PDA

View Full Version : Bubinga Bowl

Scott Coffelt
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I need to make a couple of wedding presents, so this is part one of the items. I made it out of Bubinga. There's a little reflection int he picture I notice a couple of white streaks. Pretty grain on this stuff. I also wanted to make the lip stand out, so i decided to burn it a tad, I think it worked.

I also plan to make a small keepsake box out of fisheye (or fishtial, whatever it's called) oak and something.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Nice work :)

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Nice Job Scott !!
That thang is purdy:D
Nice shape and finish
The rim looks great I'll have to try that sometime
Jim

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-06-2004, 10:47 PM
NICE Scott! That looks really good.........the shape it cool, and like mentioned before, the rim detail works well with the shape. The finish looks great as well.....................care to share the finish technique with us? Sharp work......................I am sure the lucky couple will cherish that gift for years and years. Thanks for sharing that with us! :)

Scott Coffelt
10-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Nothing special, Sanded to 320 grit with wet & dry paper. Then wiped with water and sanded again to 320. I use the brown stick wax for pens and then followed with Hut's friction polish where I cranked up the speed.

I also used my new Sorby Hollowing Tool and the edge is really thin (can't tell from pics) and then thickens a little as it turns. Need much more practice with it as it really wanted to vibrate when working the lower sides. I also need to pick up a real heavy curved scraper for the bottom. When done, I realized I dang near punched through the bottom. I'd say about 1/8" or less left. I plan to turn a piece to insert into the bottom (underside) for strength and also allow for me to insert a logo medallin I had lasered.

Finalling, after using Terry's lathe at the BBQ and now my crappy Ridgid, mine really sucks. I tried to bear down on the tool while rough hollowing stopped the lathe several times. No poop in that thing. I see a new lathe somewhere in my future (probably after the new shop is built).

Dick Parr
10-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Very very nice Scott. That Bubinga sure looks good and I like the burnt ring. It does add a nice highlight to it.

Michael Stafford
10-07-2004, 7:09 AM
Nice,nice,nice! I love bubinga. You did a great job. I will be celebrating a birthday soon and I don't have a bubinga bowl...

John Miliunas
10-07-2004, 8:11 AM
That's one purdy lookin' bowl, Scott! I can see *any* recipient of that piece being very happy and appreciative of it. :) Like the other guys said, that Bubinga looks wonderful, especially with that form. The grain on the outside wall just seems to flow beautifully. Great job, Scott! :cool:

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 1:48 PM
Finalling, after using Terry's lathe at the BBQ and now my crappy Ridgid, mine really sucks. I tried to bear down on the tool while rough hollowing stopped the lathe several times. No poop in that thing. I see a new lathe somewhere in my future (probably after the new shop is built).
LOL...well, at least you know there is a better quality lathe out there and something to save up a few pennies for.

Bubinga is, hands down, one of those woods that is just gorgeous no matter what is done to it. I have a couple bd ft of it (4/4, 6" wide, 4' long) but no project for it. Nice dense wood...great bowl...now get a real lathe! :)

John Miliunas
10-07-2004, 2:00 PM
Nice dense wood...great bowl...now get a real lathe! :)

Hey, cut the guy some slack, awready! :) NOT everyone has the kind of $$$ you CA brethren seem to have! :( Given that, Scott did a great job, so there! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
10-07-2004, 2:28 PM
Chris would only have a lathe if Mini Max made one... by the way do they make one? :p

Chris, I have a piece 4/4 15"x6', no real project for it just a nice piece of wood. Prbably will wind up with the curly maple I have in a table of some sort.

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 2:39 PM
Chris would only have a lathe if Mini Max made one... by the way do they make one? :p

Chris, I have a piece 4/4 15"x6', no real project for it just a nice piece of wood. Prbably will wind up with the curly maple I have in a table of some sort.
Mini-Max DOES make a lathe...Jack sent me a PDF of a review article! :)

Yep, I collect wood, too. My wife sees some nice stuff but if she doesn't have a project in mind, she doesn't see the need to spend the money. If I see nice wood...I spend the money...now storage...well.... :o

Lou Morrissette
10-07-2004, 5:36 PM
Great looking bowl, Scott. And with a Ridgid no less. It only proves that the craftmanship lies in the soul, not in the tool.;)

Jack Diemer
10-07-2004, 8:15 PM
That bowl is awesome Scott!!! Is that the blank you bought from Waymon??

Scott Coffelt
10-07-2004, 11:23 PM
No, I changed my mind on that one. That blank looks so good I don't want to give it away. This is one of two blanks I bought from Woodcrafts for $17 each.

Jim Becker
10-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Nice job, Scott. Bubinga has a nice look to it, although I'm sensitive to it for some reason.

keith zimmerman
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Very nice looking bowl. I really like the soft look of the grain and the burn sets it off quite nicely.

It is always a rush and a great sense of pride to be able to create such an item on a "inferior" tool.

keithz

Mike Hannah
10-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Great looking bowl Scott! Did you use that new swan neck Sorby to hollow out the inside. How do you like that tool? Is that one of the tools that Woodcraft has on sale.

Scott Coffelt
10-10-2004, 8:31 PM
Yes I used the new Sorby swan scraper I bought from Grizzly. It worked nice, but I wish I had bought the larger one. Even with the 30%, I think Grizzly is still cheaper.