. I don't turn but thats a seperate issue.

Pam Niedermayer
12-12-2009, 10:44 AM
It could be either a slick or a very wide chisel, so if you put a slick type handle on it, it will be a slick. You don't need to turn a handle. Instead you could use a draw knife and/or spokeshaves to shape it.

Pam

Jim Koepke
12-12-2009, 3:43 PM
As Pam says, there are many ways to make a handle for a non-turner.

A couple of my chisels, including a 2" Stanley have old chair legs or parts of chair stretchers for handles. If you can find an old wooden baseball bat, the handle end would be a good start for a slick handle.

Just one more thought, the shape I now turn for socket chisel handles looks an awful lot like a detail from some Windsor style chairs that were around the dinner table from the years of my childhood to adulthood. I still have one of the chairs in my bedroom and noticed this one morning while laying in bed.

jim

John Powers
12-12-2009, 5:04 PM
The more I look it seems the true slick has the socket and handle canted a little so the blade can do its work without the handle interfering.

Jim, we must be old trash pickers at heart. I made a nice handle for it out of a trashpicked stool leg. I don't intend to pound it so I'm not worried about the lineage of the leg. Half way through I remembered the old bat in the ceiling. I never pass an old wooden louisville slugger in the trash that I don't see a nice mallet. My daughter hates to be driven to school on trash day.

george wilson
12-12-2009, 7:29 PM
A slick is shoulder pushed,and needs a mushroom head to be easier on the shoulder.

Bill Houghton
12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Traditional slicks were curved on the top side (opposite the flat back), and, as John Powers mentioned, the socket was canted slightly.

However, with the right handle, no reason that you couldn't use this chisel that way. I made a handle for mine from the remnants of an old shovel handle.

Maurice Ungaro
12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
John,
If you want a true slick, shoot me a PM. I've got one that is just collecting dust, and taking up space on the wall. It's two years old, and has the edge protector.

I'll make you a great deal on it.

harry strasil
12-13-2009, 7:36 PM
I believe what you have is often referred to as a Timberframers Socket firmer chisel, Slicks are usually wider bladed and older ones have the blade end with the cutting edge slightly upturned, newer styles have the socket at an angle. Anyway my antique slicks have the slight upturn at the end of the blades.