PDA

View Full Version : finger tip removal

Robert Reece
12-11-2009, 9:05 PM
Well, I never thought it would happen, but it did. I about cut my entire finger tip off. And with the safest power tool I own - the bandsaw.

I wasn't tired.
I wasn't rushing.
I wasn't feeling unsafe.
I wasn't feeling stupid (though this point is arguable in hindsight).

Here's what happened. I was preparing to joint an 8" wide board. It was pretty warped, so I decided to rip it down in to 2.25" pieces, which was about the final dimension I was after. So I went over to the bandsaw (being safe, I didn't want to rip this piece on the tablesaw). I adjusted the fence and then turned on the bandsaw. I clicked on the dust collector, which is loud (it's a 5hp cyclone). At this point I can not hear the bandsaw running. I put the wood up on the table and I don't like something. For the life of me I can't remember what, but I set the wood down and I am distracted by something else for a just a few seconds. Then when I look back at bandsaw, I can't remember if the blast gate is open or not (it was).

At this point, I have to diverge from the story for a little background. A few weeks ago, I posted a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124223) asking about whether I should try to get my Jet 18" bandsaw tuned or just move onto something better. The consensus seemed to be to try to work with the Jet. I took that advice and as part of that, I upgraded the lower dust collection port to 5" and added a upper flex line at about 2.5". This thing has great dust collection now. But as part of that, I now had to leave the lower cabinet door open about 1/2" in order to allow enough air intake to that 5" line. And leaving the lower cover open was my downfall.

Back to the story about my finger tip - not realizing the bandsaw was running, I stuck my hand into the lower cover to see if I could feel the airflow. What I found in addition to airflow was a Lenox Woodmaster CT that nearly removed the tip of my left ring finger. I didn't even really feel it. But it did some pretty good damage.

In the end, it looks like it is going to be ok. The finger was sewed up and it looks pretty good. But painful!!!!

So the lesson is:
1. Loud dust collectors affect your senses and make accidents more probable
2. Keep your bandsaw wheel covers closed.

So my first job when I get back in the shop will be to cut an air intake in my bottom wheel cover so I can close the cover. I am also considering installing a flashing light when the saw is running (not sure if this would help).

Another interesting thing is that in my thread about my bandsaw, it seemed like I was trying to talk myself into a new bandsaw. Apparently I was and I now know why. The Jet bandsaw was speaking to me and I didn't listen.

The other thing I would like to note is that I feel like I am pretty safe when I am cutting wood. I use guards, push sticks, featherboards, etc. I stop if something feels wrong. But this incident was something I never thought about. I simply didn't register the saw was running because I was thinking dust collection and it was all I could hear. I couldn't see the blade inside the lower cover, but it was most definitely in there.

So please be safe and hopefully you can avoid my mistake. Luckily it doesn't appear this is going to cost me more than some authentic pain.

Edit: I attached a picture of the current state of the finger. The accident happened last Saturday, but I couldn't post to say it was going to be ok until yesterday when I had a follow up. Also, I wasn't feeling much like typing.

Mitchell Andrus
12-11-2009, 9:22 PM
Ouch. I'm glad you'll be OK.

Now for the first of the "I told you so's" and other adrenaline induced posts.

ALWAYS assume that ANY moving part is both sharp and dangerous to touch at ANY speed. This includes belts and pulleys and fences as they slide past miter slots.

....Might be a good time to suggest to all of us to connect a light that goes on when the tool is 'hot' to any machine that runs a little too quietly.

Mike Cruz
12-11-2009, 9:30 PM
Oh, boy, Robert. Get ready for the "How stupid can you be?!?!?!" posts. Don't listen to 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this. It is a reminder that we all need to be careful. SO glad you should be okay.

Now, as with gloats, dare I say that without pics, it didn't happen.....? :eek:

Dave Cav
12-11-2009, 9:35 PM
I teach high schoo shopl- mostly 9th and 10th graders. The vast majority of our accidents involve the bandsaws. Most are minor, fortunately.

