PDA

View Full Version : My first Christmas ornaments!!

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 6:23 PM
Went to Woodcraft last nite for their "turn and learn" session - it was just OK. Too many guys, and all they were really doing was pushing a carbide tipped tool. No real "learning" but I did get to play for a few minutes on the Delta midi - nice lathe!

My wife went shopping while I was there and when she picked me up, she saw some Christmas ornaments someone had done. She immediately suggested I make one for each of our 5 adult kids for Christmas. I resisted :rolleyes:, but she insisted. So, I now own a mandrel, several of the little kits with the gold ends, some CA, etc.

I have watched with fastination the threads with the hollowed ornaments, and am watching the thread on making your own tools. But, my skills just aren't there yet. I need to work on some things first before trying that level of project.

The ones at Woodcraft were all from exotics, but I have never worked with any and don't have any on hand. But, I have a bunch of scraps of walnut, maple, etc. So, here is what the first two look like -

George Morris
12-11-2009, 6:45 PM
Hi John The pieces are very nice. The beads are good,Every final will get better and better!
I found you just have to jump in for the hollow body of the ornaments. Each one gets a little better and remember you have to break a few eggs to make a omelet!
Give it a try it is not to hard check out the AAW site for tutorials. G

David Walser
12-11-2009, 6:45 PM
John,

Those are very nice. I particularly like your "segmented" ornament with the green maple(?). Your family will love them.

Of course, you don't "need" a mandrel or kits to produce this type of "spindle" ornament. Just turn the ornament between centers and drill a small hole in the top end for looping a thread or wire to hang the ornament.

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2009, 7:36 PM
John, John, John, looks like it is time for that big Jet or PM lathe.:D:rolleyes:;)

Really nice ornaments for your first John. Well done.

By next Christmas on that new lathe you will be making them thin finials for those ornaments. Wow I can see it now.:p

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2009, 7:41 PM
Those are nice Christmas tree ornaments John.

Look at them as upside down spindle finials and you will be able to justify turning them. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2009, 7:44 PM
Hey Tony.....Look at John's latest spindle work. They go on a Christmas tree. Is a Christmas tree furniture? Or does he just have to own up to turning cause his wife requested it and it was fun?;)

What are the rules here?

Baxter Smith
12-11-2009, 7:49 PM
"I have watched with fastination the threads with the hollowed ornaments, and am watching the thread on making your own tools."

And I have watched with fascination your descent into..... well whatever. Nice job!

Don Orr
12-11-2009, 8:06 PM
You are in deep now John :eek::D. There may be no escape. And you thought planes and hand tools were addictive ? Not even close.

Nice work.

Paul Atkins
12-11-2009, 8:11 PM
Oh no! Is it that time again? Looks good - and fun too, huh? I usually use lighter woods so they show up better on a dark tree, but there are some walnut and mahogany ones out there too. Keep it up.

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 9:18 PM
Hey guys, this is just practice in case I need to make another set of legs for a furniture piece. And my wife FORCED me to do these, and buy the extra tools, and order that cole chuck, and that steady from Jeff, and......

I swear I ain't hooked, I swear.....

Jim Kountz
12-11-2009, 9:22 PM
Hhhmmm walnut huh? Now thats strange!! I wouldnt expect anything less from you John!! Nice ornaments!!

Kenneth Whiting
12-11-2009, 9:30 PM
Those are some nice ornaments, John.

Remember, admitting you have a "problem" is the first step.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM
John - glad to see you reaching out and trying new things! That is one of the things about turning - there are just so much stuff to try it can get overwhelming! Thank goodness your wife has her priorities straight and can guide you even further into the vortex!

Have fun turning! Looking forward to seeing more of your ornaments real soon!

gary Zimmel
12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Looks like your getting real close to that edge John...
Just say the word and that " Mustard Monster" my tool guy is holding for you is on its way...:D
I bet he could get it to you before Xmas...
Nice job on the ornaments!

