PDA

View Full Version : end-grain top attachment (expansion/contraction)?

Zach England
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I am building a kitchen island that will have an end-grain top. The top is 22x25 and 2 inches thick made of oak (ran out of maple) and the island itself is made of alder with M/T construction.

My question is, how do I attach the top so there will not be problems with expansion/contraction? I'd like to have it attached permanently and not "float" in any way, but I am afraid any rigid fastener like screws will cause cracking either in the top or the frame. Some sort of dowel or wooden peg attachment, maybe?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks.

Gary Clark33
12-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I built a similar island and had the same concern. I only had figure 8 table top fasteners available and wasn't sure if they would allow for enough movement in both directions. So I "temporarily" placed the top on the frame with no fasteners and found that it doesn't move at all (although I'm not exactly using it like a true butcher block and wailing on it with a meat cleaver).

End grain blocks can move quite a bit. I made the mistake of routing the pockets for the grab bar handle before I oiled the block. The block expanded enough that the bar would not fit and I had to plug and re-route one of the pockets.

If I do permanently mount the top, I plan on routing a groove on the inside of the apron and using L shaped blocks to attach.