PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Pocket Hole joinery folks

Jerome Hanby
12-09-2009, 1:38 PM
I'll have a K3 Master set after Christmas (thanks Santa) and am already seeing projects where it would work well. I've seen several assortments of pocket screws and will probably pick one up, but I figure I'll run out of the most useful size fast. The trick is figuring out the most useful size in advance. What screws do you most often use? I'm thinking I'll be mostly attaching 3/4" material to other 3/4" material.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Rimmer
12-09-2009, 1:50 PM
I bought a packaged set from McFeely's and am watching to see what I run out of and then will go from there.

Dave Gaul
12-09-2009, 1:52 PM
I've only had mine for a short time, < 1 year, but love it so far when needed!

For 3/4" material, you want 1 1/4 inch screws. You'll want fine threads for hardwoods, and course threads for softwood or particle board/mdf & plywood.

Dave Novak
12-09-2009, 2:33 PM
What Dave said, plus 1. You'll need 1 1/4 for 3/4 material. However, I really like these screws a lot, and use them for many other applications. As such, I bought several 1000 count boxes of several sizes. I just scan Amazon every day and grab a box when they're on sale.

Jason White
12-09-2009, 2:54 PM
I use 1-1/4" coarse-thread screws the most, as I use a lot of 3/4" material (plywood, etc.).

Jason

I'll have a K3 Master set after Christmas (thanks Santa) and am already seeing projects where it would work well. I've seen several assortments of pocket screws and will probably pick one up, but I figure I'll run out of the most useful size fast. The trick is figuring out the most useful size in advance. What screws do you most often use? I'm thinking I'll be mostly attaching 3/4" material to other 3/4" material.

Thanks in advance.

Lee Schierer
12-09-2009, 3:19 PM
I've used the 1-1/4 fine threads exclusively since I work mostly with hard woods. They also seem to work very well in better grade plywoods. The Kreg brand was much better than the Porter Cable brand screws I tried once. I've never had a Kreg screw break. I bought a box of 1,000 at a wood show a few years ago and it is getting low so I would be interested in how this thread turns out and where the best prices are for screws.

Bob Elliott
12-09-2009, 3:38 PM
I bought a box of 1000 each 1 1/4" coarse and fine screws at Custom Service Hardware. I am very pleased with them.

Matt Meiser
12-09-2009, 4:07 PM
I use the 1-1/4 in both fine and coarse plus some 1" coarse. I should probably have 1" fine but don't. I've used virtually none of the long ones, but enough to say that I'd keep them around. I always use Kreg or McFeelys (sometimes Kreg FROM McFeelys.)

glenn bradley
12-09-2009, 4:27 PM
+1 on 1-1/4" for 3/4" to 3/4" material. I also use 1" for 1/2" BB ply drawer bodies. Mc Feely's often has $1 shipping and ships fast. As opposed to buying a bunch to see what you use, I might buy 1-14" and 1" in coarse and fine and see what they won't do for you and then order what you need. I use the same philosophy on router bits although I now find myself with a lot of router bits; more different types than PH screws anyway ;-).

Rick Gooden
12-09-2009, 4:42 PM
I use 1 1/4" fine and coarse, as well as 1 1/2". I have used screws from a lot of different places and find these to be my favorite, and they also come with a handy reusable container, and I have always received free shipping. http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/7MaxiLoc_WHF-1-1_4F-500ct/productinfo/WHF4/

Johnnyy Johnson
12-09-2009, 6:17 PM
Not trying to get a battle started...but I have the Kreg kit master kit for about 6 years. It's the best thing since sliced bread...However, I have since bought 2 of the jigs from Harbor Freight for $69 each. They by far work better for me than any of the Kreg Jigs. I know that Kreg is the founding jig people with the jigs..but it is not rocket science. The Harbor Frieght pocket hole Jig is my first choice...buy one prove me wrong!!..again...just MHO

Jim Kountz
12-09-2009, 6:42 PM
Not trying to get a battle started...but I have the Kreg kit master kit for about 6 years. It's the best thing since sliced bread...However, I have since bought 2 of the jigs from Harbor Freight for $69 each. They by far work better for me than any of the Kreg Jigs. I know that Kreg is the founding jig people with the jigs..but it is not rocket science. The Harbor Frieght pocket hole Jig is my first choice...buy one prove me wrong!!..again...just MHO

Ok I'll play the part of the fish here and take the bait. What makes the HF "far better" than the Kreg. Ive had the Kreg for some time now and cant imagine something being "far better". Equal maybe. So what say you Johnnyy.

