PDA

View Full Version : Will PSI cole chucks fit the SN2?

John Keeton
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I am not familiar enough with the various terms, and the PSI cole chucks say they are for a "C" type chuck. What does this mean, and is the SN2 a "C" chuck?

Sorry to so openly show my ignorance on such things, but I suspect you have figured all that out by now!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
John,

I don't know the answer to your question as I'm not familiar with the PSI Cole chuck.

You do cause me to ask a question, however.

What kind of furniture/spindle turning do you intend on turning that requires a Cole jaws or the "C" type chuck?:confused::rolleyes::D

John Keeton
12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Ken, between you and Bernie, I get no peace!!:D;) Throw Tony in on that, and it gets unbearable!

Just curious, just curious!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

John Keeton
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Update - I called PSI, and that cole style chuck does not fit the Nova chucks - for those that may be just curious!;)

Bill Bolen
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I can confirm the "no". Tried it and no match...Bill..

Tony De Masi
12-10-2009, 11:38 AM
WOW. I had the same question as Ken and got slammed before I even posted. I think we are getting to him.:D:D:D:D

Tony

John Keeton
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
WOW. I had the same question as Ken and got slammed before I even posted. I think we are getting to him.:D:D:D:D

TonyTony, it is called a pre-emptive strike!!:D

Joshua Dinerstein
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I am not familiar enough with the various terms, and the PSI cole chucks say they are for a "C" type chuck. What does this mean, and is the SN2 a "C" chuck?

Sorry to so openly show my ignorance on such things, but I suspect you have figured all that out by now!:D
If all you need are some "cole jaws" and you have the time and inclination then I would suggest you go to Darrel Feltmate's site Aroundthewoods.com. He has a pictorial showing how to make a set out of a small segment of plywood. With a few bolts and nuts thrown in for good measure.

Just to make it easier the link is here: http://www.aroundthewoods.com/jaws.shtml

I made early on his sharpening system and I still use it. It works extremely well for me. I have actually purcahased the plywood to make a set of these but I have spent my time fighting my 3520b rather than turning or making things like these.

Joshua

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Tony,

He took the lure several months ago....we took the slack out of the line and fought him to the boat. He just hasn't figured out yet he's in the live well.

John Keeton
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmmmmm......
http://www.ogmoreriver.com/images/fisherman_boat.gif
That would be Ken on the reel end, and me on the "business end." You guys won't land me without a fight, and it ain't over yet!!:D

Brian Effinger
12-10-2009, 2:28 PM
Just curious, just curious!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Curious, huh? ;) I think he already has a bowl turned and is just trying to figure out how to get the tenon off of the bottom. But that's just my theory. :)

If you're ever "just curious" about how to reverse mount a bowl, do a serch for donut chucks. I've made a few of them and they work great.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 2:32 PM
Hmmmmm......
http://www.ogmoreriver.com/images/fisherman_boat.gif
That would be Ken on the reel end, and me on the "business end." You guys won't land me without a fight, and it ain't over yet!!:D

Can't be me John...the nose is too big and the ears too small!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2009, 4:12 PM
Yep Tony, Ken didn't say a word and got slam dunked.:rolleyes:;)

Of course the minute he bought and turned on that HF lathe Ken and I knew we had him hook, line and sinker.:D:rolleyes:;) I can see a Jet, PM or old arn in the future. Just a matter of time.:D

Jim Sebring
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
FYI: The Jet surplus center is selling off the large (10") Nova cole jaw sets at a great price on Ebay. These were apparently acquired by Jet to be used in promos some time ago. I ordered a set on Sunday, 11/29 and received them on 12/2. The listed price is $37.95 + $4.95 shipping.

These sets were made in N.Z. and come with a book dated 1998.

Search for "nova chuck cole jaw set 709495".

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 6:37 AM
Thanks, Jim!! Just ordered a set - great buy!

Ken, Bernie, Tony - this is just "in case." It's not that I really need them.:rolleyes:;)

Bill O'Conner
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking a closet bowl turner and you guys should make him feel welcome when he does decide to come out

Joshua Dinerstein
12-11-2009, 4:23 PM
Thanks, Jim!! Just ordered a set - great buy!

Ken, Bernie, Tony - this is just "in case." It's not that I really need them.:rolleyes:;)
Darn I was too slow. They don't appear to have any left. Ah well. I will just make my own. :)

Joshua

ROY DICK
12-11-2009, 8:56 PM
So what's next John ?
A call to Mr. Thompson for a BOWL gouge?

Roy

John Keeton
12-11-2009, 9:09 PM
So what's next John ?
A call to Mr. Thompson for a BOWL gouge?

RoyRoy, if I did that it would only be because I have these three laminated handle blanks that are roughed out, and it just wouldn't be right if they weren't put to use!;) And then, there is that nice detail gouge, too...

Of course, now I have cole jaws coming in, and no chuck!! This could get out of hand in short order.:o :eek:

Jim Sebring
12-12-2009, 12:53 AM
John you better go back to Ebay and search for "Nova g3" to find the chuck you need to put those cole jaws on. The guy in B.C. has the best deal around I've found - $125. He has a special running that includes the 50 mm jaws, headstock insert and free shipping.

The Nova cole jaw set that you have coming includes long (20mm) screws. That allows you to piggyback the 50mm jaws onto the cole jaws when attaching them to the chuck. You can then turn a bowl held by a tenon in the 50 mm jaws, then turn it around into the cole jaws to turn the tenon off and decorate the bottom.

John Keeton
12-12-2009, 7:46 AM
John you better go back to Ebay and search for "Nova g3" to find the chuck you need to put those cole jaws on. The guy in B.C. has the best deal around I've found - $125.
Dang, Jim, you have done it again! Order has been placed.
http://www.gifmania.co.uk/money/burning-money/100_dollar_bill_fire_hc.gif

I really appreciate the help here, Jim, but please - NO MORE SUGGESTIONS!!:eek::D I am going to get killed when this stuff comes in!:eek:

Did Ken, Bernie and Tony put you up to this!!!!????!!!?

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2009, 9:58 AM
Now John would the three of us stoop that low????:rolleyes::cool:;)

Kyle Iwamoto
12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
No more suggestions? Well I'll add one anyways, Woodcraft on line had the Supernova2 on sale for $139, free shipping. You can use the SN2 and leave the cole on the G3.

Oh, thanks for the info on the coles on e-bay, but he does not ship to Hawaii, no joy for me. IF I had gotten the coles, I would have them on a seperate chuck..... Something about those long plates spinning very rapidly when I'm trying to cut something would make me nervous.