PDA

View Full Version : First ever bowl

Mark Beall
12-11-2009, 9:34 PM
Not sure I should even post this, but I'm actually fairly happy with how this turned out (no pun intended).

With a whole 4 hours of turning experience under my belt (7 hours now), I figured I'd try turning a bowl. I had a scrap piece of 8/4 cherry with a 4/4 piece of maple glued on top from another project. It seemed big enough to make a small bowl, so why not. The bowl is about 6" in diameter. In theory, the maple on top should have been an even thickness all the way around, but I got the blank a little off when I mounted it, I'm just going to go with "I meant to do that".

Things I learned and things I'm still trying to figure out:
- had a problem with tearout in parts of the inside of the bowl, managed to clean up most of it with a scraper and sanding, not sure what the best way to deal with this is
- I need to work on my sharpening skills more. I did buy a wolverine jig to try to compensate for inexperience with money. That helped, but I'm not getting a very even edge on my bowl gouge
- applying too much force when turning off the tenon on the bowl will launch the bowl :o
- the turnings from a piece of wood take up about 100x the volume of the original piece :)
- I need to learn how to use a camera (or get a better one), the background in the pictures is a piece of newsprint, so the colors aren't very accurate (had to turn off the flash since it washed the colors out)

mark

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Mark - congrats on your first bowl! Make sure you sign and date it cause there is only one 1st!

Lots to learn when it comes to turning but you seemed to have figured out some of the basics already! Nice looking bowl!

This is a great place to learn as there are lots of folks who just went through the very things you are in the process of learning. So, if you have any questions - this is the place!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

David Christopher
12-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Mark, thats a good looking bowl and you learned alot in the process.....great job

Mark Placek
12-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Mark,

That's a very nice first bowl and a good post too.

All the problems you encountered with this bowl will be solved with; time on the lathe and asking questions here.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 1:01 AM
Mark,

Excellent first bowl! Keep 'em coming.

Turning seems to be a never ending learning experience.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2009, 8:43 AM
That is a great first bowl. Like Steve said date it, sign it and keep it to compare down the road.

Rob Cunningham
12-12-2009, 8:51 AM
That's a good looking bowl, it has a nice form.

Richard Madison
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Nice bowl Mark. You are off to a great start.

David E Keller
12-12-2009, 1:44 PM
great first bowl... looking forward to your future turnings. Welcome aboard.

Paul Atkins
12-12-2009, 3:25 PM
Looks good. Cherry is one of my favorites, but the endgrain can be tricky. I wish I had signed my first bowl and dated it, but who knows where it is now?