PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Dovetail jig

Lee Schierer
10-06-2004, 8:08 PM
Does anyone have the Rockler dovetail jig? I have one and it is driving me nuts. I set the depth of slot adjustment so that it measures the same on the right and left hand sides of the jig. I even checked it with dial calipers to make sure I had both sides set the same. When I cut dovetails, the slots closest to right side as you face the jig end up deepr than those on the left. This happens on both sides of the jig.

Here's what I've checked:

1. The boards are square on the ends.
2. The pieces are securely fastened in place through out the operation.
3. The depth of the slots on the guide template are all the same depth.
4. The stops that locate the edges of the pieces are square to the jig and the boards are tight to these stops.
5. I'm not pushing in any harder on one side than the other and the router stays square to the jig at all times.
6. I've checked everything I can thingk of at least twice and still can't get it to come out right.

Any ideas???

I'm making lots of scrap right now.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2004, 8:59 PM
Lee....I am not familiar with the Rockwell Jig. I have a PC but......I was having trouble with mine cutting different from side to side. When I finally found the problem.....I wasted a lot of wood first......it turned out the collar wasn't centered in my router base. As I wouldn't always keep the router at the same exact angle while cutting each dovetail......it varied depth and spacing....just a thought. :confused:

Gene Collison
10-09-2004, 11:55 AM
1. The boards are square on the ends.
2. The pieces are securely fastened in place through out the operation.
3. The depth of the slots on the guide template are all the same depth.
4. The stops that locate the edges of the pieces are square to the jig and the boards are tight to these stops.
5. I'm not pushing in any harder on one side than the other and the router stays square to the jig at all times.
6. I've checked everything I can thingk of at least twice and still can't get it to come out right.

Any ideas???

Lee,

I had The shopfox version of this jig which I believe is the same unit and had similar problems. The Shopfox jig template that sits on top would raise itself out of adjustment whenever the hold down wing nuts were tightened enough to hold the workpiece securely. This would result in essentially a different result everytime I used it. I returned it and bought the PC version and it worked well and without problems.

Gene