PDA

View Full Version : Routing small pieces

Jeff Mohr
12-12-2009, 8:57 AM
The other day I had made some small hearts and other shapes (2.5 inches or so) on the bandsaw and scroll saw. Well, I didn't like the square edges and wanted to put a roundover on them. I thought about using a roundover bit on the router table but it seems my fingers would be WAY too close to the bit. I am planning on making many of these so hand sanding or hand anything is not desired....but may be my only option?

Any suggestions on how to get a nice roundover on small pieces?

harry strasil
12-12-2009, 9:03 AM
use one of those palm routers and a router mat. or cut one of the pieces a bit smaller and glue a piece of router mat to the top and bottom to use under the pieces like one of rocklers cookies.

glenn bradley
12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm with Harry. Perfect job for a Colt and a piece of drawer liner. If they are really skittish, double stick tape is handy.

Jim Heffner
12-12-2009, 11:44 PM
You might try using some of the smaller wooden hand screw type clamps...
they work when other ways don't. It seems that the old,tried and true methods never really lose out to newer methods...they just keep on doing the job the old fashioned method! I am finding the clamps more versatile the longer I do woodworking.

Jeff Mohr
12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've thought about the mat method and was going to try that route but wanted to check and see if any of the experts out there had other suggestions. I have also tried the wooden clamp method but with the shapes being hearts and ovals, etc. they don't clamp all that well and it takes a long time to get a roundover on both sides. Seems like there is no "fast and easy" on this one.....may have to rethink why I'm cutting the pieces! ;)

Paul Steiner
12-13-2009, 12:17 PM
+1 for wood clamps. What size roundover are you using? I made some baby rattles that are about 2"x3" downsizing from 1/4" round to 1/8" made routing alot easier.

johnny means
12-13-2009, 8:34 PM
I do a lot of small parts like what you have described. Usually a hundred or so at a time, so routing them one by one was a big PITA. My solution was to tack or glue them all to a board nested together just far enough apart to get the router bit between them. Then I could route them all in one shot, with each piece helping to support the router as a routrd the adjacent piece.

Heath Brandenburg
12-13-2009, 9:09 PM
Depending on how small of a roundover you want and what type of wood you're using...Maybe a smaller rotary tool mounted in router table fashion or just with a router base?

Jeff Mohr
12-13-2009, 9:41 PM
Currently, my stuff is 1/2 and 3/4 stock and the roundover is anywhere from 1/4 to 3/8. I'll try some of these suggestions and report back. Thanks for all the help.

Keith Westfall
12-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Maybe a "cut out" holder (same shape) that is deep enough to hold it, but allow the router bit to go around it. Flip it over and do the other side and you're done...

Stephen Edwards
12-14-2009, 9:13 AM
Maybe a "cut out" holder (same shape) that is deep enough to hold it, but allow the router bit to go around it. Flip it over and do the other side and you're done...

+1 for this approach. Or, make your own holding jig for each shape. Doesn't have to be fancy or complex or purty!