PDA

View Full Version : 56Degree Bevel

Joe MC Donnell
10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone,
New member, 1st post! How can I rip a 56 degree bevel on the edge of some 8quarter stock? The bevel gauge on my table saw only goes to 45degrees.

Thanks for your help,
Joe Mc

Bob Smalser
10-06-2004, 10:28 PM
How long and how much of this you gonna do?

For a lot of them, you can build a tapered sled for the TS....

...freehand it on the bandsaw with a helper offbearing then run it over the jointer for one or two....

...or you can use a hand plane for one shortie.

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Make a 45° sled and set your saw at 11°.

Edited to say saw should be set to 79°

Ralph Barhorst
10-07-2004, 11:55 AM
On most table saws the bevel adjustment reads "0 degrees" when you cut the wood at 90 degrees. Setting the adjustment to 34 degrees should actually produce a 56 degree bevel.

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 2:18 PM
Yep, Ralph has it--most of it. Mark your intended angle on the wood (just get it close) and set the blade to 90 - 56 = 34 orient the piece correctly to get that angle. This means, of course, that the 8/4 piece will have it's ~2" thickness side on the table top and the width of the piece will ride against the fence. This might present some safety problems for cutting.

If your saw is a right-tilt, you might need to move the fence (or mount a quickie fence) to the other side of the blade. You may also need an auxilliary fence--similar to what is used for cutting rabbets.

Just be careful and thoughful with the set up and you should be fine. You might also use a hand saw to remove most of the waste and clean it up on the table-saw.

Dave Shaffer
10-07-2004, 2:29 PM
Hmmm...Maybe we are looking at it different. Sounds like your saying 56° is 34° off of streight up. I was looking at 56° off of streight up. The reason I am thinking 56° off of streight up is because Joe said "The bevel gauge on my table saw only goes to 45degrees."

Maybe we need a clarification of what a 56° bevel is refering to.