PDA

View Full Version : Ash: Either Super Heavy or Super Light. How do I find the Light stuff?

Nick Sorenson
12-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I just ordered some Ash in 8/4 and it weight a TON. I'm looking for lighter Ash. From what I've heard the heavy stuff is from the midwest and the lighter stuff is from the South/Gulf area.

Does anyone have any tips on getting light weight southern swamp ash? My closest big cities are Kansas City and St Louis. Occasionally I go through Chicago. I don't want to pay a ton. I believe I paid $2.40 maybe per board foot of Superior 8/4 Ash in this last load.

Jamie Buxton
12-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, ask for swamp ash, not just ash. Swamp ash is often used for solid-body guitars. You might shop places that offer luthery supplies.

Nick Sorenson
12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, ask for swamp ash, not just ash. Swamp ash is often used for solid-body guitars. You might shop places that offer luthery supplies.

I have also heard it called punky Ash. Seems like lumber supply houses tend to have a deer in headlights look when I mention either term (Swamp or Punky). So it must not be common to find that type of Ash lumber with most hardwood suppliers.

Mike Cruz
12-12-2009, 5:27 AM
Nick, too bad you don't live anywhere near me. I seem to have a "lighter" ash growing like crazy in my woods. I would venture to say that about 1/4 of my wooded property (about 9 acres) is that ash. Sucks, because I don't like burning it (there is a reason they call it ash...LOTS of ashes in the woodstove!) and my local mill isn't interested in it for purchasing...unless I cut enough for a tractor trailer load so he can send a shipment somewhere that would want it. No thank you! I'm not into stripping my forrest!

Bob Barkto
12-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Try asking for Black Ash (aka Swamp Ash).
Fraxinus nigra
As others said it's lighter in weight than other ash species and popular with guitar makers.
The wood is commonly found in Ohio and other midwest states.