PDA

View Full Version : Am I really THAT bad of a person?

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2009, 6:05 PM
I had a backache this morning and thought I'd stop by CVS to get something for it. It's not like CVS is on the cutting edge of being a low price leader, but I didn't have the time to drive to wally world and CVS is a block away. No big deal, pay the extra. They ring it up, and before I can slide my debit card in, the screen is asking me if I will donate $1 to something. I didn't even look, I just said yes and moved on.

Am I a bad person because I HATE when people do that stuff. There's a place I swing through the drive thru on almost a daily basis to get a drink. Just over a buck. Several times a year, they change the recording to say "Welcome to blah blah blah would you like to donate $1 to the Special Olympics today?".

What are you supposed to say? No? I'm a miserable, greedy person that wouldn't like to help kids with special needs? Look, I'm just spending $1.05. Now my $1.05 drink costs me $2.05. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm all fine with giving. I do give, and I'm happy to do so, but when I roll up here tomorrow morning and you ask me for another $1, fine.....then I come back and eat lunch here. You get me again. Next thing you know, you've GUILTED me into donating $20 to your cause.

Torques me off.

As I said, I'm more than happy to give, but the way they are setting these systems up now, it's not a passive campaign, it's making you feel guilty or look like a miserable person if you don't give.

Anyone else have the same thing happen? Or am I really just that bad of a person? :) (wait.....don't answer that)

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-09-2009, 6:07 PM
nope. Just say "not today", or "I've already given" (if you have). no harm, no foul.

Mitchell Andrus
12-09-2009, 6:11 PM
Nope. Saying 'no' once in a while is OK. I do when I don't know where the money's going, the charity's overhead, etc.

The pink ribbon is an exception. I don't mind this one at the register.

I give at church and locally such as Cub Scouts, H.S. programs, local homeless, etc.

Chris S Anderson
12-09-2009, 6:21 PM
I'm a teacher and I get asked for money for something every day at work. Parents selling candy for band or college funds or toy drives or something. I made a choice 5 or 6 years ago to never give money while at work. I make a simple joke of it and say "I'm here to make money, not to give it. I might as well stay home if I am going to do that." But, it is only half joking. I think all donations should be anonymous, and if the asker cannot find a way to make giving anonymous, then don't do it.
Put a flyer in my mailbox or put a poster in the hallway. If it is something I want to give to, I will find you.
Once, a security guard at the school was selling raffle tickets for her family reunion. I found out later that she didn't have a reunion, and was scamming. Another security guard asked 30 or more teachers to borrow 20.00 to buy some medication he had to have but was short today. He must have collected 400.00 or more, and we found out later in the week that it was his last day.
I also found out that the United Negro College Fund, which is the predominant fund I get asked to donate to, only gives a small percentage of the collected money towards college for the students they are representing.
I'd rather just give a blanket and a sandwich to someone who is cold and hungry.

John Coloccia
12-09-2009, 6:26 PM
I don't feel guilty one tiny little bit. I give what I give....how much I want and to who I want. I learned early on to thoroughly research any organization I donate to. I was absolutely appalled when I learned where some of my money was going. Except for one organization, that I usually empty my pockets to any time I see them ringing their bell, I won't donate a dime to anyone, anywhere unless I know exactly where that money's going. Fool me once...well, you get the drift.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2009, 6:39 PM
I agree with John! Seems everyone has perfected their method of guilting you into donating to their cause. I may come across as cold-hearted to some but I will not donate unless I know what the money is going to be used for. The only organization that I consistently donate to without any hesitation is the Salvation Army. That organization came through for my family once - when no one else was there - and I will never forget and will always contribute as I know they are truly there to help.

Bill Arnold
12-09-2009, 6:46 PM
It's simple. Just say, "No".

We give to worthy causes and work when called on to help. We have no issue clicking or saying "No".

Of course, now I have a different line I use on the telemarketers who always wait until Holiday time to call. I simply tell them I'm on Social Security and now the government is talking about taking away some of my Medicare benefits! It works! ;)

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2009, 6:49 PM
The pink ribbon is an exception. I don't mind this one at the register.

Ahhhh...that was one of them about 3 months ago. It was worded like this through the recorded message in the drive thru :

"Would you like to donate $1 to help fight breast cancer?".

GUILT GUILT GUILT! Shame on them.

"Ummmm, no, I'd like to see more people get cancer?" would be the opposing view? What a stupid question. I doubt there is a person on the planet that wouldn't like to fight cancer until it's all gone. By the way they word it, they make you feel guilty.

Mike Henderson
12-09-2009, 6:51 PM
Most of the time, I just say "No". And I resent being solicited in a business like that - I went there to buy something, not to get solicited.

And if too many people give, they'll always be some solicitation whenever you go there. If you want it to stop, say "No".

Mike

Joel Goodman
12-09-2009, 7:40 PM
I'm with Mike -- just say no. And when you want to donate to a charity don't respond to the direct mail solicitation that comes with your junk mail or to a phone solicitation -- these are run by for profit fundraising companies who take a large commission off the top. Contact the charity yourself and find out how to cut out the middle man.

jerry nazard
12-09-2009, 7:46 PM
Most of the time, I just say "No". And I resent being solicited in a business like that - I went there to buy something, not to get solicited.

And if too many people give, they'll always be some solicitation whenever you go there. If you want it to stop, say "No".

Mike

I believe that Mike is loquaciously stating my opinion, also.... :D

Matt Meiser
12-09-2009, 7:50 PM
My policy is virtually never because who knows where that money is really going and how much is actually going to the charity. And any charity that calls me at home unsolicited--never again--just like any business that calls me. The one exception is the Red Cross calling to set up a blood donation appointment if they haven't heard from me.

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2009, 7:56 PM
I never donate to charities that spend less than 75% on actual charitable work.

I have to admit that this keeps the list of acceptable charities low, however being treasurer of a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.

Chris Kennedy
12-09-2009, 8:20 PM
There are certain organizations that I will donate money to. The Salvation Army tops that list. I associate their bell ringers with Christmas, and honestly, I think the bell ringers are the epitome of the Christmas spirit.

I don't mind being asked for money, but as a consequence, I don't feel guilty about saying no. And when they ask "Do I want to give a dollar to support such and such," that doesn't bother me. It is when I politely decline and the solicitor keeps it up and implies that I am (a) in favor of cancer or (b) ungrateful for what they do or (c) I am simply a bad person -- then I get annoyed. I give what and when I can.

Cheers,

Chris

Dave Anderson NH
12-09-2009, 8:52 PM
I have a list of causes and organizations to which I donate. I absolutely refuse to donate to any telemarketer of any type since most are pro fund raisers and the charity gets only a small percentage of the amount collected. Many others are just outright scams with a thin veneer of legality covering them. I politely state that I don't respond to telemarketing requests and then hang up. I will give to the Salvation Army wherever they set up since they are one of the most effective charitable users of funds that exist, but other solicitations at cash registers, outside the doors of retail stores, and other venues get nothing. I don't have the time to vet them instantaneously on the spot and many are for causes which I don't want to support. I do not feel the slightest bit guilty when I say no. I have after all, the right of choice.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2009, 9:01 PM
The LOML and I donate to a lot of organizations. I politely tell telemarketers that if they want to mail me some information I'll consider it but otherwise, I don't donate or make commitments over the phone.

It downright burns me up when I am in a line at a store and they ask me if I'd like to donate. I came there to buy something. I didn't get in line to be solicited for donations. If they want to do that, set up a special line and put sign up for it. Burns me up!

Tim Morton
12-09-2009, 9:10 PM
I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car. its my way of not supporting the store that would permit that to happen. i give away enough of my money to the government.

So sleep well knowing you are not the worst person out there.:cool:

Dan Friedrichs
12-09-2009, 9:35 PM
I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car.

I have better reasons than that for not going to Wal-Mart :) But, I agree... Allowing that particular charity to solicit fairly overtly defines their stance on social/political issues that many of their customers don't agree with...

One of our grocery stores will give you a credit for bringing in a reusable grocery bag, OR they'll donate the $0.15 credit to a local school. Everytime you bring in a bag, the cashier asks you if you want to keep the 15 cents or donate it. I feel bad asking to keep the few cents, but if I don't, I'm "paying" for the bags I didn't use!

Brian Effinger
12-09-2009, 9:40 PM
I have better reasons than that for not going to Wal-Mart :)
Wow, I was thinking the same thing! ;)

I just tell solicitors either "no" or "I've already donated", which is usually the truth.

Harry Hagan
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
What about that organization that has persuaded thousands of employers to “put the squeeze on” employees to donate to their charity. You know who I’m talking about. My first exposure to this despicable practice was during part-time employment at a local supermarket during high school. Employees were called into the office one-by-one to sit in front of the owners. The question wasn’t, will you give or how much, but rather how you will pay the amount they had predetermined. The options were: a lump-sum payment or pay-check deductions.

They got the same answer that anyone posing that question to me has received since: I decided if, when, how much, and to whom my disposable income will be made available, not you.

I then suggest that they follow my example and donate their time and services to a worthy organization or charity. It’s far more rewarding than monthly deductions from your paycheck. Uncle Sam already does that!

Aaron Berk
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Excellent timing too. Shouldn't the organizations work for donations all yr, not just around Christmas? Every one PUSHES harder around the holidays for donations, don't they truly care about their cause enough to do it ALL yr with the same earnest?

And some of you guys hit a valuable point, we go to place's of business to do a specific business, not be solicited. I feel the urge to start a boycott.

Mark me down as a bad person too.:rolleyes:

I do have a soft spot for bell ringers though:)

John Coloccia
12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Big difference between allowing a solicitation outside a store and asking you at the cash register. You can simply walk by someone outside the store...no one is forcing an interaction. When they ask at the register, it's intrusive and frankly it's quite inappropriate. That sort of nonsense really doesn't belong in the middle of a business transaction.

There's a group of folks that doesn't mind them asking at the register, and there's also a group that wants to see absolutely nothing with any religious or even slightly contentious content. I think the vast majority of folks are in between, i.e. setup where you want because I'm a grownup and can choose to participate if I wish, but when it's time for business, let me conduct my business in peace.

This seems so basic that it's a wonder so many companies screw it up.

re: boycotts
Interestingly enough, I go out of my way to boycott stores that don't allow charitable organizations to solicit. I also get irritated when a store employee (or anyone, really) wishes me a happy holidays. I don't celebrate holidays, I celebrate Christmas. If you celebrate Chanukah or Kwanzaa, then great, wish me a happy Chanukah. It just seems like we've forgotten how to behave with basic manners, and also have to be shielded from the slightest hint of any idea we happen to not agree with. How sterile and uninteresting.

Dave Lehnert
12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
What get me is the schools sending out kids to push a bunch of junk you can buy at the dollar store. "Sir would you like to buy a box of pencils for $25 that can be had at any store for $1.99?"

You think it's bad places asking you for donations. You should manage a store. The phone rings all day long for donations. One month we were asked for a total of $24,000 worth of donations .

Leigh Costello
12-10-2009, 1:15 AM
I once had a clerk tell me everyone in front of me donated so why don't I? I politely asked if she had and her response was she worked hard for her money. I said so do I and when she gave me my total for my purchases, I said I worked far too hard for my money to spend it at that store and left. Haven't been back.

Mike Henderson
12-10-2009, 1:34 AM
re: boycotts
Interestingly enough, I go out of my way to boycott stores that don't allow charitable organizations to solicit. I also get irritated when a store employee (or anyone, really) wishes me a happy holidays. I don't celebrate holidays, I celebrate Christmas. If you celebrate Chanukah or Kwanzaa, then great, wish me a happy Chanukah. It just seems like we've forgotten how to behave with basic manners, and also have to be shielded from the slightest hint of any idea we happen to not agree with. How sterile and uninteresting.
I guess my philosophy is a bit different. If I celebrate Christmas, for example, then I celebrate it as I wish. But I don't push it on everyone else. If I don't know what another person celebrates, I wish them "Happy Holidays". But if I know they're Jewish, for example, I wish them "Happy Hanukkah". That is, I focus my greeting on them, rather than on me.

Mike

[And incidently, Hanukkah is early this year, starting at sundown on December 11. So to everyone who celebrates, "Happy Hanukkah!"]

Rick Potter
12-10-2009, 2:14 AM
My philosophy is a bit different too. You do realize that all that money you put in the jar at your local 7-11, or borg is donated under the name of the company. When you see a telethon and they announce that a million bucks was just donated by a retailer, that means the retailer gets the credit for being generous, AND gets to write it off, even though it may have been entirely donated by customers. These companies never get a dime donation from me.

Some companies donate their own money, or match customers donations, and I give them credit for it. Kraft Foods, for example, is a very generous company, and I buy their products because of it.

I will always support Salvation Army, but usually with a check that I get to deduct, but I still give to the buckets.

Like most, I have my list of preferred charities, and some I avoid because of their practices.

Rick Potter

Gene Howe
12-10-2009, 6:24 AM
During the aftermath of the sunami that hit Seward AK, a bunch of us Air Force grunts from Elmendorf went to help clean up. The Salvation Army was there giving the volunteers coffee and sandwiches. The other "helping" org. was selling the same thing.
Since then, I have never donated to that other organization and always stuff a wad of bills in the bell ringer's pot.
And, like other's have said, I got really pissed when my time was wasted by having to listen to the spiel from the United Fund. Got suckered once.:mad: Never again.

Bonnie Campbell
12-10-2009, 7:39 AM
I'm with Rick on this one. I'm NOT donating to a store so they can take credit for how generous they are. I'll donate as I see fit and to who I want to benefit.

I always empty my pockets for the bell ringers. I've SEEN the work they do, other charities are, as far as I'm concerned, questionable. Oh, and I do my share with food donations throughout the year. People aren't hungry just at Christmas.....

Bill Arnold
12-10-2009, 8:28 AM
... I do have a soft spot for bell ringers though:)

I have something for them also, but not necessarily a "soft spot". Some of them ring the bell so emphatically that I can hardly wait to get past them. It hurts my ears!!! :eek:

Jason Roehl
12-10-2009, 9:04 AM
My worst experience was in a WalMart. My wife and I's personal checks have certain symbols on them that identify us with a particular group. Most people don't pay any attention or comment. So I'm checking out and the cashier asks me if I want to donate $1 to the cause du jour. When I politely said, "No thanks," she responded (loudly announcing it and not looking at me) with, "I thought (insert my group name here) weren't like that."

I wasn't prepared for that kind of response, so I didn't say anything, but I sure feel sorry for the next person who tries to pull something like that now.

As for the random solicitations for a buck here or there, my response now is that my giving has already been budgeted for other things.

Rob Young
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

I have to admit that this keeps the list of acceptable charities low, however being treasurer of a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.

+1 (except I'm not a treasurer). It is really quite shocking to see some of the administrative overhead costs associated with charities.

I don't do the nickel and dime donation thing. I pick one or two charities to give cash, get my recepit so I can deduct on my taxes.

The other two things I've started doing is to pick up several of the wish-lists from "giving trees" and go buy those toys to give to the charity to use at Christmas. My family is a PIA to shop for (and if they really want something, they will just go get it for themselves anyway) so now most of them get a card that says their gift was "baby dolls and a basketball" donated in their name to XYZ.

The second thing is to deliver canned goods DIRECTLY to the food pantry instead of leaving the bag on the stoop. I know the little card says the Boy Scouts or the mail carriers are running the drive but I didn't SEE who left the card. I can print up little cards with logo's taken from web sites and get a bunch of free food too...

Al Willits
12-10-2009, 10:15 AM
We get the united fund thing at work and they really push it, I just dump the literature (and pledge form) in the trash before I even leave the conference room we have the drives in.

Like someone once said, "Just say No" and that's what I do.

If asked, I'll reply I give to Vets organizations and the NRA.

Al....who thinks dollars going to the PVA is right at the top of worth while causes.

Art Mulder
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
They ring it up, and before I can slide my debit card in, the screen is asking me if I will donate $1 to something. I didn't even look, I just said yes and moved on.

Am I a bad person because I HATE when people do that stuff.

No you're not a bad person, but I highly suspect that "I just said yes and moved on" is exactly why they do it.

I just say "no thanks", and move on. ;)

Regards, Rod.

+1 to Rod for one of the best comments to this thread.

I give plenty to charity -- but charities that I choose, and have checked out.

I give almost nothing to people to come to the door. The sole exception there is the neighbours kids who doing "jump rope for stroke" or some such. And in that case it's more about supporting the neighbour's kids than the charity!

Carlos Alden
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Scott:

Don't contribute if you don't want to, and quit feeling guilty. Remind yourself of the contributions you DO make on a regular basis - Church, United Way, etc. - and be done with it.

I hate these things too. I was fortunate to attend college in New York City in the rough and rowdy middle 1970's and developed some VERY good refusal skills. I can say "NO" at the drop of a hat. I love putting up a brick wall in front of those phone guys soliciting money for firemen. I'm perfectly happy to look right past panhandlers. (The only thing that catches me are the Jehovah's Witness or the Mormon door-to-door folks. I love to engage in discussion!)

I'm not mean or stingy, and I'm sure you're not either. But to give out of guilt is not something I do. I'm very intentional (and generous) with what causes I support and why.

So tell 'em nope, not today, gave at the office, out of change, sorry but I have to check with the wife - whatever works for you. And remind yourself of the giving that you have already done.

Carlos

Jason Strauss
12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
What really gets my shorts in a bunch is all the organizations who have now taken to soliciting donations whilst standing in traffic at busy intersections. I don’t know about you all, but this seems to have gotten really popular in my area over the last couple of years. The FOP, firemen, little league, Pop Warner, cheerleaders, local marching band, all manner and denomination of religious groups, youth organizations, and on, and on, and on. Not only is this dangerous, but is far too pushy in my book.

And speaking of dangerous… on the way to Menards one day this summer, I was fortunate enough to drive by a group of professional exotic dancers collecting money for charity at an intersection near my house. They may have been operating a carwash or something, but I wasn’t paying attention to their signs.:D I kid you not, traffic was all snarled up! These girls were wearing next to nothing! On my way back home from the store, I even witness one guy rear end another as he rubber necked. Priceless!

I rarely give money to any charity, much less those who stand in the middle of the street. I prefer to give of my time and skills - Habitat for Humanity and another local outfit that does handyman work for the elderly and disadvantaged. I get to meet exactly who I’m helping and see the results of my donation.

Kent A Bathurst
12-11-2009, 1:36 PM
.......a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.

Rod - and you have a right to be proud. Well done.

Patrick Doody
12-11-2009, 1:40 PM
I've resorted to putting a "No Solicitors" sign on my front door, it's amazing how many people either don't understand what that means or don't care.

I prefer to donate my time/effort, I do a few charity bike rides a year one for the National MS society and one for the American Diabetes Association. These events have been great for me, you get to meet the people that you're trying to help, and you get to live outside of your world for a few days. (everybody at work knows that I do these events but i never ask co-workers to donate)I love the idea about Habitat for Humanity, I'm going to look into that.

People that show up at my door, call me on the phone, or get you at the register just piss me off.

A great way to help someone out and let the money help several people out: Kiva.org One of my friends gave $25 gift cards out to Kiva a few years ago(for christmas), it's a micro loan program for people mainly in 3rd world nations. they ask for a small loan, tell you what they need it for, and you pick who you give money to, it takes a while for them to pay it back but when they do you can loan the money to someone else. I love the concept. I'm on my 3rd micro loan, if it didn't get paid back i'd put some more money back into my account because it's just a great way to help someone help themselves.

Anthony Anderson
12-11-2009, 2:15 PM

Regards, Rod.

My requirements are 5% for administrative costs. Maybe a little more if I know the charity.

Matt M. hit it right on the nose. If they don't state the administrative fees, I don't donate/give.

There was an adv. on TV a couple of days ago, asking for donations to help animals. They showed the abused animals, pulled on your heart strings, even modeled the adv. after the one the SPCA has been putting on TV lately with Sarah McLaughlin (sp?). It was clearly a scam, and no mention whatsoever of where the charity is located, or what their administrative costs are.

But I have never heard of these drive thru solicitations. And will never give to them.

I consider these to be worthwhile, and from my experience honest charities:

St. Jude's
Red Cross
National Cancer Society
Local Hospital Foundations
PBS TV and Radio
Arts

Anthony Anderson
12-11-2009, 2:23 PM
I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car. its my way of not supporting the store that would permit that to happen. i give away enough of my money to the government.

So sleep well knowing you are not the worst person out there.:cool:

I am the opposite Tim. I avoid the places that don't allow the Salvation Army bell ringers, at least during the season.

One thing I didn't know, recently the Salvation Army began hiring people to be bell ringer, because there weren't enough people volunteering.

But I do drop a few dollars into each red kettle when I see one.

Rick Potter
12-14-2009, 2:53 AM
Hey, Gene Howe,

I am amazed at your post about Salvation Army giving out stuff VS the 'other well known organization' selling it to needy people.

I wanted to say the same thing, but held back, trying to be PC, but since you mention it........

I am a retired Los Angeles County fireman. Way back in the 60's and 70's we would be working brush fires way off the beaten path, on fire roads in the mountains or dirt roads in the flatlands, and the Salvation Army volunteers would drive their own cars into areas they shouldn't be in, bringing us sandwitches, drinks, etc. They would pull up, open the trunk and say help yourself, then go on to the next group of fire equipment.

The 'other' organization would set up a nice trailer in the base camp, where the people not working the fire were, and SELL stuff.

I will ALWAYS support Salvation Army generously.

Rick Potter

PS: Salvation Army doesn't do that any more, as things are a lot tighter now, about who can get near a fire. Times change.

Belinda Barfield
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
When wildfires devastated south Georgia several years ago I had the opportunity to work side by side with the Salvation Army. Since then the SA is my second charity of choice. My first is a local man, I'm not sure if he is homeless, or not. I passed him day after day at an off ramp intersection and felt guilty for not giving. It seems there is someone on nearly every street corner these days and I'm not sure who is truly in need and who is running a scam. This one particular old fellow just got to me. I approached the intersection one day and it was pouring rain. There stood that fellow and I thought, "Who stands in the pouring rain to ask for money unless they really need it?". The next day I stopped and gave him some money. I went on my way and had lunch. As I was leaving the fast food place I saw this fellow walking back toward the woods carrying a grocery bag and bag of ice. Now when I pass him at the intersection I give him whatever I can, and I've seen him on many occasions headed home with his "groceries" after lunch. I'm trusting that the money I, and other people, give to him is going to a good cause. Other than these two charities, I just say no.

Dan Lee
12-14-2009, 5:13 PM
For 25 years I have had money deducted from every paycheck into a company administered charity disbursement fund. Never feel guilty or otherwise turning down door solicitors etc
Actually there is one solicitor I never turn down and that is when LOML is gearing up for her yearly breast cancer 3 day walk that she has been doing for 7 or 8 years:D

Dick Strauss
12-14-2009, 6:49 PM
It is really sad how little some non-profit organizations get to keep! The local Girl Scout troops get to keep $0.45-$0.50 per box for most of the cookies according to what I've been told by a family member that was a troop leader for years. The Boy/Cub Scouts don't do much better with their yearly popcorn sales. I usually just donate $10 to the local troop so that it stays and benefits local people rather than some fancy national office or the bakery/producer of the product.

Anthony Anderson
12-14-2009, 7:26 PM
When wildfires devastated south Georgia several years ago I had the opportunity to work side by side with the Salvation Army. Since then the SA is my second charity of choice. My first is a local man, I'm not sure if he is homeless, or not. I passed him day after day at an off ramp intersection and felt guilty for not giving. It seems there is someone on nearly every street corner these days and I'm not sure who is truly in need and who is running a scam. This one particular old fellow just got to me. I approached the intersection one day and it was pouring rain. There stood that fellow and I thought, "Who stands in the pouring rain to ask for money unless they really need it?". The next day I stopped and gave him some money. I went on my way and had lunch. As I was leaving the fast food place I saw this fellow walking back toward the woods carrying a grocery bag and bag of ice. Now when I pass him at the intersection I give him whatever I can, and I've seen him on many occasions headed home with his "groceries" after lunch. I'm trusting that the money I, and other people, give to him is going to a good cause. Other than these two charities, I just say no.

Belinda, They did an expose on homeless people where I live, the people who are standing wanting money. There were some shocking discoveries. One man was a convicted sex offender. Another was telling people he was homeless, so the news agency followed him to his house:eek:. They asked another what he was going to do with the money that was give to him that day, and he responded that he was going to get some cigarettes and beer:rolleyes:.

It wasn't long afterward, that the donations dried up, and the "homeless" people wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Not saying the same is true with your guy, but it makes one think.

Bill

Brian J. Williams
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Scott-

It's kind of like getting shot at- after a while, you get a little numb.

We get several calls every evening from some group collecting for something; both the Democrats and Republicans, phony police and military organizations, even folks who are supposedly collecting for the Cancer Society (not the American Cancer Society, but some other outfit trying to clone their collections). It's gotten to the point that some of these folks start arguing with you when you tell them "no". Like the jerk who was lecturing me about giving to this phony cancer research outfit, and I tell him that my wife is on her 6th chemo (for her Stage IV breast cancer, trying to buy some more time), and he says 'what's that?" If there was a "kill" button on the phone, I would have pushed it right then and there.

The point is, there are a lot of folks out there who will try anything for a buck.

Do you want a worthy cause? Try your local Rescue Mission. Give a sandwich and a sleeping bag to someone who's really living on the street. Contribute to your local food bank. There are plenty of folks out there in real need, and most of them don't have some fancy outfit fronting for them.
Thus endeth my rant.

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2009, 8:32 AM
That reminds me, many years ago, I got a call from the State Police, trying to sell me Jelly and Jam (go figure), and they worded it like this "Can the State Police count on your support?". I said "I'm not interested, thank you".

They said "So the State Police CAN'T count on your support?".

I said "I do support my State Police".

They said "Great, so I'll put you down for one package".

I said "I said I support the State Police, but I'm not buying anything today, sorry".

Then they proceeded to tell me that since I wouldn't support the State Police, what if the State Police didn't support me, and then went off on me.

I finally had to hang up the phone.

Bill Arnold
12-15-2009, 8:49 AM
... I finally had to hang up the phone.

Why pick it up in the first place? We screen ALL calls. If we don't recognize the listing on Caller ID, we let the call go to the machine. Being on the "Do Not Call" list has helped a lot but that doesn't keep the charities and politicians from calling.

There's also the occasional credit card counseling outfit that makes it past the filtering - they don't seem to care about the No Call list. If I happen to pick up a call like that, I put the ball in their court and remind them that they called me:
"Tell me what you think you can do for me."

"Yes, Sir. First I need to get some information from you."

"You must already have all the information you need since your call insists that you can reduce the interest we pay on our credit card accounts."

"Sir, I just need a little more information to see what we can do."

"OK, you said you can reduce the amount of interest we pay on our accounts. We haven't paid any interest in 20 years. How much money are you going to send me."

Click - buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2009, 9:27 AM
Why pick it up in the first place? We screen ALL calls. If we don't recognize the listing on Caller ID, we let the call go to the machine.

That call was prior to caller ID being widespread. It was years ago.

Bonnie Campbell
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
That reminds me, many years ago, I got a call from the State Police, trying to sell me Jelly and Jam (go figure), and they worded it like this "Can the State Police count on your support?". I said "I'm not interested, thank you"....

This group is nothing but terrorists. We'd gotten a call soliciting funds for the "MS State Troopers". Told them we didn't donate over the phone, if they'd care to send information we'd THEN decide. Fine and dandy. Until they turned over a bill we 'owed' for them sending information. They used all types of threatening tactics to get money. finally I had enough of their threats and turned in an official complaint to the MS Attorney General AND called the State Troopers. I was told that this group operates nationwide collecting donations and they really have NO connection with the regular state troopers. Don't walk, RUN from this group! Once the AG threatened a lawsuit against them they quit calling us.

ANY hounding charity needs to be turned over to the AG. That's what they're there for, let them handle the harassing idiots... Okay, off my soap box, but the Trooper one STILL ticks me off.

Carlos Alden
12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey, Gene Howe,

I am amazed at your post about Salvation Army giving out stuff VS the 'other well known organization' selling it to needy people.

...snip...

The 'other' organization would set up a nice trailer in the base camp, where the people not working the fire were, and SELL stuff.

Rick: What is this "other organization?" I'd like to know so I can avoid them...

Carlos

Mick David
12-16-2009, 1:07 PM
What about that organization that has persuaded thousands of employers to “put the squeeze on” employees to donate to their charity. You know who I’m talking about.

+1 to this one. I worked for a company that said "the goal this year is 100% participation." I guess I kept the company from reaching its goal that year.

I actually do participate in that one now (with my current employer), however, because you can direct your entire contribution to an affiliated charity of your choice and get a company match on top of it.

The tactics are awful. Charity is supposed to be about voluntarily contributing -- not being squeezed.