PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Donnie Raines! (Lumber Gloat)

Martin Shupe
10-07-2004, 2:50 AM
OK, Tyler, I will start off by apologizing for no pics. I promise I'll buy a digital camera someday, hopefully soon. I'm sorry, but I keep spending too much money on wood and tools!

Donnie,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

For the rest of you, I'll fill you in on the back story...

Back in May, I was in the throes of ground school, and would escape to the Creek from time to time for a few moments of stress relief. One day I saw that Donnie had posted some gorgeous curly cherry, but before I saw it, Jim Becker has snapped it up. (I forgive you Jim, but only because I would have done the same thing.)

Anyway, I called Donnie, and we talked for a while, and I requested he keep an eye out for some 8/4 curly maple, solid white, for table legs. I have been collecting a few choice curly maple and birdseye maple boards, since my daughter wants something made out of "some kind of wood that is lighter than cherry."

Last week, Donnie sends me an email, and says that he has what I was looking for, but that the shipping would kill me. Well, the shipping was expensive, but worth every cent. I just unwrapped the most beautiful 8/4 curly maple I have ever seen. One board has narrow stripes the entire length and width, and the other looks like it has stripes a little wider, but I'll have to plane it first. Wow! Donnie, I can't thank you enough. I am blown away. I have been looking through lumber yards for a year for that kind of maple, and never saw anything even close to what you sent me.

Of course, now that you have completed your first mission, I have another one for you, should you accept the challenge...

All you have to do is find me some awesome 8/4 curly cherry table leg stock, all heartwood, of course! Take your time, as there is no deadline, just email me when you have it.

(Cue Mission Impossible music)

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds...

Tom LaRussa
10-07-2004, 9:29 AM
Wow! Donnie, I can't thank you enough. I am blown away. I have been looking through lumber yards for a year for that kind of maple, and never saw anything even close to what you sent me.

I don't see no wood, mang.

I think maybe all you got was a box -- like Chris P -- but you're too ashamed to admit it? :confused:

Donnie Raines
10-07-2004, 9:50 AM
I don't see no wood, mang.

I think maybe all you got was a box -- like Chris P -- but you're too ashamed to admit it? :confused:
LOL!!! I keep giving Chris some "stuff" on the box thing to....being that he is part of the pic patrol and all.

Martin...glad you liek the boards! I have some 8/4 curly cherry at home....I will need to look through it and see what I have. A friend of mine makes rocking chairs..and he uses nothing but thick stock...and figured stock. I will get with hm on that if my travels through the country sides don't yeild anything. How much do you need?
...by the way...there is some 4/4 curly maple where that came from..... :cool: :p

Martin Shupe
10-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I have some 8/4 curly cherry at home....I will need to look through it and see what I have. A friend of mine makes rocking chairs..and he uses nothing but thick stock...and figured stock. I will get with hm on that if my travels through the country sides don't yeild anything. How much do you need?
...by the way...there is some 4/4 curly maple where that came from..... :cool: :p

How much do I need? My answer would be all I can get! My wife's answer would be a little different. She thinks I buy too many boards....

Well, let's start out with enough for 8 legs, 8/4 square and I'll plane them down to 1.5 inches square. If there is "extra" wood in the boards, that is fine, as I can always use the scrap for drawer guides, etc.

Does the extra 4/4 curly maple come from the lighter of the two boards? The one with the really tight curl? If so, I am tempted!

Donnie Raines
10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Martin....I responded to your e-mail to me.....I will give you first dibs on that stuff. We'lll be in contact....

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 2:01 PM
Sigh, no pics and I still wish Donnie had moved closer to San Jose...going from Cincy to Milly didn't do much for me.... :(

Donnie Raines
10-07-2004, 2:04 PM
Yeah...but I am closer to the UPS store now Chris....... :D :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
10-07-2004, 3:01 PM
I too will attest to the fine quality of the stuff that Donnie supplies. The burls I just received from him last week will likely make some very attractive pieces on the spinny-thing one of these days. And Martin...you couldn't arrange for FedEX pickup from Donnie??? :D :D :D I though you had at least SOME pull in that respect...

Teresa Jones
10-07-2004, 3:30 PM
Jim, I was going to ask Martin the same thing!

Martin, are you making it over to Steve's for the BBQ?

TJ

Donnie Raines
10-07-2004, 3:38 PM
Heck I thought I could tie a rope to the boards, send it up in the air with a balloon and he could fly by and snag it....you know how much money we could have saved.....(gee...I wonder if there are any restriction on this...... :rolleyes: :D )