PDA

View Full Version : Double-Sided Tape For Vector Cutting - Need Suggestions!

Scott Balboa
12-11-2009, 1:19 PM
I know there is lots of tape out there, but my need is specific...

I do a lot of vector-cut 1/16" and 1/8" acrylic lettering and have always hand-cut and taped the backs with a strong double-stick tape (between 1/8" and 3/4" wide). For obvious reasons this is time consuming and somewhat of a chore, even though I've become a very good taper in the process! I've never been taught a better way, so I'm hoping someone here can suggest something better.

I'm assuming there is a strong double-sided tape (preferably wide) I could apply to one side of the acrylic, then vector-cut, and then just peel the other side of the tape and apply. It needs to be strong tape and leave a clean vector cut on that side of the acrylic.

Is there any product or technique you guys can recommend? Much appreciated! :D

Dan Hintz
12-11-2009, 1:27 PM
3M sells the stuff in sheets several feet wide, a good selection of adhesives from standard tack to "Oh my God, I'm permanently affixed to my workbench!" tack.

Martin Boekers
12-11-2009, 1:40 PM
I use Gold Line Premium tape from JDS (same as I use on plates)
It's good stong stuff!

I cut out a fair amount of Acrylic letters (black).
I just run strips on the back of the plex and vector
cut with out a problem. The tape isn't cheap, but
I know the letters will not fall off!

Marty

Scott Challoner
12-11-2009, 1:43 PM
I get sheets of pressure sensative adhesive from Johnson Plastics (JP SHT330). It comes in 18" X 24" sheets and i think it's $4 a sheet. I typically buy the same size acrylic from Menards, Home Depot etc., paint both sides and then apply the adhesive. Then I can cut out whatever I need and the adhesive is already on the back. I also cut shapes out of bare sheets when needed.
Did you know that you can have adhesive applied to just about anything you buy from Johnson Plastics (probably other suppliers too.)
In the comments section, just say that you want to add TAPE468 to whatever part number you want. Costs $3 for a 12x24 sheet. There are other adhsives that can be applied too. If you have a catalog they're on page 196 along with the sheet stock. It's hard to find on their website.

No, I do not work for Johson Plastics. :D

HTH

Scott Balboa
12-11-2009, 3:56 PM
I will check it out...thanks.

Martin,

I use the gold JDS tape as well for just about everything, and think it is an excellent tape for everything from plaques to acrylic. As far as I remember they have up to 2", so maybe running a few 2" lines of it would suffice for now.

Joe Pelonio
12-11-2009, 9:51 PM
I keep a roll of 6" 3M 467MP on hand, two passes to cover the back of a 12x24 sheet and holds up outdoors on smooth surfaces. Not cheap, though,
I think last time $70/roll.