PDA

View Full Version : Bansia Pod Ornament

Greg Just
12-11-2009, 6:00 PM
I tried something a little different. I hollowed out a banksia pod, made a top and bottom out of maple and dyed it with Rit dye. Inside is one of those battery operated tea light candles. I left a little of the fuzz on for effect. It's about 5 inches tall. What do you think?

Baxter Smith
12-11-2009, 6:12 PM
I think it is more than "a little different". :) I had to google bansia pod but didn't search long enough to find a picture of one in its natural state. My wife and her sisters seem to be enamored with stuffing lights into wine bottles or glass blocks. This definitely has a whole lot more class! Great idea!

David Walser
12-11-2009, 6:49 PM
I like it a lot. I think I might prefer it with a longer finial on the bottom, but it's great as is.

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2009, 7:32 PM
Nice ornament. Really interesting.

ROY DICK
12-11-2009, 8:38 PM
It looks like it is on fire. Great effect.

Roy

Keith Burns
12-11-2009, 8:58 PM
I like original ideas and I think you hit a home run with this one.

Doug W Swanson
12-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I saw this ornament at our local woodturners Christmas party last week and it looks really nice. It looks good in the picture but it's even nicer in person.

Doug

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Great idea! Nicely done!

Colin MacDiarmid
12-12-2009, 4:47 PM
I like it a lot, a cool idea

Wayne Jolly
12-12-2009, 5:59 PM
I have a couple of banksia pods waiting for me to get creative with them and this looks cool. Just one question - How durable is that fuzz going to be? I'm guessing that since it has been on there a long time already that it will proly be ok, but it has not been exposed.

xeddog

John McCaskill
12-12-2009, 6:37 PM
I think it is more than "a little different". :) I had to google bansia pod but didn't search long enough to find a picture of one in its natural state. My wife and her sisters seem to be enamored with stuffing lights into wine bottles or glass blocks. This definitely has a whole lot more class! Great idea!

Search on "Banksia Pod"

You'll find plenty. Rockler sells them, among others.

Greg Just
12-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I have a couple of banksia pods waiting for me to get creative with them and this looks cool. Just one question - How durable is that fuzz going to be? I'm guessing that since it has been on there a long time already that it will proly be ok, but it has not been exposed.

xeddog

Wayne:

I think the fuzz will be ok, the one drawback is that you cannot apply a finish to the pod. I have made other ornaments where I completely removed the fuzz and then used a spray finish that really makes the wood pop. Also, you have to becareful turning the pods on the inside as any little catch and pod will explode. This one broke into 2 pieces, but super glue made it one again.

Baxter Smith
12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks John. When I just tried it, the Rockler site came right up. Whatever word I put in yesterday came up as something you grind up and make coffee out of. Read that on several links including one from Amazon.:) Won't do it now so I don't know what I was spelling!

Baxter