PDA

View Full Version : Another Kreg question, clamps

Jerome Hanby
12-10-2009, 8:59 AM
I see the Kreg K3 Master set comes with one of the vise-grip looking face clamps. I also see that Kreg (and others) make several sizes of that clamp as well as some more specialized types. I'm sure the exact type and number of clamps needed will change based on the project, but are there a few types, sizes, and quantities I should have on hand right now to make general pocket hole joinery easier and simpler?

This is the safest phrase in the world for use on SMC: Thanks in advance!

Joe Scharle
12-10-2009, 9:17 AM
I suggest 2 clamps; the pad clamp that comes with the Kreg 3, and the right angle (the one with a pointed end). You probably have all the other clamps you may need on-hand.
Next, I suggest only Kreg or McFeely screws. They will stay on the driver bit. That will become immediatly important when you start using them. I drive my screws with an inpact driver, but have developed a 'feel' when to let off. I follow up with a hand driver. No particular reason...just me.
Kreg also has a small manual for building kitchen cabinets. Very good for getting started even if you're not going to build kitchen cabinets. I built a rolling shopbox with the help of that booklet. BTW, there is no glue on the box, drawers included.

David Peterson MN
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
+1 on the right angle clamps.

I also use the bench klamp system. I have three of the plates inset into my workbench top. It makes assembling a large face frame a breeze. My bench top is just slightly smaller than 4'x8'.

Jerome Hanby
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I nabbed one of the bench clamps from Woodcraft that was mentioned on SMC a week or so back. Ended up getting it for about $10!

Think I'll take both sets of advise and get a right angle clamp. Is one enough?

Thanks!

+1 on the right angle clamps.

I also use the bench klamp system. I have three of the plates inset into my workbench top. It makes assembling a large face frame a breeze. My bench top is just slightly smaller than 4'x8'.

David Peterson MN
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I nabbed one of the bench clamps from Woodcraft that was mentioned on SMC a week or so back. Ended up getting it for about $10!

Think I'll take both sets of advise and get a right angle clamp. Is one enough?

Thanks!

I have three of them that I use on a regular basis. But it depends on the work that you do. I would recommend starting with one and if you need another then buy another.

Jerome Hanby
12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Amazon is just amazing. How do they manage to price everything I order at just under $25:eek:.

Tempted to order two just to make up that free shipping.

What about those deep reach face clamps? Or the other types. If I'm buying another clamp to get free shipping, what's the next one to get?

Steve Leverich
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd recommend at least two of the right angle clamps (the one that fits into the pocket hole) - I find that if you set these snug enough and clamp both ends of the piece, screw the rest of the holes, (starting with the ones closest to the clamps) then finally remove each clamp and replace it with a screw, you get zero side slip.

Just a thought.

Also, if you're handy with a welder you can buy swivel pad clamps from HF for $5-6 and tack weld LARGE flat washers to the pads instead of paying $25 or more each for the Kreg ones... Steve

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37006

Jerome Hanby
12-10-2009, 1:06 PM
I'm a complete hack with a welder :o, but you never know when some welder is going to have computer problems and i get to generate some future favor points!

Josh Reet
12-10-2009, 1:47 PM
You don't need to buy Kreg clamps specifically if you don't want to:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=123623

Dave Gaul
12-10-2009, 1:51 PM
I have the small Kreg kit.. the R3 I think? Anyway, it didn't come with any clamps, so I got this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96721

and it's worked just fine so far! I would eventually like to upgrade to the K3 master system!

Steve Leverich
12-10-2009, 3:38 PM
Josh, I'd forgotten about that thread - guess epoxy would work in the absence of welding gear/skills... Steve