PDA

View Full Version : Jointer (G0490) Assembly

Matt Kestenbaum
12-09-2009, 1:28 PM
After reading lots of thread hear re choosing an 8" jointer, I am settling on a Grizzly G0490. Was reading the owners manual online and saw the assembly directions. Since I don't have access to a forklift and don't have a crane/lifting hoist either...not sure sure what I am planning yet. Surely someone has been down this road before me...any experience to share on mounting all that iron to the stand?
Matt

Cary Falk
12-09-2009, 1:34 PM
I picked up my Shop Fox W1741 (G0490's brother) from the terminal. I unloaded the stand. I uncrated the jointer in the truck. I got 2 other neighbors to help me slide the jointer from the back of the truck to the top of the stand.

Augusto Orosco
12-09-2009, 2:44 PM
After reading lots of thread hear re choosing an 8" jointer, I am settling on a Grizzly G0490. Was reading the owners manual online and saw the assembly directions. Since I don't have access to a forklift and don't have a crane/lifting hoist either...not sure sure what I am planning yet. Surely someone has been down this road before me...any experience to share on mounting all that iron to the stand?
Matt

I have a G0656 (8" jointer; 72" bed), so I don't know if this will apply to you: A neighbor helped me lift the bed on top of the stand. It took us 10 secs and we didn't break a sweat. Everythying else, I installed without any help, no problem.

Jason Hanko
12-09-2009, 2:52 PM
Mines on its way too - should be here tomorrow afternoon (assuming the 12+ '' of snow we got last night doesnt delay things too badly). On the bright side we've all got a snow day, so Im spending the day pre-reading the manual too.
From the threads Ive read here, two reasonably fit individuals should be able to lift the bed up onto the stand without too much trouble. Three people would probably be safer, but Im guessing you'd be fine with two.
A few tips Ive picked up from theads here: dont forget to unbolt the bed from the wooden shipping crate before trying to lift it! Also, get most of the cosmoline off the bottom of the bed/top of the stand as its slippery, and you dont want the bed sliding right off as soon as you set it down on top.
Theres also a few minor modifications Ive seen recommended for this model - one to close off the dust chute for more efficient chip collection, and another to keep the motor from jumping on startup and causing belt slap.

Darrell Bade
12-09-2009, 3:22 PM
I was thinking the motor also needed moved somehow from its shipping postion before you put the bed on the base. Am I remember this correctly?

Caleb Larru
12-09-2009, 3:48 PM
I was thinking the motor also needed moved somehow from its shipping postion before you put the bed on the base. Am I remember this correctly?

I think you have to mount the motor. I remember it being a pain to align. Other than that it was not too bad as long as you have help lifting the bed.

Stan Mitchell
12-09-2009, 3:56 PM
Ya, you just need one person on each end of the bed to set it on the stand.

My wife :eek: was the other person. So, it's not near as difficult as it would appear.

Anthony Whitesell
12-09-2009, 8:46 PM
I think you have to mount the motor. I remember it being a pain to align. Other than that it was not too bad as long as you have help lifting the bed.

Yep. It's a pain. Long reach and a heavy heavy motor. I used a small floor car jack (not a bottle or scissor jack, the other kind...like you see during NASCAR races) to lift the motor into position and later to support it while I adjusted after the bed was put on.

Anthony Whitesell
12-09-2009, 8:48 PM
A few tips Ive picked up from theads here: dont forget to unbolt the bed from the wooden shipping crate before trying to lift it!

I didn't have too. Mine came unbolted during shipping. :mad: :eek:It took me quite a while to figure out what those other two bolts in the bed were for. :rolleyes:

Cliff Holmes
12-10-2009, 6:18 AM
My wife and I lifted the bed up onto the stand without any real difficulty. She's definitely stronger than the average woman, but two ordinary guys would have no issues.

As for mounting/aligning the motor, the newer stands have a removable back, so it's not the hassle it used to be. It *is* heavy, so I also used a small floor jack to hold it while inserting the bolts.

Barry wines
12-10-2009, 9:55 AM
I brought my shop fox 1741 home on my pickup the other night and the fellows that were helping me to unload it didnt have time to stick around
while i uncrated it and got the stand ready to accept the bed so we just set the stand in the shop and slid the box that the bed is in off the truck on 2x6's. So now I have to wait until i can get help picking the bed up onto the stand. I was thinking that it would take 3 or 4 guys but i am not sure after reading the previous posts. I was always under the impression
that picking the bed up by the infeed and outfeed tables was a bad idea-yes or no?

Christopher Kanda
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I got mine last spring and put it in my basement with the help of 1 friend. I ended up lifting the bed on to the base a few days later all by myself using wood bases. It's a heavy machine but not bad if you take your time and think it through. I also have the 1023slx saw and got that down with just 1 friend. we also lifted it into it's mobile base. My wife and my father in law never thought i would get them down the stairs. brains over muscle every time.

Myk Rian
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I was always under the impression
that picking the bed up by the infeed and outfeed tables was a bad idea-yes or no?
I don't like doing that either. I bought a 1 ton HF chain hoist to lift things. Wrap a chain around a garage joist, put a brace in down to the floor, and hoist away.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-10-2009, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the input! I am impressed... by the strength of your wives! :D Just kidding.

I'm not sure the LOML is up for it, and well, I guess we'll find out soon enough if I have a big enough bean.

In all seriousness, I very much appreciate hearing that this can be accomplished in a few different ways. I have been looking at the latest Harbor Freight circular and the 1 ton chain hoist is on sale...combined with a 20% Wood Mag coupon and it may be the way I go. I also considered buying the 1 ton engine hoist/folding shop crane at HF...I know its a bit unethical but if the extra service plan is bought too it is returnable even after use. I think the chain hoist is cheaper. Positioning the motor while mounting sounds like an important watch out.

The concerns about lifting by the tables had my eyebrows raised. The manual shows lifting straps under the bed (slipped over each bed end). How else or by what other grab points can it be done?

I would love see a photo(s) of the incremental wood block method!

Matt

Cary Falk
12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I would love see a photo(s) of the incremental wood block method!

Matt

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/incrementalblockmethod.jpg

rinse and repeat till you are at the correct height

Jason Hanko
12-11-2009, 2:24 AM

I just got mine assembled tonight - Ill probably do a more in depth thread later, but I can quickly share how I mounted the motor as it was not problem.

1) After removing both the front and back panels, tip the entire base onto its front side (the pulley side of the motor is up)
2) Slide some spacer blocks between the ground (I laid down cardboard) and the motor - I found that three 3/4'' pieces of plywood scrap was perfect - they came to about 1/8'' below the motor (Picture 1).
3) Undo the two bolts holding the motor to the top of the cabinet. The motor will sink slightly and sit on your scrap base.
4) Slide/rotate motor on its handy plywood base over to the motor mounting bracket (Picture 2)
5) Well look at that - the holes are lined right up! Bolt away, no lifting required. (Picture 3)

As for getting the bed up onto the cabinet - piece of cake. My neighbor and I lifted it right up with no problems (and Im not the biggest guy in the world...or even on the block). Two reasonably strong people should have no problem getting that thing up there; IMHO a chainfall/hoist is definitely overkill unless you have no help.

Don Bullock
12-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Jason, what a great idea! I sure wish I had thought of doing it this way on my G0490.