PDA

View Full Version : Turnings for the Twins

Dick Parr
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
I finished up some rattles for the twins today, but after looking at them for awhile, I think they are too big. As small as those kids are, it will be a year before they can lift them. :eek: So tomorrow it's back into the shop to see about making some smaller ones. This is my first project with captive rings. Each one came out better then one before it. I was going to get one of those Sorby captive ring tools (since they are on sale :D ) but now I don't think I need one. But then again, it is for a good cause. :p ;)

Once I get them to the right size, I will look for a place that does laser work to inscribe their names on them. Might as well do it right.

Thanks for looking.

John Miliunas
10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Why is so many of you guys doing stuff for the "first time" always seem to put out stuff that I *might* be able to do after a half a dozen tries? :confused: Nice job on the rattles, Dick! :) Maybe sometime in this century, I'll be able to get back and do a little turning! :o Anyhow, they look great and be sure to post more pics once you make the mini models! :cool:

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Nice Job Dick!
You know I'll have to make some for my Twins that are in the oven since you posted that;) how are they?
Jim

Jerry Olexa
10-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Good job and for a special cause.. The twins will someday treasure them because you made them.

John M. Cioffi
10-07-2004, 7:05 AM
Dick,

Great job. I echo John M's comments. Can you tell me what tool & technique you used to turn the rings. I'm about to visit WoodCraft for the captive ring tool, but may be able to save the funds,for something else.
Thanks. BTW Dick, do you have the 2-part book from Phil Irons?
John

Michael Stafford
10-07-2004, 7:16 AM
Dick, the rattles are nice. They might be a little large but the kids will not have any trouble using them. When they are a little bigger they'll use them as clubs on each other. :eek: EXCUSE ME, I thought I read just a few days ago that you had used your entire tool budget for the year. :p There is no excuse good enough to purchase any more tools... except I need it for the grandkids... it would help with my next project... I need it for your project, Honey. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2004, 7:54 AM
Nice first rattles Dick! I can tell you.....You found the one excuse that will allow you to safely expand you tool budget....here's how you use it....."But Grandma....I need it for the Grandkids!" They last about 4 seconds....the reply is "Okay...." then you see the glow in their eyes. I personally am trying to get up the courage, after I finish my new shop, of course, to use that excuse to get a bandsaw.....Becareful using it though. My oldest grandson is 16 worked on a local farm this summer. I'm 6'2"....so is he. I'm going to say "But Grandma, I need it to make something for the Grandkids"....Jason, would claim the bandsaw and sell it to get more parts for the car he and his Dad are building. Nice rattles Dick!

Tyler Howell
10-07-2004, 9:14 AM
Go Grampa! Too Nice!:D

Richard Allen
10-07-2004, 9:49 AM
Hi Dick

Nice looking rattles. You look to have the captive ring thing down cold.

The Sorby captive ring tools come in pairs. I prefer the captive ring tools were one tool is used for both sides. I like the tool to be for the next size larger so the "heel" of the cutting edge doesn't damage the top of the ring as I am freeing up the ring.

I like to use close grain woods like Maple or Cherry or Pear. That way when they chew on the rattles they get dust instead of splinters.

I have heard that 5 months is the earliest that the rattles can be made good use of. Before 5 months the infant tends to bang themselves in the head as much as anything else. So a larger size will tend to work fine.

Be aware of choking hazards. The rattle should NOT be able to go into a toilet paper roll. I have on occasion, drilled a 1" hole down the length of the rattle so the child can breath if the rattle gets stuck in the mouth. I have switched to making large rings 3/8" to 1/2" in hopes that they will be less likely to break in use. I fear that a broken ring might be a choking hazard. I also make sure the owner knows that the rattle is made of natural materials and as such they should not let the child sleep with the rattle or be otherwise unsupervised while with the rattle. I likely worry to much about the safety part. I just get visions of a child losing their life because of something I did wrong.

I still make rattles, and enjoy making them and giving them as gifts. I just make them quite a bit more robust than I used to.

Good Luck

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 9:51 AM
John M. C.
I mainly used a skew, parting tool and hand made tool. I had a small set of gouges that I really wasn't using for anything and I ground a small notch on the end of two of them on opposite sides. The first rattle (smallest one) I parted the wood down about 3/8" on both sides of the bead, rounded the bead over and then started taking out material from both sides until it came loose. I first used the hand made gouges on each side (they grabbed allot) until I could get the tip of a 3/4" skew down and under the bead. I just worked it from one side to the other until they met in the middle. That one took awhile to complete and there was a lot of hand sanding of the jagged inside of the rings.

The second one I started after a senior moment.... and remembered I had bought that mini 5 piece set that PSI sells (smaller skew and parting tool). I didn't use the hand made gouges but everything else was the same except using the mini's I mainly used the 1/16" parting tool and it dug right under the beads. I forgot to mention, before the final parting of the ring, sand as much as you can on the lathe. After sanding still using the parting tool the rings came free with nice clean inside rings that only need a once over with some paper to make sure of no splinters. After you are done with all the rings smooth out the shaft of what you are making so the rings move freely.

After everything is sanded I went to the store and got some Walnut Oil and soaked the rattles in a bowl of oil for about 5 min and the wiped them down and set them aside and they were dry in a couple of hours.

Breaking News, Ken you were Right, while typing this note the wife called and since it is for the twins, I got the OK to get the captive ring cutter from Woodcraft. See guys, honesty does pay. :D

Donnie Raines
10-07-2004, 9:58 AM
Good looking rattles there......I wish I had one.... :D

John M. Cioffi
10-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks dick, for your quick & thorough response.

I'm heading for the ring tool,then!

John, always tooling around...:D

Steve Clardy
10-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Dick. When I saw the title to your post, I first thought you were turning something for Me and my twin brother Chris.:eek::rolleyes::)
Oh well. lol
Btw. Nice turnings!!:D

Steve:)

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 2:08 PM
haha, Steve.

Dick, nice stuff...kids grow fast...they'll be banging those things all over the place. Make them something to beat on...the noiser the better they seem to like it! :D

John Miliunas
10-07-2004, 2:13 PM
Oh heck, Dick. Just send "our" twins here the empty box. They'd have more fun with it, anyway! :D :cool:

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 5:55 PM
Your right about that John. :D

I am keeping the toys quit for now. :eek: Because starting on their first birthday, they each get a drum set. :D It's pay-back time........ :p

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 5:57 PM
Thanks Chris, it is time for a change...... :cool:

Randy Meijer
07-25-2005, 3:06 PM
While the captive rings are a way to display the skill of the turner and are a clever built-in rattling mechanism, if they should break, they become a choking hazard...

Harry's point is well taken; but even if the rings don't break, there is still a choking risk. Federal regulations(according to another SMC thread) require that things like this have a min. diameter of 1-11/16" or to make it easier to remember and safer add a 1/16th and call it 1-3/4"!!