PDA

View Full Version : Bowl beginner questions

Sean Hughto
12-10-2009, 2:04 PM
Okay, so I've made a handful of bowls now in my 8 weeks spinning through this vortex. I'm finding that while it is not so hard to make the wood sorta bowl shaped, the devil is in the detail as far as yielding something actually beautiful is in the nuances of the curves and thicknesses and how they all play together. I'm getting that practice and experience are essential, but I wonder if there are any tips or techniques that might save some my precious blanks for a life of clunky inelegance. For example:

- does anyone use (presumably home made) templates to hold up to their bowl curves as they turn? I could imagine cutting some out of card stock after using a compass or the 2-nail and string ellipse method or store bought french curve and then using it as reference between passes

- are there any rules of thumb as to pleasing shapes for classic sizes and uses?

- what general insights have you experienced guys gained as to what thicknesses and curves to shoot for?

Thanks for any thoughts. The curve's the thing!

Brian Effinger
12-10-2009, 2:31 PM
I don't know if I can answer any of your specific questions, but my advice would be to not use your good blanks to practice on. Find some free wood, like logs. Or construction lumber - either one piece or glued up into larger blanks.

Well actually I guess I can answer the shapes question. Look at Greek vessels, they had the proportions just right. Or just look through some of the old posts here. Some of these guys are amazing and have the forms down pat.

Sean Hughto
12-10-2009, 2:33 PM
Thanks.

Don't worry, I'm not practicing on anything too precious, but I hate to see any piece of wood not meet its full potential.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 2:43 PM
Sean.....Go to the member profiles of the following members. There select the "Theads started by those members. My apologies to anyone who might feel left out but these are the guys whose work immediately comes to mind and I inspire to achieve their level of ability some day....should I live that long...

Leo Van Der Loo

Travis Stinson

Mark Cothren

Keith Burns

Steve Schlumph

Dennis Peacock

Neal Addy

Their work should give you some good ideas to start.

Michael Mills
12-10-2009, 3:28 PM
This place has some info on catenary and flexicurve for bowl design
http://www.woodturningdesign.info/ (http://www.woodturningdesign.info/)

This site (under Form in Richard Raffan’s book) has some good info and design and the golden rectangle.
http:.//books.google.com/books?q=%22the+art+of+turned+bowls%22&btnG=Search+Books
If this link does not work go to Google Books and search for "the art of turned bowls"

Mike

Al Wasser
12-10-2009, 4:35 PM
I'll second getting a copy of Raffan's book. It will help with form a lot. When I started I was happy getting a bowl and tried to get as much bowl as I could from a given piece of wood. Now I look at the wood and consider form and in some cases sketch the form I am shooting for before starting. Sometimes I get there and sometimes I don't. Someday maybe I'll learn to take pictures. Just have fun in the process!

Roger Wilson
12-10-2009, 6:37 PM
...This site (under Form in Richard Raffan’s book) ... "the art of turned bowls"...

I've got an older Richard Raffin book, Turned-Bowl Design that has a number of pages of bowl profiles that could be copied and used for templates. Very good little book.

Another thing I'd recommend is that every time you see a good looking bowl or turning project in a woodturning forum save the jpg image to a directory on your hard drive. You will soon build up your own idea bank for fine turning design.

Barry Elder
12-10-2009, 6:42 PM
At the risk of sounding sexist, if the curve you are making does not resemble a curve on some lovely lady you know or wish you knew, then it is a total failure. The human form contains all the curves in the universe.

Richard Madison
12-10-2009, 8:28 PM
Sean,
When you look at the work of those folks that Ken suggested you will see examples of the following:
Smooth, continuous curvatures with no kinks or flat spots.
Foot or base diameter 1/3 the size of the largest diameter, or smaller.
Largest diameter located about 1/3 the total height from the top or bottom.
Beyond (and in addition to) that there are infinite variations. You are wise to work on "form". Some say "form is everything". It isn't, of course, but it's close. Even the most intricate and skillfully crafted segmented piece can be disappointing if the "form" is unattractive.

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2009, 8:55 PM
Sean, practice your technique. Stand back while the bowl is spinning and look at the shape. Your eye will be a good indicator of what is and isn't a good curve. One of the things I like best about turning is the lack of needing to measure or calculate - if you're just turning something for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Sean Hughto
12-10-2009, 9:14 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses everyone! I'll ponder, look at other's work, and generally practice as you've suggested. I just did my first really green turning - like where the streams of water come spraying and big curly cues are fliying out of the gouge! When that was a blast!!!! The birch cut like butter which definitely made it easier to shape. Man, this is addictive and fun.

I tried to turn the walls and bottom a releatively consistent thickness and wrapped the thing in brown paper bags to slow the drying. Here's hoping it doesn't bust up, but even if it does, it was a great time turning it!

Rob Cunningham
12-11-2009, 8:28 AM
Sean, there's a software program called BowlShape that I found on the AAW website a while ago. It was developed by Bill Ooms. I haven't used it too much but it's pretty cool for developing shapes. The last time I looked it was still a free download. You will need to install Java if you don't already have it on your computer. I'll post a link to his site, if that violates any rules, moderators please remove it. You can also Google BowlShape Software to find his site.
http://www.billooms.com/bowlshape.html

Sean Hughto
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Rob. For what it's worth, here's one recent effort, and last night's rough out:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4175207957_1886f62322.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2533/4175208167_dd95026599.jpg

Steve Mawson
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Looks to me like you are "sandbaging"-those are pretty nice. You are well on your way, I never have been able to make a ball like that.

Sean Hughto
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
No sandbagging, I assure you. Maybe I need to post a shot of the pile dismal failures to prove it! ;-)

Mark Patoka
12-11-2009, 1:29 PM
When I first started turning, I started a "scrapbook" of many of the photos people posted here of designs I liked. I used that to find forms and shapes that seemed to work well and try to replicate.

It mostly comes down to turning a piece and then observing/critiquing what you do and don't like about it then adjust for the next one. My wife's collection of test pieces is slowly growing.

steven carter
12-11-2009, 2:09 PM
Sean,

When I am doing a bowl, and working on the shape, I squat down so that I am at eye level with the center of the bowl, and then look at the top horizon line of the bowl. It helps to put a plain background behind it so that other stuff in the shop doesn't interfere with what you are seeing. Hope this helps.

Steve

Sean Hughto
12-11-2009, 2:58 PM
Good tip! Thanks.