PDA

View Full Version : Dying veneer?

Dan Bowman
12-10-2009, 8:01 AM
I'd like to dye some veneer using alcohol-based Transtint. The dye bled through some test strips. Should I dye it before gluing with BetterBond or after, or does it make any difference?

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
The dye doesn't affect glue adhesion. You can dye before or after gluing the veneer to the substrate. I generally glue it to the substrate first, so it'll hold still while I sand on it.

Richard M. Wolfe
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't think using a dye would affect glue adhesion. If you glue it to the substrate first, as mentioned it will hold still and you can finish sand it before dyeing. That would assure not sanding through the dye and having to touch up some places with the possible problems involved. Also if there is a surrounding area you don't want dyed there would be no worry with masking it off, bleeding across the contact, etc. If you glue it beforehand and it's really thin and/or permeable veneer there may be a chance the glue would bleed through and affect dyeing, so spread a thin even coat.

Mike Henderson
12-10-2009, 1:42 PM
Usually, the problem is to get the veneer dyed through and through, not glue adhesion. If your dye doesn't fully penetrate, when you're sanding the color will change (and you almost always have to sand after laying). Many people suggest soaking the veneer in the dye for 24 hours or so, then fully dry. And select a veneer that absorbs dye easily. Maple, for example, is tough to dye through and through.

I'm assuming you're trying to get some bold color, like black or red, for a decorative effect. If you're just adding some color to a project, I'd glue first then dye like solid wood. But if you make a mistake, you're limited in how much you can sand off.

Mike