Bill O'Conner
12-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I see a bowl coming real soon HEHEHE

Bill

John Keeton
12-12-2009, 8:07 AM
Thanks for all the comments - and, for pulling me deeper into the VORTEX!!:eek:

David, on the use of the mandrel, it looked like a way to do ornaments with a little less skill level. I hope to progress to doing them between centers. But, I kind of like the gold accents - more "bling" as my wife would say! On the green/red ornament I played with some toy dyes I have had for years - a little hard to control as they wanted to bleed and the shellac picked up some of the color as I rushed it and didn't wait for them to dry first!

Paul, I agree on the light woods, but my light colored wood supply is pretty limited - maple, oak, chestnut are about all I have available right now. I may try some of those today between times working on finishing my flat work project.

For the rest of you guys that are laughing thinking that the vortex is winning ............ all I can say is the battle has only begun!!!:D

Brian Effinger
12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
You are in deep now John :eek::D. There may be no escape. And you thought planes and hand tools were addictive ? Not even close.

Nice work.

I don't know, Don. Planes are pretty addictive. I recently purchased my first old plane - a #5 - from none other than Mr. John Keeton. Last week I was going to bring some half logs to my turning club meeting to give away, and I wanted to freshen up the cut face since it had dried a little and the colors were now muted, so I turned to the #5. Fairly long, paper thin curlies were coming out of the plane, and before I knew it, the rough chainsawed face was smooth. The whole time, I was thinking, "this is niiiiiiiice!" :) Very addictive.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Brian,

Did you notice John is selling his flatwork tools so he can have more cash to spend on his new addiction?:confused::eek::D

Tony De Masi
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Okay John. My question is why would you have to be forced to make something for your kids? Don't you like them? They have given you 13 grandkids right? So get off your butt and go make three more.

Otherwise I would say that I really like the ornaments you did. But, do you really need a new chuck to do these?:rolleyes:

Tony

Brian Effinger
12-12-2009, 2:46 PM
Brian,

Did you notice John is selling his flatwork tools so he can have more cash to spend on his new addiction?:confused::eek::D

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Poor guy! :D Hopefully he stops at selling tools, and doesn't go into other things, like cars, wives, jewelry and such. He may wind up being a homeless woodturner. :eek:
So I guess I should keep my eyes open for his next plane sale, and help him out with his new found addiction. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 3:06 PM
He may wind up being a homeless woodturner. :eek:
:)

Brian,

Can you picture this in your mind. John....camped out under an Interstate bridge there in Kentucky......he has found an old Singer pedal sewing machine...converted it to a manual neander lathe......Sign beside John stating "Homeless....former professional....will work for food or green wood":eek::D

Brian Effinger
12-12-2009, 3:32 PM
Brian,

Can you picture this in your mind. John....camped out under an Interstate bridge there in Kentucky......he has found an old Singer pedal sewing machine...converted it to a manual neander lathe......Sign beside John stating "Homeless....former professional....will work for food or green wood":eek::D

Bwaaahahahahahahaha!!! :D Either that, or he'll take the brand new powermatic that we all know he's going to buy, and hotwire it into one of the overhead lights.

John Keeton
12-12-2009, 4:18 PM
I have a dream......

John Keeton
12-12-2009, 8:11 PM
Here are the final three of the five ornaments -
But now, my wife really, really, likes these and I have been ordered to do more. Thinking about doing some sort of stand display for hers.

Doing these on the ol' Harbor Freight was so much fun, I don't think I my ol' ticker could stand the excitement of doing them on a Mustard Monster!!:D:D

Brian Effinger
12-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Here are the final three of the five ornaments
Very nice, John. I really like the walnut and ash (?) ornaments. Keep up the good work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Here we go again. My wife made me do it!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::cool:;) Yea, yea, yea.

By the way John those are some really nice looking ornaments. Well done for someone who needs a chuck for a paperweight.:D