PDA

View Full Version : Finial on a Form, Finally (FFF!)

Mike Minto
12-09-2009, 7:27 PM
:rolleyes: Don't know the type of wood the body is made of, but the finial is ebonized cherry. It's about 9" tall and 4" around. Wipe-on poly finish, a few coats. I like the defects in the wood, hope you do, too.

John Keeton
12-09-2009, 8:09 PM
Looks a lot like ash to me. Very interesting combination though, and nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2009, 8:16 PM
Nice work Mike. Kinda looks like ash to me also.

David E Keller
12-09-2009, 8:21 PM
I really like the hollow form. It's an interesting shape that I happen to like. The finish looks nice too. The finial is a little bit large for me... It just seems to dominate the piece a bit. Thanks for posting.

Mike Minto
12-09-2009, 8:27 PM
It could be ash - I'd have to say the smell of the wood was not unlike ash. Regarding the finial, I'm with you - a little large. I think this is all part of the progression and gaining of technique and skill in turning - my earlier forms, as with most other new turners whose work I've seen, usually starts out simple, blocky, thick...and in time, gets more refined, elegant. Hopefully this aspect of my work will, too.

Bill Bolen
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Love the form and finish on this Mike. You sure seem to be well on your way to mastering HF's. Finials,,,,,,,purly a personal taste thing. I've made about 100 of them and not one is what I had hoped for. Maby 1 in the next 100 will be a fit for me...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Another vote for Ash.

Congrats on turning your first finial! I still consider finials to be my biggest challenge and can offer no words of wisdom other than to keep doing what you are doing!

Looking forward to the next one!