PDA

View Full Version : 14" Band Saw--Which One?

Gredo Goldenstein
10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Hello Fellow Creekers-

I have put the funds together for the purchase of a band saw for the shop. The "all inclusive" price is $500. This needs to include the saw and how it gets to me. I have been thinking about the Grizzly and also the Jet. One of the drawbacks I see with the Jet is it doesn't come with a fence. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Gredo

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Hi Gredo. I have the Grizzly 0555 BS, and I really like it. It does everything I ask it to do, and does it well. I also added the riser kit to mine, and it only makes it better, IMO. For the money, I am very satisfied with mine, and I would buy it again, no question. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :D

Roger Barga
10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi Gredo,

I own a Jet and it serves me well, but since I haven't tried the Grizzly I really can't compare the two. However, I don't think the lack of a fence should be that much of a factor in your decision. My Jet came with a fence (promo deal) and I soon replaced it with a simple shop made version that I could adjust (the angle) more easily and its provides 6" of support. The typical fence that comes with a bandsaw locks parallel to the blade, yet bandsaws usually have "drift" in the cut that requires you adjust the fence in order to compensate. Moreover, the typical fence is only two to three inches high, which isn't enough if you wish to resaw 6" or more pieces of wood. If you are interested I can provide a photo of my fence (it requires that you clamp it to the table) that is pretty easy to make.

Cheers,
Roger

Kent Cori
10-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I am the very satisfied owner of a Griz 0555 with riser block, a selection of Timberwolf blades and an Ittura spring ($15). This is an outstanding combo. I use the fence fairly often and am glad it came with the saw. The T blaes are also excellent performers. Finally, the Ittura spring really improves the performance by ensuring the blade is adequately tensioned. The OEM spring was pretty wimpy and the only weak component that I've discovered in the past year of ownership. I also added one of their inexpensive wheel brushes which has effectively kept the sawdust off the lower tire.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Third vote for the Grizzly. Even though I like Jet. I have many of their tools, but for the price, I believe the Grizzly is the better value.

Greg Heppeard
10-07-2004, 1:34 AM
You might want to call your local Woodcraft. It seems that a couple of months ago, Jet found some Gold series 14" band saws tucked away in the back of their warehouse and offered them up. The difference is, the Gold comes with a fence and miter guage. The price should fit in your budget, if they are still available.

sascha gast
10-07-2004, 1:36 AM
i have the jet and bought the fence for it. they make 2 of them and the better one looks almost like a little biesemeyer fence. it's awesome.
but if you really want a great saw, save up some more and wait. then get a larger saw. i have 2 now, a 14" jet and the laguna 16HD. wish i would have known before

sascha

Keith Christopher
10-07-2004, 1:37 AM
I bought the Grizzly 555 on the recommendation of the sawmill members and it is worth more that every penny I paid for it. I LOVE it ! go with the grizzly.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-07-2004, 7:51 AM
Hi Gredo,

I own a Jet and it serves me well, but since I haven't tried the Grizzly I really can't compare the two. However, I don't think the lack of a fence should be that much of a factor in your decision. My Jet came with a fence (promo deal) and I soon replaced it with a simple shop made version that I could adjust (the angle) more easily and its provides 6" of support. The typical fence that comes with a bandsaw locks parallel to the blade, yet bandsaws usually have "drift" in the cut that requires you adjust the fence in order to compensate. Moreover, the typical fence is only two to three inches high, which isn't enough if you wish to resaw 6" or more pieces of wood. If you are interested I can provide a photo of my fence (it requires that you clamp it to the table) that is pretty easy to make.

Cheers,
Roger

Roger-

Thanks for the advice. I would love to see a pic or two of your shopmade fence. I am very pleased to have many hands-on opinions about these saws. I havn't yet made up my mind but will within the next week or so.

Gredo

Chad Young
10-07-2004, 8:57 AM
One more vote for the Grizzly. I have had mine for about a year and love it.

Chad

Vince Sandy
10-07-2004, 9:18 AM
Another vote for the Grizzly G0555. I bought based on value, and at the time of purchase all the reviews/information pointed to the G0555. I've had mine for over a year and have no complaints. I'm impressed with the features and quality at that price.

Vince

Tom LaRussa
10-07-2004, 9:25 AM
I have put the funds together for the purchase of a band saw for the shop. The "all inclusive" price is $500. This needs to include the saw and how it gets to me. I have been thinking about the Grizzly and also the Jet. One of the drawbacks I see with the Jet is it doesn't come with a fence. Any thoughts?

Grizzly 0555

Get the 6" extender block at the same time and it's still less than $500, delivered, anywhere in the lower 48.

Comes complete with:

fence
miter guide
roller bearings
4" DC hookup
blade tensioner/detensioner lever
Takes a couple hours to set up. Wheels were within a couple adjuster turns of coplanar right out of the box.

Fantastic saw @ fantastic price...

Etc...

Charlie Plesums
10-07-2004, 10:46 AM
My first bandsaw was a benchtop Delta - a waste of money, even though it was only about $100

My second bandsaw was the 14 inch Jet. No fence, but I made one. No dust collection but they say it has some (just doesn't work).

Then I was in the Grizzly showroom and realized that the G0555 is made in the same factory. Same castings. Same location of all the mounting holes. Same riser block. But a big 4 inch dust collection port on the lower wheel housing, plus fence, plus roller guides, plus tension release, plus multiple speeds. I was sick - the Jet was too new to have an excuse to trade.

Then someone was in my shop and saw the Jet. "If you ever want to sell that bandsaw, let me know - it is the kind I want to get." A week later I had the Grizzly with the riser block.

So my third bandsaw was (and still is) the Grizzly G0555 - a great saw, far better than the Jet.