PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Holes and Solid Wood Tops

Bob Carreiro
12-10-2009, 9:41 PM
Am new to pocket hole use having only used them a half-dozen times or so. While reading another thread about pocket hole screw sizes, someone mentioned using pocket holes for fastening table tops (to aprons). "Hmmm," I thought, "What about wood movement?" So, my question: With solid wood tops, how do the fixed screws account for wood expansion/contraction? What methods of fastening of solid wood do you guys use?

thx,
Bob

William Nimmo
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Just elongate the hole that is in the cleat under the top. Orient the slot so it allows the screw to move with the top as it expands and contracts. Dont tighten it down too much so it doesnt bind on the cleat. I use the pocket screws all the time to hold a top in place, but I don't use the jig to drill these holes.

Rick Fisher
12-11-2009, 5:00 AM
I have done it many times, I use the jig and drill the holes.. Never had a problem..

I dont tighten them all the way.. but they arent loose.. My attitude has been that its just a screw, the rest of the wood can move.. lol..

Never been a problem ..

Lee Schierer
12-11-2009, 9:11 AM
I've used pocket holes to attach frames inside dressers to solid wood side panels with no problems. I drill the pockets to the correct depth and then run a screw in to mark the hole on the joint surface, then elongate that hole with another drill bit. So far no problems with panels splitting.

Thomas Pender
12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
On what Lee says - I used Kreg screws to screw in web frames for dressers, etc. in the back (on the bottom of the frame) to the back posts, especially if it has a panel between the posts. They are invisible and nice and strong.

I have also used them the fix table tops to aprons vice the old hold downs. I like them a lot.