Matt Meiser
12-09-2009, 7:26 PM
That looks pretty nicely made for Harbor Freight. The main difference I see are that its made of metal, spacing is adjustable and they apparently use a different drilling angle for 1/2" material.

Catalog Page (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96264) Manual (http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96264.pdf)

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2009, 8:23 PM
I am using 1 1/4" Kreg Hi-Lo screws and they are working good so far.

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2009, 8:43 PM
1 1/4" is best for 95% of projects if using 3/4" stock...

Nick Lazz
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks in advance.

+1 on the 1-1/4" screws. I use the coarse thread mostly and like the screws both with and without pocket holes.
Do not waste your time with the pan heads. Others may have a different opinion but I have found little to no use with that particular style. Plus they do not seat in the bottom of the pocket hole very well, depth wise. Stick with the washer head. My $.02.

Keith Christopher
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I've only had mine for a short time, < 1 year, but love it so far when needed!

For 3/4" material, you want 1 1/4 inch screws. You'll want fine threads for hardwoods, and course threads for softwood or particle board/mdf & plywood.

Fine and coarse threads are a MUST. They are the difference between splitting and not splitting. And yes I agree with the size fro 3/4 stock.

Dave Novak
12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I am using 1 1/4" Kreg Hi-Lo screws and they are working good so far.

I'm sur ethis is a dumb question, but I'm not that sharp anyway. What are the hi-lo screws designed for? I have a box simply because they were on sale, but have never used them since I never figured out their intended purpose. Is it plywood?

Rick Fisher
12-10-2009, 2:39 AM
1 1/4" is #1 .. but I use a lot of 1" as well.

For holding table tops to aprons.. I have had the 1 1/4" pop through..

Phillip Bogle
12-10-2009, 3:22 AM
I agree with all the size comments and I have had my K3 for about 2 years (maybe longer since time zips by anymore) and I have used the pocket screws in more places than one could imagine. I built a wall through the center of my wife's store, and I used the pocket screws for framing the entire project. I have gone through a box of 1000 2" coarse thread washer head screws. When working with 2x4 or 2x? you will want the 2" for that size stock. You will love the way that your framing for even outdoor projects work so nice. I saw photos of a whole fence that was assembled using pocket screws. My garden gates (all 6 of them) have held up better than my nailed versions ever did. I had to replace a ceiling fan and proper blocking had to be added. I love the fact that I can add angled screws into blocking, between joists (very tight fit, no hammer swing space) and the 2" screws made the day. Most of you are probably better at nailing than I am, but I did not think it was much slower to pocket screw, and I think the joint is stronger. I may be alone on that opinion, but it seems stronger to me.

I just bought the micro jig and got the 3/4" pan head screws for 1/2" stock and didn't like the hold so I went to 1" pan head which hold better. If you build drawers or face frames the micro jig is worth the money.

Rick Fisher
12-10-2009, 3:28 AM
I should have added, I use Kreg screws for all sorts of stuff.. They are the best screws I ever used..

I buy the boxes of 500 .. for about $12.50 ?? (guessing) .. So they are about 2.5 cents each ??

That is cheap for a screw of that quality..

Richard Wagner
12-10-2009, 6:14 AM

OKAY, call me biased but I cannot imagine anything from HF being "far better" unless price is your only criteria.

Jerome Hanby
12-10-2009, 8:54 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the information. I bought the Kreg assortment and a 1000 pack of the 1-1/4" coarse screws to get me started. Hopefully the assortment will last me on other sizes I find a use for until I can order bulk.

I've got a clamp question, but I'll start another thread for that.

You guys rock!

Scott Vantine
12-10-2009, 9:23 AM
+1 with the washer head screws! I use lots of the 1 1/4 fine and course thread as most material I work with is 3/4. But I like to have some 1" around for fastening tops and such!