John Coloccia
12-11-2009, 9:42 PM
Interestingly enough, I was just thinking the other day how difficult it is to know that the bandsaw is running with the dust collector on. It's especially dangerous when you've turned it off but the blade's still spinning. Mine goes for about 30 seconds after I power down. I have a foot brake on mine, so I can at least stomp on that to make sure the blade's actually stopped spinning, but it's so hard to see the moving blade when the blade guard's almost down to the table, and everything's well balanced so it doesn't vibrate much, and even with the motor on it's soooo quiet, especially with a DC going and hearing protection.

I'm sorry about your finger but glad it wasn't worse. I hope your recovery is speedy.

Kenneth Whiting
12-11-2009, 9:51 PM
Thanks for posting. I can see something like that happening to anyone. Most of my close calls are in ways similar to that.

Jacob Mac
12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Glad you are ok. And thanks for sharing the story. It helps keep everyone honest.

Matt Stiegler
12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for posting. I can see something like that happening to anyone. Most of my close calls are in ways similar to that.

+1. Glad it wasn't more serious and you're planning to get back on the horse.

Karl Brogger
12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
The only time I've had to go to the ER, well work related, was from a bandsaw. (5 stitches in a thumb)

I was however
-Tired
-Rushed
-Stupid

Stuff happens.

Scott Hildenbrand
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I whacked myself in the finger once on a small bandsaw.. Through half the nail and half way into the bone.

Was stupid and my own fault for working on something too small.. It kicked and plunked my finger right into it..

Didn't feel a thing, but as I pulled my hand back and gave it a flick (reflex.. you know.. eesh.. dang.. *flick hand*) this big ol' stream of blood flung out..

Hehe.. I went inside and flushed it out well, pried it open a tad to make sure nothing was in it while flushing, which did not feel good... Was rather aggravated at myself for sure..

Anyway.. Hope it feels better... Have fun learning to sleep with it over your head and keep it elevated above your heart when ever possible. Will minimize the throbbing and pain.

BTW, it's really fairly simple to wire in a light to the bandsaw switch so you can tell when it's on.. Might want to take a little time and do so.. Though I'm sure it's unlikely you will ever do that again, it wouldn't hurt as an extra measure.

Personally I like a nice bright spot light on it that shines where the blade is.

Mark Beall
12-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Ouch! I'm always worried about my bandsaw since it just seems to be safe. I try to remember when I use it that that's what they use in butcher shops to cut things up (meat, bone...). Heal well.

mark

jerry nazard
12-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Robert,

I feel your pain. Last summer I did some serious damage to my left thumb (broken, lost the nail, lots of cuts and tears) during a RAS kickback. Finger injuries are nasty. I wish you godspeed in your recovery, and I will keep your post in mind when I approach the bandsaw.

-Jerry

Yikes! My left ring finger is beginning to ache as I type....

Dan Manning
12-11-2009, 11:26 PM
While doing my last project, (Manger) my wife decided to help out with the design, etc. While ripping a piece of stock on the TS, I used a push stick. She asked why I wanted to cut it at that angle. (The push stick). I shut the saw off and explained the fundamentals of the stick.:rolleyes: After I was back at the saw, and she was upstairs answering the phone, I was concentrating on the fence and cut of the piece, she came up behind me. I immediately froze, reached for the switch and when the saw came to a halt, I proceeded to tell her the fundamentals of distraction. (Wasn't G-rated):eek:

I hate to be destracted in my shop with power tools running. I don't bother her with the vacuum running, do I?

Bruce Page
12-11-2009, 11:44 PM
The worst accident I ever had working 30+ years as a machinist was on a bandsaw.

I'm glad you're going to be OK.

george wilson
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't say that the bandsaw is the safest machine in the shop. It is the fastest cutting saw,after all. Any machine can hurt you,but probably a side stroke belt sander is safer. It can give a nasty ,bleeding burn,but most likely won't cut off a finger,unless you manage to get your finger caught in a special spot somewhere.

Mike Cruz
12-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I MEANT before the splint....:rolleyes:

But maybe it's better this way for most. ;)

Gary Chester
12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Hmmmmm.... Do you want to die from lung disease or cut off your hand?????????????????????????

Yup... those stinkin' noisy dust collectors... they'll fool you every time... it is amazingly easy to go from the table saw to the chop saw and then back to the table saw only to realize that the table saw is STILL running!!!!

