PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw purchase vacillating

Dean Karavite
12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I realize we need another bandsaw thread like a hole in the head, but this is really hard. I thought I was set for a while with an old 12" Walker Turner, but it has serious structural issues now and I am not interested (or skilled) in metal work. Time to move on.

Depending on the time of day my next saw will be a Laguna, a PowerMatic or a grizzly G0457 or wait, maybe a G0555X. I can make rational arguments for any of them. Just like I did when I bought other tools and ended up regretting going for less (table saw, sanders...) or realized I went too far for my needs (Festool MFT/3 and TS 75). On the plus side, with that old saw I have learned quite a lot about tuning a BS and I am certain I could get any new saw humming.

I am just a home hobby person and if you were to walk into my house with a G0555X, I bet it would serve me a long time. But then, I start to doubt. If I get into resawing, will it be enough? If the cut just takes longer, no big deal, but am I really losing a whole level of capability? For example, I would like to try the Morris Chair project. Can I make the laminations for the arms in QS white oak with that saw (with a riser block). I would think I could.

However, for a more beefy saw I have a few problems. My basement ceilings are low - 75" tops and there are pipes here and there that are lower (GO457 is 74" without the mobile base). This rules out almost every 16" saw there is. Also, access is through the outside in one of those little half hatches-doorway. A 400lb Laguna making that trip would be a real adventure no matter how many true friends I had to help me. I am not wired for 220 and if I get the electrician out, I should probably upgrade to 200 amps and that adds a nice chunk of $.

So help me out here. I'm thinking that taking a little drive for a few hours and picking up the G0555X in person is a good move. Am I wrong?

Caleb Larru
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I realize we need another bandsaw thread like a hole in the head, but this is really hard. I thought I was set for a while with an old 12" Walker Turner, but it has serious structural issues now and I am not interested (or skilled) in metal work. Time to move on.

Depending on the time of day my next saw will be a Laguna, a PowerMatic or a grizzly G0457 or wait, maybe a G0555X. I can make rational arguments for any of them. Just like I did when I bought other tools and ended up regretting going for less (table saw, sanders...) or realized I went too far for my needs (Festool MFT/3 and TS 75). On the plus side, with that old saw I have learned quite a lot about tuning a BS and I am certain I could get any new saw humming.

I am just a home hobby person and if you were to walk into my house with a G0555X, I bet it would serve me a long time. But then, I start to doubt. If I get into resawing, will it be enough? If the cut just takes longer, no big deal, but am I really losing a whole level of capability? For example, I would like to try the Morris Chair project. Can I make the laminations for the arms in QS white oak with that saw (with a riser block). I would think I could.

However, for a more beefy saw I have a few problems. My basement ceilings are low - 75" tops and there are pipes here and there that are lower (GO457 is 74" without the mobile base). This rules out almost every 16" saw there is. Also, access is through the outside in one of those little half hatches-doorway. A 400lb Laguna making that trip would be a real adventure no matter how many true friends I had to help me. I am not wired for 220 and if I get the electrician out, I should probably upgrade to 200 amps and that adds a nice chunk of $.

So help me out here. I'm thinking that taking a little drive for a few hours and picking up the G0555X in person is a good move. Am I wrong?

I have the G0555X with a riser block. I haven't done very much resawing yet but what I have it has cut through 10" red oak with ease. I have been very impressed with mine so far. I would buy it again, even if I didn't get it on sale with free delivery.

Dean Karavite
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Caleb. Can I ask what sale price you ended up with? Maybe I don't want to know! :)

Caleb Larru
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks Caleb. Can I ask what sale price you ended up with? Maybe I don't want to know! :)

I got it for $575 and free shipping. I went to the Springfield showroom to take a look at them and was going to pick it up and would have had to pay tax but it started raining and I only had my truck so they offered me free shipping without tax so I took that.

I have yet to visit the showroom without spending at least $500. I love that place.

Chuck Isaacson
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I have yet to visit the showroom without spending at least $500. I love that place.

Caleb, I know what you mean. Last time I was there I spent well over a grand. OUCH!!!

Dean, I have the G0555, not the X, the main difference is mine is minus 1/2 HP. I have just recently started playing around with resawing and I have had no problems yet. I hove only done about a 6" board, until I get the riser block. It has so far performed flawlessly. I think that it would be a good investment. Good luck with your decision.

