PDA

View Full Version : Plain Apple wood bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 3:37 AM
This bowl was rough finish turned about 2 years ago, I finished it just a couple of days ago, it has no finish on it yet, still have to decide what ,if any, I will put on it.
It is about 11" X 4" and 7/16" thick, warped quite evenly and feels good to hold :)
All comments are welcome :eek: ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2009, 8:36 AM
Really nice bowl Leo. I do like the simple form. Looks pretty good with no finish.

Ted Calver
12-12-2009, 8:55 AM
Very nice Leo!! This bowl looks comfortable and friendly. I like bowls that have personality and this one has lots.

Sean Hughto
12-12-2009, 9:06 AM
To quote the Shakers:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

Great bowl.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2009, 9:09 AM
Like it a lot Leo. Have only turned a top from apple but I really liked the warm color. Waching Bill Grumbine turn an applewood crotch bowl got me thinking about all the old wild apple trees down in the woods at my mothers house in Maine. Will be there in a couple of weeks and have got some old dead limbs already in mind. Thanks for the additional inspiration!

Richard Madison
12-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice bowl Leo. It is very cool that you were able to save the warp.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Beautiful bowl Leo. I really like the contrast and grain in the wood and the balanced warp intrigues me. I would think it would be nearly impossible to plan and execute something like that!

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Very nice work Leo! Pretty wood and I really like the small area of birdseye in the center! As nice as the bowl looks au natural - I do think some type of an oil finish would not only protect the wood but bring the grain to life even more.

I like your photos as well! Great focus!

David E Keller
12-12-2009, 1:48 PM
Beautiful wood. Beautiful shape. Beautiful job.

Brian Effinger
12-12-2009, 2:50 PM
Nothing plain about that Leo. Very nice bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 8:33 PM
Really nice bowl Leo. I do like the simple form. Looks pretty good with no finish.

Thanks for commenting Bernie :D

Very nice Leo!! This bowl looks comfortable and friendly. I like bowls that have personality and this one has lots.

Thank you Ted :D

Like it a lot Leo. Have only turned a top from apple but I really liked the warm color. Waching Bill Grumbine turn an applewood crotch bowl got me thinking about all the old wild apple trees down in the woods at my mothers house in Maine. Will be there in a couple of weeks and have got some old dead limbs already in mind. Thanks for the additional inspiration!

Baxter thank you, hope you will be lucky and find a nice piece of Apple wood to turn, it really turns nice, a little harder to keep it from splitting, just pack it in a brown paper bag and put it away in a cool place, still the best way to dry the wood safely :)

Nice bowl Leo. It is very cool that you were able to save the warp.

Thanks Richard, it is just the natural shape, it works :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 8:46 PM
Beautiful bowl Leo. I really like the contrast and grain in the wood and the balanced warp intrigues me. I would think it would be nearly impossible to plan and execute something like that!

Thanks Ken :D, I've always liked the look of Apple wood, though there are different shades of color in the different trees, like this one has a very light reddish tint to it, it will probably disappear over time, but quite nice right now :).

To get a bowl to warp evenly you have to start off with a piece of wood that has an even growth, and have the grain balanced in the shape and the pith centered, shape it so that the grain runs with the form, that pretty well guarantees a nice evenly warping wood, it works for me :):D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 8:51 PM
To quote the Shakers:

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

Great bowl.

Hé I like that Quote Sean, thanks :D :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 9:13 PM
Very nice work Leo! Pretty wood and I really like the small area of birdseye in the center! As nice as the bowl looks au natural - I do think some type of an oil finish would not only protect the wood but bring the grain to life even more.

I like your photos as well! Great focus!

Thank You for your comment Steve :D :D

I've been wondering how much a oil finish would do on a dense wood with a smooth finish, also considering that it will very probably become a working bowl, but yes for now maybe an oil finish would be not a bad idea :)
We have an almost identical bowl here on our kitchen counter and it has been used for probably 10 years or so, Anny loves that bowl and it has been oiled a few times but is mostly used in a bare manner, it has so much character in the wood by now it is just special, it was made from a severely battered and bruised apple tree with a couple of small nails in it as well, I hope this new one will become a nicer bowl over time as well :)
Here's a picture :D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 9:15 PM
Thanks for commenting David :D, take care !!

alex carey
12-12-2009, 9:18 PM
Thats a beauty, nice job.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2009, 9:20 PM
Nothing plain about that Leo. Very nice bowl.

Thanks Brian, yes plain Brian, that is without and fanciness, a good down to earth form, a feel good form/shape, something I love :) :)

Barry Stratton
12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I really like this one Leo and always enjoy of seeing your work!