I've luckly only managed to take the skin off the tip of my thumb on the table saw... unrelated to noise... still scary.

To those of you who haven't "enjoyed" the experience YET... Please, be careful!!!

Fred Child
12-12-2009, 2:51 AM
Many accidents happen while doing repetitive tasks and the stock being worked with is diminishing, thus bringing hands closer to the tool. This is where concentration and obeying shop rules are particularly vital, especially distraction by others.

One friend of mine was doing such a task with a drop saw. Cut, move the piece, cut.... slight distraction and off came three fingers and part of his palm.

A light for tools like band saws are a great idea and easy to set up. Mine has a light as standard. Its a quiet saw but I always know it's switched on. I never step away from any tool without switching it off. To do otherwise is inviting trouble.

Johnnyy Johnson
12-12-2009, 6:52 AM
I have a Jet 14" with riser.I was working one Sat. re sawing some green oak. Everything was going well and then I got off my mark. When I slid the wood back a little and then started to cut again the blade came off the wheels. While using my peripheral vision (as I was looking at the point of the cut). I reached over with my left thumb to hit the stop button and the tip of my thumb went straight into the blade about 3/16". Who in the world at JET though it was a good idea to put the on/off switch right beside where the blade runs. That was about 5 years ago. A couple weeks ago I was in a wood working shop and looked at the new Jet saws. The switch is still there. All is well as long as the blade stays in the slot...Let it jump off and watch out.

Thanks

Rod Sheridan
12-12-2009, 8:22 AM
Robert, I'm glad to hear that the result of your accident wasn't worse, here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Regards, Rod.

Brian Kerley
12-12-2009, 8:24 AM
I had a similar issue the other day with my 14" delta. I turned the saw off because I was going to remove my insert and make a new one. Waited for the blade to slow down, then reached my hand up to push the insert out, not thinking that the blade was still moving. Caught about three teeth on my finger tip (the blade was moving pretty slow). Damn that hurt. 2 weeks later I can't see the damage, but scared teh hell out of me.

Jim Foster
12-12-2009, 8:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your accident, about twenty years ago I had an accident with a tablesaw and it was very humbling and frustrating. From your post it sounds like your doing much better (emotionally) with your injury than I did, and I hope you have a quick and full recovery.

In my new home shop, I installed automatic blast gates (not for safety, I just did not want to be hooking up hoses and sliding gates or forgetting to slide gates open/closed all the time) and in reading your post about the dust collector noise and possible distraction it can make, I can say that I never have to worry about a tool being left on or find myself in a position where I can't hear if the tool is on because of the dust collector noise. So, I think there is also a safety benefit to consider with an automatic gate system. It was a little pricey, but very easy to install, about 30 minutes for each tool.

Michael Peet
12-12-2009, 8:46 AM
Ouch! I hope you heal soon, Robert. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Since we're sharing: in college I worked in a rebar fabrication plant, night shift. One night around 2:00 I was operating a bending press and placed my right thumb where it should not have gone. I won't bore you with the details but suffice to say that thumb is not and never will be the same. I was fortunate to keep it.

Speedy recovery -

Mike

PS, was anyone else thinking "don't click it - there's pictures!"?

Dean Karavite
12-12-2009, 9:11 AM
Thanks for posting this. I'm new to woodworking (about two years) and I have read over and over that the bandsaw is one of the safest tools in the shop. I kind of wish people would stop saying this. I think there is a tendency to concentrate too much on the lack of kickback and not enough on the idea there is a sharp moving blade closer to ones hands than almost any other tool.

Paul Gallian
12-12-2009, 9:25 AM
oooch! heal quickly and live long and prosper.

Peter Quinn
12-12-2009, 9:30 AM
Hope you recover well Robert. I don't know where band-saws got their nasty reputation for being safe? Clearly they are not. I worked in restaurant kitchens for more than a decade and saw my share of bandsaw accidents in the butchering stations. Be safe.

Rich Aldrich
12-12-2009, 9:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. It is amazing how fast these things happen. Until I ran my bandsaw the first time, I didnt really realize how easy it would be to cut your hand, finger, etc.

