PDA

View Full Version : New roughing tool called the Peeler look like the Ci1

Keith Harrell
12-11-2009, 6:44 PM
Has anyone tried this new roughing tool called the "Peeler" It's like the easy rougher Ci1. The price is half of the rougher Ci1.

http://www.jandbtools.com/

ROY DICK
12-11-2009, 8:44 PM
If anyone gets one of these please post a review. Thanks.

Roy

Ryan Baker
12-11-2009, 9:08 PM
Talk about a straight rip-off of the Ci1. I made my own Ci1 tool, but at least I'm not trying to market it.

Keith Burns
12-11-2009, 9:13 PM
There are two reasons that quickly come to mind as to why it is half the cost. First is the developement cost of the tool. The maker of the peeler did not have any investment to develope the tool. All he did was make a copy. The materials he uses are different. The peeler uses carbon steel while the Ci1 uses stainless steel. It's like comparing a Chevy with a BMW. You get what you pay for.

Jim Kountz
12-11-2009, 9:17 PM
Yes and someone should also explain the difference between tenons and tendons to this guy. Man that irritates me!!

Bob Borzelleri
12-11-2009, 9:23 PM
Talk about a straight rip-off of the Ci1. I made my own Ci1 tool, but at least I'm not trying to market it.

Why not? The concept of putting multiple carbide edges on the end of a tool is not rocket science and I doubt that there is a patent on the design. If there is, the Easy Wood tools folks have not stated that on their website.

Tormek got copied by Jet, Jet and Delta bandsaws have always looked like they were built in the same factory with different paint. Steb centers are offered by nearly everyone at 1/2 the price of the original. If someone can offer a product that does what another product does at 1/2 the price, isn't that simply competitive business?

Again, unless there is a patent infringement, I welcome less expensive ways to do things well.

Dick Strauss
12-11-2009, 11:07 PM
There has been a guy selling carbide tools with golf grips on the bay for years. I don't think the Ci1 folks are the originator of the idea.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with Bob totally. I can't believe the price on some of these tools. I feel like they're taking us all for big suckers with these outrageous prices. If they don't have a patent on their tools(nothing original?) then let the competition begin. And you know that saying "You get what you pay for"? Well a lot of times you get a lot less than you paid for and get taken.

Dan Forman
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
These are easy to make yourself, and work great for roughing. No need for stainless steel, mild steel works fine. Just make sure the top where you mount the cutter is flat, drill and tap for a screw that will seat properly in the cutter, grind some clearance from the bottom and sides of the bar and you are done. The cutters are just those used for jointer or planer heads, you can use radiused or square. Thats not a bad price though, considering you have to buy the cutters in ten packs. The tricky part if you do it yourself is rounding the bar if you have a metal lathe, or building a handle with a square hole. I haven't gotten around to putting a handle on mine yet.

Dan

JerHall
12-11-2009, 11:31 PM
loss leader on the tool, and selling $2 cutters for $7 and in the case of Easy Rougher for $14!!!!. The cutters may be good for only a couple natural edge bowls if it is the thick heavy type of bark, or grime that can quickly wipe out an edge, such as walnut, or oak. At a lower price for cutters I like this concept. I would buy the cutters from the tool maker if they were at a reasonable markup, say 100% assuming he could get them for say $1.50. As it is I buy them in bundles of 10 for $20 plus a little shipping no tax here:
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/journal-head-knives.html

This type of tool is very nice for roughing out, and is MUCH easier on my old body, so I think it is a great value with the less expensive cutters. I put my ER in a long heavy Kelton handle, and that pretty much takes care of any negative feedback to my body even with a very out of round big slow moving blank.

Spray the cutters liberally and often with WD40 so the pitch and grime don't lock it in. Watch the little set screw like a hawk, because the cutter does not stay in well without it.

That said, a big heavy bedan type tool that your were willing to sharpen often would get the job done near as well, or a 1/4" square cutter in a straight boring bar would approximate the results, but most likely not as clean an overall cut. But that is what a bowl gouge is for.

I also like this tool for leveling the bottom of deep bowls, reducing the touch-up with a scraper or the challenge of using a 70 degree bevel fat bowl gouge. I have learned to do surprisingly delicate and smooth cuts, even doing a little shear cutting. It is like a really heavy narrow scraper that stays sharp a pretty long time and is pretty much catch free when used a directed.

So bottom line I would buy the tool unhandled from Easy Rougher, out of recognition for their innovation and their known high quality, but buy my cutters elsewhere. But these new guys do get points for not being truly outrageous on the cutter price.

Raw random thoughts......

Gary Conklin
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
There are several versions of this tool out there now: Easy Rougher, Peeler, the Wood Chuck, skogger, rotundo, the list goes on.

alex carey
12-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I think this was brought up before, but isn't it practically the same as the bedan, only difference is carbide that you can change.

Bill Blasic
12-12-2009, 8:49 AM
Jim,
In woodturning tenon or tendon is acceptable, turners that have been around longer then you or I have used tendon vs tenon. I prefer tenon but cannot put someone down for using tendon.:)
Bill

Robert McGowen
12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
turners that have been around longer then you or I have used tendon vs tenon.
Bill

Tenon

Origin:
1400–50; late ME < MF, equiv. to ten(ir) to hold (< L tenēre) + -on n. suffixhttp://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png

Must have been REALLY, REALLY, old woodworkers. :D

Dave Rudy
12-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Jim,
In woodturning tenon or tendon is acceptable, turners that have been around longer then you or I have used tendon vs tenon. I prefer tenon but cannot put someone down for using tendon.:)
Bill

It is true that if the misuse of a word continues long enough, and broadly enough, it will become acceptable. However, I doubt that the number of turners who misuse the word is large enough to change common usage. It is just a mistake, and will probably continue for a long time.

Bill Blasic
12-13-2009, 7:14 AM
Do a google search for - tendon woodturning - and see if any identifiable woodturners use that expression.
Bill:)

Jim Kountz
12-13-2009, 9:30 AM
Main Entry: 1ten·on
Pronunciation: \ˈte-nən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from tenir to hold — more at tenable (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tenable)
Date: 14th century
: a projecting member in a piece of wood or other material for insertion into a mortise to make a joint

Main Entry: ten·don
Pronunciation: \ˈten-dən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin tendon-, tendo, from Latin tendere to stretch — more at thin (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thin)
Date: 1541
: a tough cord or band of dense white fibrous connective tissue that unites a muscle with some other part (as a bone) and transmits the force which the muscle exerts

Pretty clear to me.

Norm Zax
12-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Wikipedia says this:
A tenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon) is often misspelled or mispronounced as "tendon".
... but lets get back on track, can we?. Here's a bone (untied to a tendon): will a non-HSS rod be subject to snapping more easily or at that width secure enough? From my perspective, safety comes even before copyright!
Norm

Bob Hampton
12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
well i would say its alot more then half the cost....i was at woodcraft in salem oregon yesterday and i seen the rougher there going for $147.99.

Scott Lux
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I saw that too. I don't want anyone sizing tendons on me!

Mike Minto
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Sizes tendons, too - might be useful for a butcher, but a woodturner? :D just because lots of people use the word incorrectly, doesn't make it right or any less annoying. it should be pointed out, and maybe those folks will get it correct.