Chuck

Josiah Bartlett
12-10-2009, 3:15 AM
I love my 16" saw, I'd never be happy with anything smaller. I understand the low ceiling problem. If you can find an old Walker-Turner or other C-frame 16" saw, just remove it from the base (if it has one) and build a new base. It will fit just fine. The 16" Walker Turner saw is fantastic and also not overly tall while still allowing a 12" resaw. The only difficult thing is that it weighs about 500 pounds. That's good for smoothness, bad for moving it around. Mine passes the nickel test from a dead stop!

If I had to pick a new saw I'd get the 17" or 19" Grizzly.

Pretty much all my bandsaw work is resaw and making turning blanks. I work out of a 20x20 space that I share with my classic car so I understand space being a premium.

Cameron Reddy
12-10-2009, 9:52 AM
... or realized I went too far for my needs (Festool MFT/3 and TS 75). ...

Am I wrong?

No. Just ill. Dial 911 immediately! :):):):)

Myk Rian
12-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Do you really need the mobile base. I've found that my BS just sits where I put it. No real need to move it. All the base does for me is add a bit of rocking because of movement in it.

Caleb Larru
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Do you really need the mobile base. I've found that my BS just sits where I put it. No real need to move it. All the base does for me is add a bit of rocking because of movement in it.

I move my bandsaw around all the time. I couldn't live without a mobile base.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Myk, I'm with Caleb. I have two bandsaws, a little 14" Delta on a mobile base, and a 36" Oliver. The Delta is never used in the same spot twice it seems. It's really nice to bring it to the work, or even just pivot it a few inches to maximize my meager shop space. The Oliver of course stays put.

Dean Karavite
12-10-2009, 2:50 PM
Josiah, I appreciate your advice, and it helped me come to this conclusion. I'm sticking with the 14" for now. You see, I intend to use the saw primarily for curves and other quick cuts. In my case, for what I am doing, resawing is secondary. The G0555X seems like such a good deal it will not need to be replaced, but one day be complimented by a bigger more powerful saw dedicated to resawing if/when I need it, can fit one and have 220.

However, when I reach that point you can bet I will look for an old WT 16. In fact, I look all the time and have yet to see one offered. My little 12" WT has been fantastic and it could run neck and neck with any of the new 14's, but it has a near fatal flaw - the tilt adjuster is messed up and unreliable (see this post (http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=51435) for a guy with crazy metal working skills who fixed the same problem on the same saw).

Prashun Patel
12-10-2009, 3:21 PM
Dean-

If you can swing it, get the riser blocks, then. I have a G0555. The 1st time you go to slice something thicker than 6", you'll be thankful. It's emotionally harder to invest in the blocks later because you'll have to upgrade your blades to the larger size, and you'll say "I'll just hold out for a 17"". While you're doing that, you'll be figuring out all kinds of machinations to rip that 7" block into 2 sections, resaw them, and then glue them back together. Then when the glue line doesn't align, you'll kick yrself for not having gone bigger at the get go.

Um, DAMHIKT....

Greg Wittler
12-10-2009, 3:43 PM
You Could use a Hoverpad Mobile Base , it will only take up 1" of space under your BS.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/The+Hoverpad.aspx (http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/The+Hoverpad.aspx)

don't know anything about them just saw an ad or acticle on them in a WW Mag.

Jeff Willard
12-10-2009, 5:21 PM
You already know where I stand on this one.

FWIW, the Grizz is prolly just as tall, if not slightly taller than the Laguna.

Stephen Edwards
12-10-2009, 5:46 PM
I just went to the shop and measured my G0555X with riser block for you. It's 76 1/2" from floor to top of tension handle. The saw sits on a shop built mobile base. The bottom of the saw cabinet is 2 1/2" off the floor.

Other than the height problem, I think you'd be pleased with the saw for both curved work and resawing. I've re-sawn 10 and 12 inch hardwood with no problems. If you were buying this saw primarily for resawing to be used 3-4 hours per day for that task, I'd suggest something larger. I haven't regretted my purchase at all and I do a fair amount of resawing on it.

I wonder if Grizzy would sell you the saw without the cabinet ? If so, you could build your own cabinet to fit your space and still have a fine saw that would serve you well.

Recently, I picked up a second BS, a G0555 without riser block for curved work; got a once in a lifetime deal on CL on this saw. Out of curiosity I checked the price for the cabinet that comes with the G0555X, thinking I'd like to have this second BS on that cabinet, too. The list price on the cabinet alone was nearly 500 bucks IIRC. I realize parts are more expensive than a machine but I was shocked at the price of that cabinet alone, though it is a very nice, well built cabinet. If they'd sell you the G0555X minus the cabinet for $150-200 discount, that would be worth considering in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.