When I read the title of your post, I though it was going to be about a jointer accident. Jointers are really good for taking the tips of fingers off. I always use push sticks and push blocks to try to minimize the risk.

Robert Reece
12-12-2009, 9:42 AM
Thanks to everyone for the positive responses and the stories of old injuries. No one has called me stupid yet!

I'd like to be back in the shop today picking up where I left off, but the finger still hurts when I move my left hand just about in any direction. I think I'll just let it rest until after the holidays.

I did want to post about my accident since the bandsaw is largely considered safe. However, like others have said, the blade is moving fast and can easily take something off.

I definitely think the carbide tipped resaw blade caused more damage than a "regular" blade would have.

george wilson
12-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone can have an accident. I have had a few minor ones that cut me. However,as I stated above,the bandsaw is the fastest cutting machine in the shop. Drill presses are also dangerous.People don't realize how dangerous. Buffers can grab metal and sling it very fast. Everything that moves at high speed can get you before you can react.

Brian Kent
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
May you heal quickly.

Thank you for posting the picture WITH the bandage on!

Can anyone post on how to set up a work light that would automatically come on when the bandsaw is on?

Brian

Fred Child
12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Can anyone post on how to set up a work light that would automatically come on when the bandsaw is on?

Brian

I like the flexible type as per this pic. The light should be wired into the machine on/off switch. If you are not handy with this task, then you should ask an electrician to do it. Care should be taken that the light cannot come into contact with moving machinery under any circumstances.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/qm173391.jpg

Sorry about the large pic, I need to learn how people do the thumb images

Eric Sayre
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm new to woodworking (about two years) and I have read over and over that the bandsaw is one of the safest tools in the shop. I kind of wish people would stop saying this. I think there is a tendency to concentrate too much on the lack of kickback and not enough on the idea there is a sharp moving blade closer to ones hands than almost any other tool.

I agree with Dean, many people aren't taught to respect the bandsaw as they would a tablesaw.

I had a bad experience on the tablesaw 6 years ago because of a deadly mistake that is too common: I became distracted and lost track of where the "invisible blade" was. I bought a bandsaw a few years ago and felt it was "safer." It isn't. That thing eats wood as fast as my tablesaw.

Glad to see you're on your way to a fast recovery!

Robert Reece
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I do actually have a work light on my bandsaw, but it's not switched with the bandsaw. It's a magnetic base type, so I move it to the drill press as needed.

I was thinking about some kind of red blinking light, just not so bright that it disrupts concentration. I already know what happens when that occurs.

I also thought about taking a picture of my finger right after I cut it, but didn't actually do it. I wish I had so I could have printed it out and put up in the shop as a reminder.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
May you heal quickly.

Thank you for posting the picture WITH the bandage on!

Brian
Robert - I hope you heal quickly.

I have my bandsaw backed up against a wall. The saw is wired for 120V operation. I rigged up a light, attached to the wall, and wired into the saw circuit after the switch. So when I turn the saw on, the light comes on. I actually did it to improve my vision when bandsawing something.

The light's not in the ideal place - I still get a shadow where I'd like light - but it better than no light. And it does serve to let me know the saw's on (which I didn't think of when I rigged it up).

And if I want to move the saw, I have to remember to disconnect the light (I have it with a plug so it's easy to disconnect).

Mike

Dan Manning
12-12-2009, 1:26 PM
Brian,
I would think that if you tie the hot wire of the light into the hot of the power, when you start the saw it would energise the light. I'm going to re-wire my tablesaw for a new switch, and place a light in series with the main switch. Will let you know how it goes. I for one hate shadows and distractions when working with power tools.

johnny means
12-12-2009, 3:38 PM
Brian,
I would think that if you tie the hot wire of the light into the hot of the power, when you start the saw it would energise the light. I'm going to re-wire my tablesaw for a new switch, and place a light in series with the main switch. Will let you know how it goes. I for one hate shadows and distractions when working with power tools.

Be sure to split off from the hot wire and not put the light on the motor circuit. You probably can't pull motor level amps through that little bulb.

Dan Manning
12-12-2009, 5:51 PM
Johnny,
That's correct, I just wanted to put that idea out there. You can't run the motor through a lamp, just tie into the system. (Branch off.)