PDA

View Full Version : Knobs for Grandsons cradle

Jeff Nicol
12-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Good morning turning fans! Here are the finishing touches for the cradle I built for our first grandchild who is being stubborn and staying warm in his mothers tummy! He is due any day and might be a little over due and our daughter is ready to get him into the world. So here are the knobs that hold it together so it will swing, and here is the link to the post on SMC woodworking projects forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1280560#post1280560

We will brave the cold to take it up to her today, and maybe a side trip to Woodcraft or Rockler!

Have a spinny day!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Very nice detail work on the knobs Jeff! The cradle is great! Really like all the detail work!

Hope your grandson decides to join us real soon!

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Jeff, those match the style of the cradle very well!! Just had my first experience at doing a couple of knobs several days ago, but I suspect you have a lot more shavings behind you than do I!!;):D

steven carter
12-11-2009, 2:03 PM
Jeff,

great looking knobs, hope all goes well with the delivery!!

Steve

David E Keller
12-11-2009, 2:29 PM
Nice work on the crib... I built my son's crib several years ago, and I really felt great knowing that I made it with my own hands. Congrats in advance on the grandkid.

Jeff Nicol
12-11-2009, 4:44 PM
Thanks all for the coments! Our daughter had no idea what it looked like so it was a complete surprise for her! She and her 1 year old english setter, his name is Berkley both liked it a lot! The dog wanted to get in it and test it out right away, so she will have to watch him, he is pretty goofy though and fun to watch when new things come in the house. My son-in-law was working so he won't see it until later. The stain I picked out almost matched everything else perfectly so that is good. Now back to more ornaments and tools, and steady rests and on and on....... I love being busy! But this is out of control :eek:!

Have a great weekend all,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2009, 7:42 PM
Jeff those are beauties. Real nice knobs.

Chris Stolicky
12-13-2009, 9:20 AM
Nice knobs. I made a cradle this past spring for my daughter (born in April). I made it out of maple and walnut and then made knobs out of bocote to match the color scheme. I did make one knob out of tulip wood for the locking pin though.

It is really rewarding to make something that will get used like this. Here is a link to where I posted it:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109009

When I was coming up with a design I combined a couple of plans, plus scoured SMC for ideas. I think I incorporated a little bit of everything.

Congrats on the grandchild.