PDA

View Full Version : Chip box

James Jaragosky
12-11-2009, 5:43 PM
Today I built a 3 x 4 x 5 chip box from the container that my laser was shipped in.
The 5hp grizzly is much quieter now that it is vented outside.
I used 4" PVC piping for all the runs.
Thanks for the Idea Keith.
Regards
Jim J.

Michael Schwartz
12-11-2009, 5:50 PM
could you post some pictures? Interested to see the details of your setup. I might do something like this during the summer with a dedicated dust collector for the bot.

Keith Outten
12-12-2009, 9:10 AM
Your welcome Jim, I know that you will be pleased with the new setup and less noise.

I am still trying to find the time to complete my new and probably my last chip box. This one is a steel tank that needs a top. I purchased the steel for the frame and I have plastic sheet for the covering, just need the time to fabricate and install the new top. At the same time I am planning to move my DC unit outside, mounting it to the end of the tank on a steel platform covered with sheet metal. The noise in my shop should be reduced to the woosh of air through the DC pipe and nothing more :)

If I can get it built over Christmas break I will share pictures of the new 3000 gallon chip box.

james mcgrew
12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
james turned on his dc while we were on the phone, the noise reduction was pretty noticeable!!

jim

James Jaragosky
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Your welcome Jim, I know that you will be pleased with the new setup and less noise.

I am still trying to find the time to complete my new and probably my last chip box. This one is a steel tank that needs a top. I purchased the steel for the frame and I have plastic sheet for the covering, just need the time to fabricate and install the new top. At the same time I am planning to move my DC unit outside, mounting it to the end of the tank on a steel platform covered with sheet metal. The noise in my shop should be reduced to the woosh of air through the DC pipe and nothing more :)

If I can get it built over Christmas break I will share pictures of the new 3000 gallon chip box.

Keith, I considered moving the dc outside, However I live in the suburbs and I am sure someone would have complained about the noise.
In retrospect I did not need that monster 5 hp grizzly, it is a whole lot of over kill for my little shop.

I look forward to seeing your new design. A Plexiglas top? I considered installing a Plexiglas window to keep a eye on how full the box becomes.Instead I opted for installing the vent upside down so I can see inside the box. I have a little rain guard installed over the vent to keep the contents dry.

Well I need to get moving it is a honey due afternoon. and I still need to post the promised pictures I have not yet taken.
Best wishes
Jim J.

Bob Savage
12-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I did not need that monster 5 hp grizzly, it is a whole lot of over kill for my little shop.

Hopefully the 2 HP cyclone I'm putting in will be just right.

Michael Schwartz
12-12-2009, 11:43 AM
In retrospect I did not need that monster 5 hp grizzly, it is a whole lot of over kill for my little shop.

Jim J.

I will be happy to trade my 3.5 HP tempest for your 5 hp grizzly :D I am considering at least running my bot on a separate DC during the summer and exhausting outside into a box.

During the winter that would not be an option so long term with a future shop I will likely install a cyclone outside and have it exhaust back inside.

Hopefully the 2 HP cyclone I'm putting in will be just right.

No intent to hijack the OP but

For one machine at a time that should be ok. I usually have two sometimes 3 gates open on my system with a 3.5 HP blower. Keep in mind regardless of the size of your motor duct sizing is probably more important. 6" Ducts/hose allow for almost double the CFM vs a 4" duct or hose, and for the most part a larger motor won't really pull a whole lot more air through a 4" duct.

You can also save allot of money buying/setting up your own duct work, making your own blast gates etc... Having worked with both PVC and Sheet metal, metal ducts are pretty easy and I think cheaper in the long run. Just wear gloves when working with the stuff DAMHIKT.

PVC is fun to mess with and I have a bunch in my system but after working with both setting mine up I prefer metal

Bob Savage
12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
For one machine at a time that should be ok. I usually have two sometimes 3 gates open on my system with a 3.5 HP blower. Keep in mind regardless of the size of your motor duct sizing is probably more important. 6" Ducts/hose allow for almost double the CFM vs a 4" duct or hose, and for the most part a larger motor won't really pull a whole lot more air through a 4" duct.

At most, I could have the CNC running and me cutting or sanding somewhere else. I plan on running 6" throughout and reducing just prior to the tools/machines. I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Keith Outten
12-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Jim,

My new top won't be plexiglass. We had a dozen sheets of 1/16" thick plastic that they use to cover walls in kitchens that was left over at the end of one of our construction jobs. They were going to throw them in the dumpster so I saved them from that fate figuring I would find a use for them someday. The stuff is tough as nails and a very pliable material so it should last for a very long time if is resistant to UV.

I am welding a steel curved top something like an old chuck-wagon shape. Using angle iron for the frame that sits on the tank edges then flat bar from side to side that provides the curved top. I have a couple of heavy pieces of angle running the length of the frame so I can weld upright stiffeners from the angle to the flat bar. I plan to cover the frame with 1/4" luan plywood and place the plastic sheet over the luan. a lifting lug in the center of the top will be added so I can lift the top off with my tractor when it is time to empty the box.

I covered the big tank with white vinyl siding to match my workshop. The goal is a no maintenance chip box this time that will be here when I'm gone :)

My 1.5 hp Grizzly dust collector runs like a 3hp model with zero restriction, no filters or bags. Outside I doubt the noise will be an issue if you are more than a few feet from the box. I wouldn't be afraid to use this setup in a housing project with close neighbors.

James Jaragosky
12-12-2009, 3:45 PM
In the summer I will paint it to match the house. The vent is caulked and screwed into place. the house wrap tape is temporary until the caulk is set. I lined the Inside of the vent with fine ss window screen. the vent is installed upside down so I can check the dust level. I have a metal rain deflector to prevent water from entering the box.
Thanks for the interest.
Regards
Jim J.