PDA

View Full Version : Band saw

Joe Mcclaran
12-11-2009, 8:38 PM
I am ready to buy a band saw. What would be a good saw to get. I have looked at Jet 10" JWBS 100S AND Grizzy GO 555. Thanks for the help.

Cary Falk
12-11-2009, 9:03 PM
That is a big open ended question. What do you intend to do with it and how much do you want to spend? I wouldn't waste my money on a 10". The G0555 is a great saw from what I hear. I have the G0513x2. Without a budget, I would tell you to get a G0514x2.:D

Victor Robinson
12-11-2009, 9:22 PM
I was just about to post my very own first bandsaw recommendation thread. I'm deciding between Grizzly's 0555 and the Jet 14OS, Joe. Both come out to the same price delivered. The Grizzly has a more powerful motor (1hp vs. 3/4) and can also take a riser block to increase resaw capacity to 12". Sounds like a great deal for $470 delivered.

mark kosse
12-11-2009, 9:32 PM
...and has roller bearing guides and a great fence. The GO555 is a nice saw. Don't buy less.

glenn bradley
12-11-2009, 9:33 PM
As Cary said, open ended discussion ;-) The difference between a 10" and a 14" is substantially more, use-wise than between a 14" and a 16" - 18" saw. If a 10" will do most of what you want to do then a 14" should be plenty. I run a 1970's, 10" Delta and a 17" G0513X. Between the two I am pretty happy.

I'll assume we're not looking to resaw lumber or create veneers as a 10" would be hard pressed to do this well just based on what is available in that size. The G0555 is well liked and gets good reviews from owners. The 14" saw will also have many after market goodies. The 14" will have a large amount of tips, tricks and tweaks from owners of the various brands and versions of this size. Based on the popularity of the 14" size alone I would lean that way even if a 10" would do everything I "thought" I wanted a saw to do.

Joe Mcclaran
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, my budget will be around $400. I all so like the Grizzly go555. I will just use it around the shop for average size projects. I think the 14 inch will be alright. Thanks Joe

Chuck Isaacson
12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Go for the Grizzly. I have one. Love it. Lots of things that you can do to it. It is a great all around saw that will give you more capacity that the Jet.

Chuck

Anthony Anderson
12-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Don't forget to use the Microsoft Cashback if you are buying on ebay. It is only 8% right now, but that will save you roughly another $35 dollars. Last I checked Grizzly had a 14" open stand available on ebay. I would go with the Grizzly 14" as well. Packed with quite a few features, for the price. IIRC, it has a quick tension release, but check to be sure.

I just checked. It does have the quick tension release, and roller bearing guides.

Don Dorn
12-12-2009, 2:35 AM
I bought my G0555 in 2003 and have no regrets. For a short time, I considered upgrading to a 17" saw, but in reality I didn't need it, only wanted it. I put the riser kit on it the second year and it has done everything I've asked of it.

The only thing I don't really care for is the lower guide adjustments. I wish they were more like the Delta in that they could be adjusted from the front with a knurled knob. They are identical to the top guides and while it can be done in reasonable time, you need to work at it a little more and if your hands and fingers are large, it's tight quarters.

As to performance, I'm very happy and took a friends advise and put a 3 skip tooth 3/16" blade on it. I have found it perfect as it actually resaws fairly wide stock well because of the low tooth count, but is narrow enough to do about anything with

Stephen Edwards
12-12-2009, 9:47 AM
The only thing I don't really care for is the lower guide adjustments. I wish they were more like the Delta in that they could be adjusted from the front with a knurled knob. They are identical to the top guides and while it can be done in reasonable time, you need to work at it a little more and if your hands and fingers are large, it's tight quarters.

I find it to be worth the few minutes required to remove the table from the BS in order to properly adjust the lower blade guides on my G055X and G0555. I also remove the table when changing blades. Really, it only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace the table. It sure makes tuning the saw much less of a chore, IMHO.