PDA

View Full Version : Vase for Woodturning Parting

Paul Ray Moore
12-10-2009, 2:28 PM
We have our woodturing club Christmas party this weekend. I watched a video on turning a vase yesterday so I got inspired to try it. I had some black walnut stock so I chucked it up and started turning. This is actually the second one I turned. I was finishing the first one and when sanding near the neck I went through and the top broke off. So I started over with the second piece of stock. It is about 5.5" tall. Critiques and comments welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2009, 3:35 PM
Paul - your vase looks pretty good to me! Real pretty wood - love the rich color! What did you finish the vase with?

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2009, 4:03 PM
Good looking vase out of some nice wood. I really like turning walnut. As Steve asked what's the finish?

Paul Ray Moore
12-10-2009, 5:17 PM
I sanded to 600 then used Triple-E. I don't know if I was supposed to use it or not. I bought it to use on pens but since I had it I thought I would try. Then I used about 4 coats of Watco danish oil, just the clear version. Then I used carnauba wax. I'm trying to decide it I want to use lacquer on it but I think it would react to the wax. I could wipe it with paint thinner and get the wax off then spray it with lacquer but I haven't decided yet.
Thanks for the comments. I really like turning walnut too. The smell and the ease of turning it is wonderful. It leaves a beautiful shine if the tool is riding the bevel the right way. I sometimes get that but not everytime.

Ron Bontz
12-10-2009, 7:37 PM
It's tuff to beat the natural beauty of walnut. Looks good to me. I hope to do some hollow turning sometime but alas my wallet swirled down the vortex for the moment. :)

Jim Kountz
12-10-2009, 8:55 PM
Really nice looking piece, beautiful wood and form!!