PDA

View Full Version : Here are some Birdhouse Ornaments I just finished...

Doug W Swanson
12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey all,

Here are a couple pictures of some ornaments I just finished. I had only made 2 of these (one for practice and one for a prize at a woodturning xmas party) before my wife decided we should give some out as gifts.

Since I had to make 15 ornaments, I made an assembly line and got to work. I used an assortment of wood (paduak, oak, maple, cherry, bloodwoood, osage orange, red heart, east Indian rosewood and mahogany) and made each one different.

I started off by cutting the wood to size and matching up tops and bottoms. Then I marked and drilled the holes (even my 6 yr old helped with this part). Then I turned all of the tops and finally turned the bottoms to match.

The hardest part was making the perches. I didn't want to use the cheap dowels so I turned my own 1/8" dowels from maple, cherry, rosewood, etc.

I think there are some that turned out better than others but my wife seems to like them all!

I sure hope my relatives will enjoy them!

Enjoy!
Doug

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Doug - those are really nice and will make for some wonderful gifts! They are a lot of fun to do but can become addicting real fast! Nice variety of styles! Thanks for sharing!

Billy Tallant
12-10-2009, 1:23 AM
The ornaments sure look nice. I bet the relatives will really enjoy them.

Jeff Nicol
12-10-2009, 5:35 AM
Nice bunch of ornaments with pretty colors, and the cardinal is always my best seller! I am working on my next batch and need to get them done soon. The big day is coming fast!

Nice wood combos too,

Jeff

charlie knighton
12-10-2009, 9:35 AM
super.....

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2009, 4:21 PM
Nice looking birdhouses. Like Jeff the cardinal sells faster than any others. Don't know why. Of course as long as the wife likes them all else doesn't matter.

Tom Baugues
12-10-2009, 5:01 PM
Doug, these look real good. Can you tell me the approx. dimensions of them? I would like to try some of these. Also...are they hollow or just a hole drilled in them and a perch added.

Tom

Doug W Swanson
12-10-2009, 6:15 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. For some reason I like the look of the cardinal better than the other colors, too. It just looks more like a winter/Christmas bird than blue, yellow, etc.

The overall dimensions are about 5" tall. Here is how I made them:

For the tops I used blocks of wood that were 2" to 2.5" square by about 2.5" tall. I used a 1.25" forstner bit to drill a recess in the top. Then I drilled a hole (I don't remember the diameter) for mounting on my wine stopper mandrel. Then I turned and finished all of the tops.

For the bodies I used blocks of wood that were 1.5' to 2" square by 3" to 4" tall. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole for the opening and a 1/8" for the perch. Then I drilled out the body using a 1" forstner bit. The depth of this hole goes down to just above the perch hole.

When I turned the bodies, I made sure that there was a small lip at the top to help hide the seam when I joined the 2 pieces together. Then I just tried to match the body to the top (or have them be somewhat similar).

I even made a 'nest' out of some maple shavings in each of the houses. I did this by spreading out some glue and then adding a few shavings right before final assembly. My kids loved helping with this part!

Thanks again for the complements!
Doug

Ron Bontz
12-10-2009, 7:26 PM
What ever you do, don't let any blue birds move into that neighborhood. Could get ugly. :D Nice work.

Maylon Harvey
12-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Doug,
Nice houses. I finished a batch of 11 a couple of weeks ago that was an order for my daughter. Then I just finished another 13 yesterday, 6 of which were orders. And now I'm getting ready to do another 10, 2 of which are orders. Your posting is timely as I'll borrow :rolleyes: some of your styles if you don't mind as I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Doug W Swanson
12-11-2009, 8:34 AM
Hi Maylon,

I don't mind at all if you copy any of my bird houses. In fact I'd be honored! You'll have to post some pictures of the finished product.

Doug

Randy Hoch
12-11-2009, 8:45 AM
These are great. Where is the best place to get the little birds?

Randy

Doug W Swanson
12-11-2009, 8:49 AM
These are great. Where is the best place to get the little birds?

Randy

I got mine from Craft Supplies:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Christmas_Ornaments___Miniature_Birds__ _mini_birds?Args=

I used the large cardinals for my houses. I have not seen the size of the small ones so I'm not sure how much smaller they are.

Doug

Dolan Brown
12-11-2009, 9:28 PM
Doug,

Are your cardinals the miniature or the large ones that Craft Supply sells?

BTW really nice bird houses, I have made a few recently and they are fun and I even sold a few.

Doug W Swanson
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Doug,

Are your cardinals the miniature or the large ones that Craft Supply sells?

BTW really nice bird houses, I have made a few recently and they are fun and I even sold a few.

These are the large birds. These are the only ones I have seen to I don't know how they compare to the small ones.

My wife keeps asking me if I can make a business out of wood turning. I'm not sure if I could make millions but I bet I could make a little for the rainy day fund! Every thing I have made so far I have either given as gifts or kept for us. I may have to try going to a craft show one of these day!

Doug