PDA

View Full Version : Delta Midi - LA200

Walt Helms
12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Had the drive belt fray on my Delta LA200 midi-lathe. Got a replacement belt in my hands...but....

I've having a heck of a time getting the handwheel off of my LA200 lathe. I've removed the two set screws that are "supposed" to hold the handwheel on.

But I an unable to remove the handwheel! :mad:

Does the handwheel slide on and off, or are there threads on the shaft, so that the handwheel has to be "unscrewed" from the shaft?

Any help or assistance here would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Collins
12-10-2009, 11:51 AM
The handwheel is threaded on. I believe it is a normal right hand thread. There is a washer between the handwheel and bearing that holds the bearing in place. When I took mine apart the bearings seemed very loose in the housing and could easily be removed by hand. They have never caused a problem though.

Perhaps a drop or two of something like PB Blaster or WD40 in each set screw hole will work its way into the threads and loosen them up.

TC

Walt Helms
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Last night, I spent about 10 minutes fiddling around with the handwheel and called it quits!

Before I left for work this morning, I sprayed WD-40 in the setscrew holes.

Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it!

Roger Wilson
12-10-2009, 6:51 PM
www.toolpartsdirect.com (http://www.toolpartsdirect.com) has a nice exploded view of the midi. Click on the zoom icon at the top of the page for a larger, readable image.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/delta/LA200

Leo Van Der Loo
12-10-2009, 7:58 PM
Walt the hand-wheel screws off and on, I had to change my belt and had no trouble removing the hand-wheel by just screwing it off after removing the set-screws, I had a harder time getting the set-screw out of the pulley, bad screw, I changed it for a good one.
Heads-up on reinstalling the hand-wheel, the handwheel keeps the headstock spindle tight, but you have to make sure you do NOT get it so tight that you put too much pressure on the bearings, so JUST TIGHT IS RIGHT, HTH

Walt Helms
12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Leo - right on the money! After sitting all day, the handwheel spun right off!

After that, replacing the belt was indeed "a piece of cake"!

Thanks!