PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tire Issue

Jeff Books
12-12-2009, 8:38 AM
I was using a 1/4" blade on my 14" Ridgid bandsaw, cutting out a boomerang from 1/4" plywood--not putting much strain on the saw. I was backtracking and heard a noise from the saw. Shut it down and found the tire on the bottom wheel had been pushed back and the blade was riding on the metal wheel. The tire will slide back in place but appears loose. I assume I need to replace it. Am I right or is there a way to shim or tighten it? More importantly is there a way to prevent it recurring? I've used other bandsaws that didn't get any TLC and haven't seen this before. I have been removing the tension on the blade after use, at least most of the time.

harry strasil
12-12-2009, 9:06 AM
replace both tires with new urethane ones.

harry strasil
12-12-2009, 9:09 AM
also I rough cut to size then cut from the outside rough cut to almost the cut line so I don't have to backtrack, the pieces just come off as I get to the cuts from the edge.

Anthony Anderson
12-12-2009, 9:12 AM
I just bought a set of urethane tires for my Jet 14". The urethane tires are heated in hot water and installed. As the tires cool, they shrink tight to the wheels, therefore you don't need adhesive to hold the tires to the wheels. I have not installed the urethane tires yet, but hope to this weekend. They get good reviews. I got them from Rockler for $30 and free shipping. Received in 2 days.

I would guess the adhesive failed on your original tires. I wouldn't try to reinstall the old tire once it has been deformed or pulled away from the wheel, in this type of incident. Just my opinion though.

Good Luck, Bill

glenn bradley
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Urethane tires are great. Not backing up on a running bandsaw is even better. ;-)

george wilson
12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Backing up can pull the blade off,but shouldn't have dislodged the tire. I back up often,but I am able to do it from experience. If the cut grips the blade at all,you should stop backing up till you can open the cut-with the machine off!

Howard Acheson
12-13-2009, 7:05 PM
If the tire has come off, it's telling you to replace it. Replace bandsaw tires in pairs. You can either get two new OEM tires from Ridgid or buy a couple of urethane tires.

george wilson
12-13-2009, 7:17 PM
My old Delta 14" which I bought USED in 1963 has its original tires,and I never back the blade off. I wonder if Rigid didn't properly attach the tire?

I couldn't back the blade off if I wanted to,because my wife-who doesn't understand machinery much,uses the bandsaw at times to cut up big sheets of Lexan for her jewelry making. I guarantee the saw would get fouled up since she would forget to get me to re tension it!

Jeff Books
12-13-2009, 11:19 PM
I've ordered new tires. That and not backing up should prevent further incidents!

Paul Steiner
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I had a powermatic 14 that had that problem. I got urethane tires and it did not help. After careful inspection I found that the bottom wheel was warped, causing the tire to walk. I replaced the wheel and it runs like new. If your problem persists after you replace the tires check for warping.

Myk Rian
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I used a couple 1" wide putty knives to do mine. A nice stiff blade helps.

Frank Drew
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Some manufacturers used (use?) shellac as an adhesive when mounting band saw tires. Really. Oliver did, I think.

Myk Rian
12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Lee;
Check the time on your computer. My last 2 posts were after yours, but your time is later.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I just bought a set of urethane tires for my Jet 14". The urethane tires are heated in hot water and installed. As the tires cool, they shrink tight to the wheels, therefore you don't need adhesive to hold the tires to the wheels. I have not installed the urethane tires yet, but hope to this weekend.

You'll need gloves to handle the hot urethane and two more hands or some spring loaded clamps to get them on, otherwise you can end up chasing the last few inches around the wheel several times before you get the tire on the rim. The urethane starts cooling the instant it touches the metal rim so you will need to work fast and keep them hot until you actually start the installation.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Lee;
Check the time on your computer. My last 2 posts were after yours, but your time is later.

My computer time agrees with WWV. Maybe yours is still on Standard time not DST....