PDA

View Full Version : Met some new friends tonight

Dick Parr
10-06-2004, 9:42 PM
Fellow Creeker Joe Breid and his buddy Tim were in town and stopped by for a cold one, :D and we talked Joe into some turning. Joe tried out my new multi tip scraper and the hollowmaster to make a goblet out of some fresh cut hackberry that Bill Chapman, another Creeker brought over when he came to meet Joe and Tim.

It is always good to meet new people that you have something in common with, like woodworking. It doesn't hurt that they also like to have a cold one with you :D and that you can put a face with a name on the other end of a computer. I think it was a fun couple of hours had by all and Joe and Tim are always welcome back when they come to town.

The first picture is Joe hard at it, the second one is Tim, Bill and Joe without the airsheild and the last one is me and Joe.

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 9:48 PM
Sound like you guys had a Great time Dick.
You ever up this way?

Jim

Dick Parr
10-06-2004, 9:53 PM
Not sure where Weber City is Jim? Our daughter and son-inlaw live in Fairfax, we take I-81 most of the way there.

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I will PM you on where I live
Jim

John Miliunas
10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, it sound AND looks like you guys had a fun time! Good for you!:D I know I've never been disappointed by a fellow Creeker visit! :cool:

Joe Breid
10-07-2004, 7:30 AM
I could not help but have a great time visiting with Dick and Jim last night. They furnished the drinks, a clean shop, sharp tools, wood and advice. I left them with empty bottles and a messy shop. I was able to receive some turning advice and try out some new tools.

Dick also showed me his numerous completed pieces and believe me, his postings do not do justice to his craftsmanship and finishing. They are awesome!!

Dick and Jim, thanks for a great time.

Joe

Michael Stafford
10-07-2004, 7:55 AM
Dick, as the old adage goes "A good time was had by all". One question for you. It appears in the first picture that you have a piece of melamine behind the lathe at an angle. Is that being used to deflect chips or for some other purpose? Just curious...

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 8:51 AM
Mike the white board is mainly there to give a shadow line on what I am turning. The end of the work table is dark and looking down at whatever I was turning made it hard to see the outline of the piece and not be able to see the outline. So I had that piece of melamine laying around and it was big enough to work for what I wanted and also help to deflect the chips and keep them from going all over the front. But mainly it was to show shadow lines of whatever is turning. When making those rattles, I found it easy to clamp the sketch of the rattle dim. to it where I could see them. So I got a 3 for 1 with that great :eek: idea. :D

Ted Shrader
10-07-2004, 1:18 PM
Dick -

Glad you guys had a great time.

But your post got me to thinking. You said you met some "new friends". My experience with meeting other on-line WW'ing buddies face-to-face for the first time has been more like OLD friends- well maybe I should say long time friends.
The community here has resulted in many good things beyond just expanding woodworking knowledge.

Regards,
Ted

Butch Collins
10-07-2004, 3:39 PM
Can you tell me what kind of cole jaws you are using for the Jet Mini. I have a supernova chuck and would like to pick up some cole jaws that would fit chuck and lathe.

Dick Parr
10-07-2004, 5:46 PM
Butch, I have the Standard SuperNova chuck with the Nova mini jaws and they work great. With the cole jaw comes longer screws so that you can put your regular jaws (mine are 50mm) on top of the cole jaws and then you can go from the wormscrew to the jaws to the cole jaws without having to remove the chuck.

The one drawback is that it is hard to do small turnings with the cole jaws in the way. I think I will be looking for the new Nova 2 so that I can dedicate one just for the cole jaws and then I can have one for each lathe. :D

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 5:53 PM
Okay, new avatars for Dick and Joe! :D :D Free if you use 'em, of course! :)