PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Thanks

Heath Brandenburg
12-11-2009, 2:02 AM
I figured it was time to quit lurking and introduce myself.

But first, a big "Thanks" to all of you that have shared your knowledge in these forums over the years. Anytime I have a question about woodworking or tools, it seems that I can just hit the search button and find the answer here.

Anyhow, I've been toying around with woodwork off and on for quite a few years now...mostly rough projects hacked together with cheap benchtop power tools. More recently I've tried to teach myself the ins and outs of the lathe. Now, it has been more than a year since I've had a chance to really tinker around in the shop and am hoping to change that real soon.

I am in the process of setting up my appx. 300 sq ft detached garage as a mixed shop (woodwork with a touch of metal and auto mechanics). My sub-hundred-dollar toys are slowly being replaced with more substantial tools and some essentials, such as dust collection and air filtration, are being added. When the weather warms up a bit I'll be running quite a bit of wire in order to run said tools...there is currently a single 15A circuit to power the garage and the finished loft above :(

I think my biggest challenge is going to be in learning how to properly setup and maintain the equipment that finds it's way into my little space.

That's about it for now. I'm sure I'll have some questions later.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2009, 9:28 AM
Welcome to the Creek Heath!

Glenn Clabo
12-11-2009, 9:45 AM
Hey there Heath...welcome aboard.

Bruce Page
12-11-2009, 9:51 AM
Heath, welcome to SMC.
We'll be happy to help you spend your $$ when you upgrade!

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Welcome Heath!! Please understand that you have innocently walked into a den of tool addicts. It would be easier if you just set a payroll deduction to each of the major tool suppliers and learn to live on half of your present income.:D Life as you once knew it is history!

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the Creek Heath! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Heath - and welcome!

I'm pleased to see you're taking on DC and air filtration as a priority in your shop. Keep us updated on your projects and your shop improvements.

David Christopher
12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
welcome to the creek Heath, remember that this bunch loves pictures, so show us your projects

Heath Brandenburg
12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks, all! I'll get some pictures when I can...the camera died last night while photographing first jointer, an Atlas 6001.

Welcome Heath!! Please understand that you have innocently walked into a den of tool addicts. It would be easier if you just set a payroll deduction to each of the major tool suppliers and learn to live on half of your present income.:D Life as you once knew it is history!

John: Innocently? Ha! I have intentionally jumped in head first to further feed my own tool addiction. Fortunately, I have been able to keep it under control...until a deal pops up. Although, I am becoming more efficient at finding those deals on a regular basis. I have multiple RSS feeds setup to scour CL for me. The 'Deals and Discounts' section here has helped me to spend a bit more money as well; Bing's 20% cash back forced me to buy a Bosch 4100 table saw which should arrive Monday afternoon.

gary Zimmel
12-11-2009, 1:40 PM
Welcome to the Creek Heath.
Good to have you aboard and looking forward to seeing some pics of projects....

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2009, 9:32 AM
Howdy Heath.!! Stay warm while you work on your shop stuff.