View Full Version : military insignia

Randy Walker
12-11-2009, 1:00 PM
My carving club ”The Wood Den Carving Club” is carving canes for returning injured veterans and has asked if I could engrave military insignia for them to apply to canes that they carve. Of course I told them that I would gladly do it for them. Now I need to find the insignia to engrave which is where you come in. I have done a couple of quick searches but most of what I came up with was not useable. If any of you have any of the military branch insignia, and would like to share them with us it would be greatly appreciated. Specifically I need army, marine, and Tennessee National Guard for current projects (injured veterans). Other military branches I am sure will be needed in the future as bombs and bullets don’t care what branch the victim is in. Others may also find this a good resource for their local organizations too. 100% of what we are doing is donated by the members of the club for our veterans.

Thank you for all of your help
Randy Walker

Scott Balboa
12-11-2009, 1:05 PM
I always try www.brandsoftheworld.com (http://www.brandsoftheworld.com) first.

They may have at least half of the ones you mentioned.

Do a search on their site and you should find what you're looking for. All the downloads are free and don't require registering or any of that...

Martin Boekers
12-11-2009, 1:52 PM
This ought to get you started.
Wikipedia is a good place to search.
You can search with the organization you looking for and sometimes they will email a file.

If there is a recruiter or military base near you, you may check with them.
Esp. engraving shops in their Arts & Crafts Center. They may be able to



J Porter
12-11-2009, 3:08 PM
Most of these oranizations are very proud of their logos and titles and therefore want them represented properly, and rightly so. To insure this they require a license to reproduce items. The USAF defines it like this:
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the USAF qualifies as a trademark.

And any reproduction of their trademark requires a license. I would imagine most of the other organizations do too.

btw... the applications for licensure are quite lenghty and must be accompanied by descriptions/samples of items for approval. I don't think it matters whether you're selling items or donating them.

You may want to search the archives here. This has discussed before.

Mike Null
12-11-2009, 3:43 PM
There are no licenses required. You can get approval by letter or email by contacting the Dept of Heraldry for the Army and they can give the contacts for the other services.

An emblem is different than a seal. Seals will not be authorized for any use.

In most cases the things you'll want to use are considered to be in the public domain. Only recently has the Air Force attempted to enforce rules with respect to their logos.

Martin Boekers
12-11-2009, 4:21 PM
You can find most all the info about Heradry for the Army and Air Force here.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=9ccc73130ae368df2e68ae8bdfd627e7;rg n=div5;view=text;node=32%3A3.;idno=32;cc=ec fr

Hope this helps.

Most of the issues occur when someone uses the symbols in a derogatory way or used to decieve, as in wearing devices they haven't earned.

This web page will outline what you need to know. If you have a military base near you can contact the historians office and he should be able to help with this.


Randy Walker
12-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry for my absence I have been busy. Thank you all for your help. I was able to get the insignia that I need. I will take steps necessary to get permission as needed.

Thank you
Randy Walkerhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif