PDA

View Full Version : AAMA DXF files

Jon Colley
12-09-2009, 4:54 PM
Does anyone have an easy way to convert an AAMA DXF file into a standard AutoCAD DXF or any other standard vector file format? If you need to see the file I am working with, please PM me. It's not my file so I cannot post it freely.

The AAMA DXF file format has a slightly different structure than the AutoCAD DXF fles that we are all used to. This special format is commonly used by dedicated CAD packages that assist clothing designers to create patterns.

Gary Sheriff
12-09-2009, 8:19 PM
Jon - please email me the file.

Dan Hintz
12-10-2009, 6:37 AM
A short article on the format:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3638/is_2_42/ai_66936830/pg_2/

A major downside of ANSI/AAMA 292 DXF is that its documentation is not very clear in its definitions and leaves room for interpretation, which has created anomalies. Moreover, the standard does not include a grade rule growth specification, and the DXF structure is limiting and restricting in the amount of information that can be expressed. Also, it does not relate pieces.

Jon Colley
12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I was able to import this into EngraveLab 7.0 and after a bit of cleanup I have finally have a working file.

I just thought I would post the "fix" in case anyone else runs into this format.